Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 10:32 AM

31 posts, read 121,252 times

Advertisements

I graduated from IUP in 2002. Since I have graduated, the college was then and is now continuing its growth. There are now newer buildings than Eberly and they are currently building new dorm facilities. Unfortunately I wasn't an Accouting major so I really can't help you there, but I am from the area, and my familiy still lives there so if you have any questions, just let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 09:22 PM

52 posts, read 171,623 times
Thanks Christine... I sent my transfer applications to IUP, Cleveland State, and Marshall a few weeks ago.... IUP and Cleveland State are my favorite 2 with Marshall being a distant third... The atmospheres at IUP and Cleveland State are completely different being that Cleveland State university is located smack in the middle of downtown Cleveland ( population 400,000 +) and IUP is smack in the middle of a county with 79,000 people.... Which off campus would you recommend for students with a budget..? I am looking to live alone because I know that IUP has a big reputation for having rowdy students.... Would you recommend the " Apartment Store " complex? I read that its in the ghetto but when I drove by it on my campus visit it seemed alright... If everything goes well I plan on driving down to Indiana and checking out a couple of apartments in the summer.... Also,are Harrisburg, Altoona,and Philadelphia hot spots for recruitors? Harrisburg is filled with Accounting jobs being that its the state capital and has lots of government offices... All of your information and help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:21 PM

Yes, IUP is located in a small town which can be good and bad. Basically the university makes the town, a population of 79,000 is probably when the students are there. When the students are not there, the town is pretty quiet. Well, just driving by the Apartment Store complex or the Carriage House complex (which is right next door) it does look like it would be ok. Since I was there last, about 5 years ago, it was what the reviews about it say it is. The place is decent, but if you want a quiet atmosphere I don't think that this is the place for you. There really is no "Ghetto" place in Indiana either. It might be a bit hard to find a single person apartment, since many people do live with roommates, but it is possible. If you are looking to transfer next Fall, then I would start looking for a place ASAP, as the apartments go fast. I had a friend who lived by herself at the Westgate Terrace apartment complex, which is by the mall, so you would need a car to drive to class as it is too far away to walk to class. There are apartment houses near and around campus and downtown that are for students also. I lived in an apartment house on Philadelphia Street for four years and it was about a 10min walk to campus every day. An apartment house may be your best bet. I know that THE PENN, which is the school paper has classified ads that list available housing. I think their website, www.thepenn.org might have some listings too. Also, the Indiana Gazette has listings there too so you might want to check out their website.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:42 PM

Thanks Christine.... My second choice was Westgate Terrace apartments.... What can you tell me about those apartments..? Those websites that you gave really helped a lot....

Old 01-12-2007, 07:16 AM

I liked Westgate. The good thing about those apartments are that they are not primarily for students, so you will have some small families there or some young professionals. It is quiet there as the complex is away from campus. I'm not sure what her rent was though, but the one bedroom apartment was nice.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:52 PM

Christine.... Whis part of the state do you currently work in? Where did most of your friends relocate to after graduation..? Thanks...!

Old 01-15-2007, 08:02 AM

Well, right now I am working in Northeastern PA at a college. I moved to this area because I knew that I wanted to work for a college when I graduated, and this part of PA has a lot of them. While this is a nice place to live for now, I do not intend on living my whole life here.
Actually most if not all of my friends that graduated from IUP have relocated to other states, SC, NC, FL, OH and they are all doing well.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:21 AM

10 posts, read 12,301 times
Quote:
Would you recommend the " Apartment Store " complex? I read that its in the ghetto but when I drove by it on my campus visit it seemed alright
The reality is that maybe 20% of the Carriage House tennants are black college students. If you consider the ghetto to be anywhere black people constitute more the 15% of the population, irregardless of crime, economic class, etc, then I guess you could call Carriage House the ghetto. The other Apartment Store bulding is called Essex House and consists of single person loft style apartments.

Westgate Terrace is exactly as Christina said. The 1 bedroom apartments have...1 bedroom, small bathroom in bedroom, small kitchen, small livingroom.

I think you can get either place for under $600 per month.

Across the street from Carriage House are Oakland-Ronney Apartments. These are basically off-campus single-room one-bathroom-per-floor dorms. If you consider the ghetto to be anywhere where things are trashy and low class, then this is definitely the ghetto of IUP

Old 01-15-2007, 10:25 AM

10 posts, read 12,301 times
One more thing. I don't want to meddle in your life, but if maximizing future success is one of your priorities, you are crazy to choose IUP over Penn State or Pitt.

I went to IUP and I went to PSU....I'm promise you that these are two completely different classes of school.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:04 PM

Christina its good to hear that an IUP degree does not limit you geographically. Wow... NE Penn that seems like a really long drive.... Archaire thanks for your advice.... I am trying to determine if I can be competitive with Accounting graduates from other western Pa schools. I will never compare Pitt or Penn State to IUP.... One huge reason is that PITT and Penn State are prestigious and known through out the country while IUP is mostly state ( and in some instances not even that)...... The reason I like IUP is because it seems to have the qualities that will help me develop not only academically but also socially... I think its more important to attend a school that makes you a more rounded person than a school that will just get you. diploma with a respected name.

In terms of apartments.... The leasing office at " The Apartment Store " recommended the Essex house and thats what we have been talking about.... Its a little pricy but thats what I should of expected living by myself....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania