Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 09:15 AM

8,071 posts, read 7,432,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

The Republicans may be promoting it for self-serving reasons, but a recall law applying only to cities of the first class would simply restore that status quo ante.
I'm not interested in this as an R vs D issue. If Krasner were to leave office for any reason, he would almost certainly be replaced by a Democrat. But there was a time when Democrats produced DA's who prosecuted criminals, and I believe we can get back to that status if we want to.

Krasner is able to overwhelm opponents and win primaries easily because of outside money, and then cruises to victory in November against a Republican patsy. If people don't like the idea of Harrisburg or upstate red counties meddling in Philly's affairs, then why is nobody complaining about the outside PAC money influencing the primaries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2022, 09:27 AM

14,169 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I'm not interested in this as an R vs D issue. If Krasner were to leave office for any reason, he would almost certainly be replaced by a Democrat. But there was a time when Democrats produced DA's who prosecuted criminals, and I believe we can get back to that status if we want to.

Krasner is able to overwhelm opponents and win primaries easily because of outside money, and then cruises to victory in November against a Republican patsy. If people don't like the idea of Harrisburg or upstate red counties meddling in Philly's affairs, then why is nobody complaining about the outside PAC money influencing the primaries?
Personally, I wouldn't mind it if the General Assembly passed a Philadelphia-only recall law. I think that power is a useful one to have.

Old 09-13-2022, 02:19 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
The Pa. House voted to hold Philly DA Larry Krasner in contempt for defying a subpoena

Quote:
The Pennsylvania House has voted 162-38 to find Philly DA Larry Krasner in contempt of the institution for not accepting subpoenas from a House committee investigating him and his office. Krasner has challenged the subpoenas in court.
Among the interesting votes: -Josh Shapiro's running mate Austin Davis (D. Allegheny) was a yes. 10 Philly lawmakers voted yes (Brown, Burgos, Cruz, Guenst, Hohenstein, Isaacson, Neilson, Parker, Solomon, Boyle)

Old 09-13-2022, 02:34 PM

Saw that today. Nakisha Billa, the mother of a 21-year-old kid murdered at the Philadelphia Mills Mall when he went to buy a pair of pants for a job interview, has been speaking out.

“The person who murdered my son has a rap sheet that is long. If only the job was done correctly, he would not have been out on the street, and Domonic would be here,” said an emotional Billa.
“I'm urging, whatever it takes, please hold these people accountable for their actions. They're out here on the streets committing murders after murders, because no one is held accountable.”

https://www.audacy.com/kywnewsradio/...ticize-krasner
https://www.foxnews.com/us/us-mall-v...pike-shootings

Old 10-09-2022, 12:20 PM

837 posts, read 853,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Philadelphia has always been a violent city- leading the nation in Homicides in 2006 before Krasner Kenney and Outlaw… The problem is much deeper than electing a new DA
In the city's history, there's always been conflicts between different groups such as when the Irish competed for jobs against Blacks back in the 1840's if you want to look at the history of violence in the city. And there's always been gangs, mobs, and organized crime a la La Cosa Nostra (Angelo "the Gentle Don" Bruno, Philip "Chicken Man" Testa, "Skinny" Joey Merlino, etc.).

Believe it or not, the city was the safest city in the country when the Cisco Kid, Frank Rizzo was running Philadelphia from 1972 until 1980, then during the 1980's Philadelphia, as well as New York, DC, Chicago, Detroit, and many other cities laid siege as crack cocaine infiltrated the inner cities and those cities have never been the same again.

You're right, Philadelphia has always had a violent history going back to the Revolutionary War (Valley Forge, etc.), but right now let me say that the guy who's currently the DA (Krasner) and the mayor (Kenney) has the helm of what may be the most violent city in the country and I wouldn't be surprised if Philadelphia beats Chicago and New Orleans for that title this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Wolf will not fire Krasner, because he is a fellow wokester. The future of Pa hangs in the balance. November, there must be a Republican Gov voted in to stop the madness.
If Mastriano gets elected as governor, one of the first things he'll do is to fire Krasner, but if Shapiro gets elected, he'll look out for his fellow comrade no matter how violent the city ends up, and I still don't understand why some want to vote for Shapiro since it's Shapiro's mess as well as Krasner's mess and another reason why I'm not voting in the general election.

Quote:
There is no point in anyone fantasizing about a Republican DA in Philly in the near future.

I think almost any DA would prosecute all crimes more than Krasner has done.
We had a chance on electing Vega, who I felt was a more competent Democrat candidate and would've been the first Latino elected citywide and I wonder why the Latino community didn't do more to endorse and support him. I didn't vote in the DA election, but either way, Krasner had more votes and now Philly is just too violent.

Old 10-09-2022, 04:11 PM

14,169 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
If Mastriano gets elected as governor, one of the first things he'll do is to fire Krasner, but if Shapiro gets elected, he'll look out for his fellow comrade no matter how violent the city ends up, and I still don't understand why some want to vote for Shapiro since it's Shapiro's mess as well as Krasner's mess and another reason why I'm not voting in the general election.
Neither governors nor state attorneys general have any power to fire district attorneys, who are not appointed but elected by voters in each of the state's 67 counties. This seems to be a very widespread misconception among voters this year.

The only way a DA can be removed from office without losing an election is if the General Assembly impeaches and convicts them. Bad policy decisions are not grounds for impeachment.

Old 10-11-2022, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
We had a chance on electing Vega, who I felt was a more competent Democrat candidate and would've been the first Latino elected citywide and I wonder why the Latino community didn't do more to endorse and support him. I didn't vote in the DA election, but either way, Krasner had more votes and now Philly is just too violent.
I'm coming late to the Krasner scene, after Philly lawlessness went national. But it seems he beat Carlos Vega by a 67%-33% margin in the 2021 primary. There's not much the local Latino community could have done about a margin like that, given the amount of outside money that poured in to support Krasner and the fact that he was an incumbent. And of course Krasner won in November by an even bigger margin against a symbolic Republican candidate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The only way a DA can be removed from office without losing an election is if the General Assembly impeaches and convicts them. Bad policy decisions are not grounds for impeachment.
Impeachment is always a political choice, and describing the grounds for impeachment is a marketing job. If the Legislature had something to gain by impeaching Krasner, they would do it. A cynic might say that leaving Krasner in place is better for Republicans than impeaching him. A cynic might also say that 72% of Philadelphia voters got the District Attorney they deserve.

As for 13 year old Jeremiah Wilcox, he will never get a chance to vote.
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...-lane/3387633/

Last edited by jtab4994; 10-11-2022 at 07:43 AM..

Old 10-12-2022, 02:55 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,450,163 times
Quote:
I'm coming late to the Krasner scene, after Philly lawlessness went national. But it seems he beat Carlos Vega by a 67%-33% margin in the 2021 primary. There's not much the local Latino community could have done about a margin like that, given the amount of outside money that poured in to support Krasner and the fact that he was an incumbent. And of course Krasner won in November by an even bigger margin against a symbolic Republican candidate.

Impeachment is always a political choice, and describing the grounds for impeachment is a marketing job. If the Legislature had something to gain by impeaching Krasner, they would do it. A cynic might say that leaving Krasner in place is better for Republicans than impeaching him. A cynic might also say that 72% of Philadelphia voters got the District Attorney they deserve.

As for 13 year old Jeremiah Wilcox, he will never get a chance to vote.
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...-lane/3387633/
Fortunately, in the timespan of less than a year, I think many more Philadelphians have become fed up with Krasner. Even many of the self-described "leftists." Most Philadelphians see the need to send a very different message to violent criminals.

The precedent for impeachment is that an elected official has done something overtly and severely unlawful or criminal. It is true that "severe" is somewhat subjective. But it should be taken seriously when one must consider that you are undoing the results of an election. Yes, I already hear the Republican talking point now that the first impeachment of Trump was a sham (or whatever), to which I disagree, but we aren't getting into national politics here.

I voted against Krasner. I talked with one colleague and lifelong Philadelphian about the matter, and she is convinced he is but one part of the problem these days. But to suggest overthrowing the will of Philadelphians because we don't agree with his approach is wrong. Persuasion is surely the most effective and optimistic strategy.

Yes, it is obvious that the Pennsylvanian and US political landscape is quite cynical these days. Your conclusion kind of says to me that you have disdain for misguided people. I hope you reform that approach. It is kind of a dead end, and yes, cynical approach. I guess I shouldn't be surprised the Republicans in Pennsylvania nominated the two most cynical candidates for statewide office that they could. An author for whom I have much respect was introducing his book at a book talk when he said something to the effect of, "...these days are different. We have lost our imagination. We are at a political moment in which we have forgotten about the power of dreaming, and have come to accept only the options that appear immediately before us."

In these cynical times, that really spoke to me. When I see vitriolic sh*t spewed all over the interwebs, it makes me feel a bit hopeless for our state. But I know all things go, and this too shall pass.

Old 10-12-2022, 05:51 AM

9,331 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
The precedent for impeachment is that an elected official has done something overtly and severely unlawful or criminal. It is true that "severe" is somewhat subjective. But it should be taken seriously when one must consider that you are undoing the results of an election. Yes, I already hear the Republican talking point now that the first impeachment of Trump was a sham (or whatever), to which I disagree, but we aren't getting into national politics here.
This. Krasner is a lousy DA, but simply doing a bad job as an elected office holder is not tantamount to exhibiting overt corruption, lawlessness, or other improprieties that would warrant impeachment proceedings. During Krasner’s first primary run, when I was still a City resident, I voted for Negrin but would have been equally happy with Khan (but I digress).

And regardless, throwing their weight around to impeach County officials is a precedent that the General Assembly should be loathe to set (as much as the GOP may think they have a permanent lock on our Commonwealth’s legislature).

Old 10-12-2022, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Yes, it is obvious that the Pennsylvanian and US political landscape is quite cynical these days. Your conclusion kind of says to me that you have disdain for misguided people. I hope you reform that approach. It is kind of a dead end, and yes, cynical approach.
You hope I can reform my approach? How about you guys in Philly change your approach and start electing people who will bring safety back to the city? "The government you elect is the government you deserve" was originally said by Thomas Jefferson, a guy who spent some time in Philly. Democracy always leads to more elections (although sometimes they can't come soon enough) and is not a dead end. I'm sorry my expression of disappointment and frustration makes you think I'm the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
And regardless, throwing their weight around to impeach County officials is a precedent that the General Assembly should be loathe to set (as much as the GOP may think they have a permanent lock on our Commonwealth’s legislature).
True. Eventually the Democrats will have control of the legislature and it's best not to set up random future Republican DA's for "revenge impeachments". I'd rather see the voters have some kind of recall tool like they have in California although I know nothing about the nuts & bolts of how it works.

= = = = = = = = = = = =

Yesterday I clicked around for info about Larry Krasner's recent re-election results, and I was surprised to see a number of links to articles about shootings that happened in Philadelphia in just the previous day or two. I don't know if Philly was a zoo in the 1970's like NYC was, but it has never been like this before in my adult lifetime and it seems like it's happened very fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania