Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 09:42 AM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Seriously, it's a bad time to start talking about releasing old criminals when we're not even locking up new ones.
Not necessarily.

Yes, if we're not putting people in prison who should be there, that's a subject we need to address. But keeping those who no longer need to be in prison there has no impact on that. The two issues are completely separate from each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2022, 10:38 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Not necessarily.

Yes, if we're not putting people in prison who should be there, that's a subject we need to address. But keeping those who no longer need to be in prison there has no impact on that. The two issues are completely separate from each other.
We've spent 8 pages, and counting, discussing the reform of felony murder laws in PA. I'm not against some reforms, but where is the governor on clemency for some of the apparently egregious cases you've mentioned?

How much time have we spent on reducing spontaneous violent crime and random acts of violence that have skyrocketed in the Commonwealth in the last 2+ years?

Old 09-27-2022, 11:42 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
Again, TBT if you want to be a mod, ban bull**** like this or go back to your day job. This is complete bull****.

Ban me!

Old 09-27-2022, 11:44 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
You are full of ****. Go back to hating minorities in your hellhole of a life.

Old 09-27-2022, 02:24 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Imagine thinking that RNCResearch has any credibility and that blatantly right-wing propaganda is actually persuasive to reasonable people.

Talk about grasping at straws.

Old 09-27-2022, 03:07 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,451,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Exactly my point. Crime is up everywhere, so why defend criminals at this time? It shows Fetterman is tone deaf.

Oh, and if you want me to believe Larry Krasner can walk and chew gum show me the video. It's plausible that he can do neither.

Crime was up in 2021. It's not like Fetterman made this speech 10 years ago. It was only last year.

I can see if he made these remarks in 1996, 2007, or 2018 when the economy was great and people were likely to feel secure. But in a time of high crime, inflation, and recession like we have today the voters' mood has changed.

John Fetterman knows a lot about making fun of people who said "crudite'" instead of "veggie tray", now he has to deal with the fallout from his own words.
“Defend criminals” is quite the mischaracterization. Who is talking about Larry Krasner? Why are you using strawmen to make your point?

Yeah he was making a speech in regards to his present responsibilities, not his 2022 aspirational responsibilities.

Do you see any polling to suggest that there’s a fallout over the speech, or are you just hopeful?

Old 09-27-2022, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
“Defend criminals” is quite the mischaracterization. Who is talking about Larry Krasner? Why are you using strawmen to make your point?
The Wawa incident on Saturday occurred in Philadelphia. If you think anyone can walk and chew gum at the same time, it should at least be the guy in charge of prosecuting criminals in Philly. In my opinion, Fetterman is out of step with the times when he talks about releasing criminals early when we are not even locking up criminals who have committed crimes in 2022.

First, get a handle on current crime. These were not 100 straw men who ransacked the Wawa. Once we do that, then we can talk about early release for certain felony murder convicts.

Old 09-27-2022, 05:20 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,451,831 times
Jtab, Fetterman is not in charge of policing Philadelphia. You are derailing, and your point is irrelevant to the senate race.

Old 09-27-2022, 05:51 PM

837 posts, read 854,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The General Assembly draws the legislative districts. What can a Governor do to sway it other than veto the district map once drawn?
Did Gov. Wolf veto the maps? If he signed both the 2022 State Senate and State Representative maps, then it's official. Gov. Wolf understands this and now that it's official, I'm pretty sure blacks and Latinos won't show up because the candidates don't reflect them, especially in the Lehigh Valley, Berks, and Philadelphia.

And the only battle is really between liberal whites in the city and suburbs and conservative whites in the suburbs and rural areas, and as a black independent voter who's registered Democrat because that was the show in town and who's tired of seeing blacks and Latinos getting the shaft (mainly by the Democrats) and not seeing any political progress, it's best to see both Shapiro and Fetterman beg for minority votes and get their heads bashed while I sit this election out and enjoy my popcorn. That's what you get for not creating any new districts for minorities!!!

Old 09-27-2022, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Jtab, Fetterman is not in charge of policing Philadelphia. You are derailing, and your point is irrelevant to the senate race.
Fine, let's bring it back to Fetterman. I think we have more pressing issues regarding crime in Pennsylvania and he should now, and he should have in 2021 when he was just Lt. Governor, focus on the current spike in crime rather than on a few people he thinks were sentenced too harshly. I think the governor should consider clemency and Fetterman should bring those to Wolf's attention.

5 high school football players were just shot in Pennsylvania today, and one teenage boy died. I don't remember ever hearing a story quite like that, so it does not happen all the time. I'd like to hear John Fetterman's take on that, not just thoughts and prayers, but what we should be doing about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania