Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 05:39 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,434,091 times

Advertisements

You might be a redneck if you're at this fest -- -- themorningcall.com

Why does this sound scary to me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 02:00 AM

160 posts, read 636,053 times
I think the photo sez it all. To disagree with the article at the link, redneck does NOT mean 'working class'. My grandfathers who 'got off the boat' at Ellis Island over 100 years ago entered American society as 'working class' and most of their children were 'working class' after them -- factory workiers, farmers, and so forth. What in #*&@! does being working class have to do with the Civil War and the Confederacy? PA is about the Liberty Bell and Valley Forge (and the Whiskey Rebellion!) as much as it is about Gettysburg.

Why not leave the distorted history out of it, and just have a plain old roaring down home good time?

Old 05-29-2008, 10:03 AM

That's part of the scary part,it's like theyre wannabees of some sort.

I've also heard conflicting stories on how the word redneck was coined,I heard it was from guys who were too poor to afford a shave so they'd shave with whatever they could thus becoming red-necked;

Last edited by StuckPA; 05-29-2008 at 11:16 AM..

Old 05-29-2008, 10:29 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,937,616 times
Another KKK chapter rises in Pennsylvania, led by the Mayor.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Another KKK chapter rises in Pennsylvania, led by the Mayor.
Yea did you see that mayor?? Looks like any of the supervisors I've had at factory jobs;p

Old 05-29-2008, 12:15 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,668,619 times
My understanding of the origination of "redneck" is someone who works manual labor outdoors in the sun, hence the red neck (sunburn).

Old 05-29-2008, 01:10 PM

They got alot of those here in blue collar Philly too so I guess they're also rednecks...
Never heard of city rednecks before

Old 06-03-2008, 03:22 PM

3 posts, read 8,597 times
Sorry but your all wrong. The term redneck goes back to the 30s and had to do with miners.Since many wore scarves that were red, they were known as REDNECKS. My source for this come from my father who was a coal miner.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:05 PM

393 posts, read 1,524,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt View Post
Sorry but your all wrong. The term redneck goes back to the 30s and had to do with miners.Since many wore scarves that were red, they were known as REDNECKS. My source for this come from my father who was a coal miner.
You're 100% correct. I remember seeing that on a documentary about miners.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:29 PM

Location: Rural PA, where we are apparently bitter and cling to spirits and artillery. Well, we ARE gun owners
20 posts, read 74,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post

Oooooooh...VERY scary!!!

My husband, my best friend and the kids attended this festival in Weissport and it was a damn good time- lots of good clean fun. Two bands playing good tunes, face painting, tractor race, games, vendors...Oh yes, it was TERRIFYING! You would probably be shocked to know there was a section where you could buy beer and drink it too, and there were no drunken brawls-much to your disappointment, I'm sure.

There was no quota for nonwhite folks...boo hoo...that must really make the many people on here with whiteaphobia cry...you all whine about others not "trying something new" while you yourselves make a judgement about an event you never even bothered to attend. Sorry there were no sexual assaults like at New York's Puerto Rican parade or shootings like at the latest African American Fest. We missed out on that brand of multiculturalism, very closed minded of us.

I met a lot of fine down to earth folks there, and the proceeds went to build a new playground for the children!

Gosh darn, I'm still traumatized by all the White faces, it was so overwhelming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania