Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2007, 09:15 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,110,133 times

Advertisements

Hi all and a happy new year! I recently purhased a home in clarks summit pa oct. 06 ,I currently live and work in ny which i claim as my primary residence, I will be retiring in oct 07 and must have a ny residence within the 5 boros because i am a law enforcement officer.( until i retire) my question is what is the procedure for obtaining a pa drivers license? I have a ny drivers license at this time and claim the pa home as a vacation home at this time.
any help into this matter will be greatly appreciated, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 07:57 AM

29 posts, read 132,910 times
Post PA Drivers License Info

Hello! Since you're in Clarks Summit, you can go to PENNDOT Photo & Exam Center, 81 Keystone Industrial Park, Dunmore, PA 18512. Online new resident information can be found at: http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/new_resid..._license.shtml According to the site, you'll have to surrender your old license, show proof of residency documents, social security card, and take a vision test. Just make sure to bring with you everything they say or they'll make you come back another time. Hope this helps!

Old 01-08-2007, 11:03 AM

thank you much, appreciate the info

Old 01-08-2007, 04:09 PM

29 posts, read 132,910 times
You're certainly welcome!

Old 01-09-2007, 05:57 PM

2 posts, read 12,986 times
Default Boy are you in for it!

My first PA insurance agent told me that all I hadto do was go to the drivers license center and they'd exchange my NJ license for a PA license.

Ha!

As far as I know, you'll have to take a complete test, just like I did, and oh so many others have! We've all been lied to!

Study and study hard! It's amazing how much of the technical stuff you forget!

But, just to be sure, you should call PENNDOT.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:20 PM

32,602 posts, read 77,235,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock-o-lee View Post
My first PA insurance agent told me that all I hadto do was go to the drivers license center and they'd exchange my NJ license for a PA license.

Ha!

As far as I know, you'll have to take a complete test, just like I did, and oh so many others have! We've all been lied to!

Study and study hard! It's amazing how much of the technical stuff you forget!

But, just to be sure, you should call PENNDOT.
In general, the permit test is a BREEZE---I aced it on the first try! The driving portion, on the other hand, can be a bit tricky, as the official I was with was very strict when it came to parallel parking. Actually, I failed my hands-on portion of the exam TWICE simply because I was awful at parallel parking! Also be forewarned that the Dunmore center's test route forces you to make a left-hand turn onto a busy four-lane roadway, so it might be best to try to schedule an exam for off-peak hours. The center in Hanover Township also drops the speed limit by ten miles per hour as you near the licensing center, so be wary of that as well so you don't fail due to "speed." Good luck!

Old 01-10-2007, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
In general, the permit test is a BREEZE---I aced it on the first try! The driving portion, on the other hand, can be a bit tricky, as the official I was with was very strict when it came to parallel parking. Actually, I failed my hands-on portion of the exam TWICE simply because I was awful at parallel parking! Also be forewarned that the Dunmore center's test route forces you to make a left-hand turn onto a busy four-lane roadway, so it might be best to try to schedule an exam for off-peak hours. The center in Hanover Township also drops the speed limit by ten miles per hour as you near the licensing center, so be wary of that as well so you don't fail due to "speed." Good luck!
O.k I called pendot and you have 60 days to trnsfer your drivers license upon establishing permanent residence. You have to take a vision test, social security card, proof of residence and citizenship,and of course a fee. thanks for the help all,I hope this info can help someone else now.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:44 AM

414 posts, read 1,772,625 times
^^^ Makes sense....when it came time for me to exchange my PA license for a NY license all I had to do was to take the written exam, not another driving test. It was a snap, but take time to bone up on the text they give you to study.....

The amazing thing is that for all the rigorous standards, today's drivers have become so rotten in terms of speeding, tailgating, ignoring the rules by far more than a little and forgoing most driving courtesies (especially 'yielding appropriately') that had been honored for decades. Today, driving is more like automotive combat...very sad.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:01 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,726,888 times
When I moved from NY to PA 13 years ago, I had to take the written permit test. I studied, my Dad was so mad when I passed, he didn't bother to study and failed...more than once . Particular attention on my test was paid to alcohol levels while driving. As far as I was concerned, I didn't need to nkow that becasue I NEVER drink and drive, but you have to know it for the test.
Well, at some point they eliminated having to take the permit test. NYers have not had to do that for some time now.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:29 PM

33 posts, read 176,879 times
Yeah I looked the website.It said as long as you do it within those 60 you don't have to take any test.Thank goodness because we are moving in June to Pa.I was not looking forward to doing that again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania