U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 01:14 PM

38 posts, read 69,534 times
Default Relocate to PA.. 1 month to visit and choose..

Hi!! I really like this forum and all the help we can find here.

HereŽs my story: IŽm married, with a 2 years old son, IŽm 27 years old, born and raised in Brazil, son of US citizen. IŽll relocate to US next year and I chose PA to be my future home state. The reason that I first start thinking in PA was this forum! HereŽs what we are looking for:

-Low crime and good outdoor activities (fishing and hiking)
-No TOO expensive housing (I want a GOOD new 3 bedroom house for $300k)
-Good schools
-4 seasons weather
-A quiet neighborhood but not too far from shopping/dining/beauty salon etc
- IŽll start a business but donŽt need to be in a big city.
- 2 hours from NY and Philly.

So in November IŽll be 1 month in US to try to choose a city/region to relocate next year.

I think maybe renting a car and stopping in hotels will be the best thing for me. I plan to visit a lot of cities.

Here are some cities that I plan to visit:

-Philadelphia
-Scranton/Wilkes-Barre
-West Chester, Radnor, Exton, Nether Providence/Wallingford, Malvern, Horsham, Allentown, Nazareth, East Penn, Doylestown, Easton

Please give me some help for where to go and not to, based in what I want above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 01:46 PM

26,087 posts, read 45,298,359 times
First off, welcome in advance to not only Pennsylvania, but also to the United States! Out of the fifty choices you had, you most certainly made a fine choice, and I am sure you will find something to suit your tastes here in what we call the "Keystone State" (our nickname because in our nation's infancy we were the state that acted like glue to hold America together).

Next, it will indeed be a tough decision to narrow down your options. I am usually biased in suggesting my own home area of Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in the northeastern corner of the state, but there are also drawbacks here; jobs are not very plentiful, and we are the snowiest of these three areas in the winter months.

Since you want to be very near to outdoor activities, I would probably put the city proper of Philadelphia and most of its inner-ring suburbs at the bottom of your list. Unfortunately the next tier of suburbs has some rather expensive housing, but with how shaky the U.S. housing market has been as of late, it should be possible to find a 3-bedroom home for around $300,000 in the second tier of Philadelphia's suburbs (the ones you listed anyhow). There is an oversaturation right now of listings, so a lot of people trying to sell their homes might be willing to negotiate with you.

What type of business venture are you looking to start? It could help us narrow down a better town for you to consider based upon what we feel would be the right "fit" for the right town for a business. I personally think you would be happy with the Clarks Summit area of Northeastern Pennsylvania. You would be about ten minutes from the city of Scranton (pop. 70,000), as well as about ten minutes to a lot of national chain stores (Wal-Mart, Target, Borders, Home Depot, Lowe's, Best Buy, etc.) Housing prices are amongst the most expensive in the region, but $300,000 for a nice home is DEFINITELY possible. The town proper of Clarks Summit has a small downtown area of about two or three blocks with a lot of specialty shops and restaurants; this might be a good place to open up your own business because people in that area like to scope out new places. The town sits at the northern end of I-476, putting you at just over two hours to either Philadelphia or New York City. The town is also part of the Abington Heights School District, which several years ago was ranked amongst the Top 100 Public School Districts in the nation.

If you're interested in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area, please feel free to check out my photo tours. Also, in addition to Easton you may wish to take a look around Bethlehem, especially the town's north side, which is very historic and popular with tourists. In whatever you decide once you narrow down your options a bit more you will find that there are plenty of helpful, friendly people on the Northeastern Pennsylvania, Lehigh Valley, and Philadelphia forums.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:45 PM

I already checked some of your photo tours ScranBarry! Nice work!

Well here in Brazil I have a printshop and I plan to open a printshop/ad agency (3d architecture visualization) AND I want my wife to study for pastry chef and open a bakery or something like that in the future. WeŽll definitely check Scranton area (we love The Office! ) I think the first thing in our list is LIVE well, in a NICE house. First we will have to rent, do you have any idea of how much is rent for a 2 or 3 br house in a nice neighborhood in a city like Clarks Summit?

Old 06-12-2008, 05:43 AM

10,212 posts, read 16,026,505 times
Looking at your Lehigh Valley selections - Allentown, Nazareth, East Penn, Easton- I want to point out that East Penn is a school district, not a town. The towns of Emmaus and Macungie are in East Penn School District. Bethlehem is the most popular of the Lehigh Valley cities, moreso than both Allentown and Easton so you might want to consider it.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:59 AM

97 posts, read 233,671 times
Just to chime in i service york/ adams/cunberland couties in pa. I know that in this area you have the ability to drive to DC and baltimore in one hour. Or two hours to Philly. In this area not only does it offer your wife a range of places to study. but stating business would be ideal in these areas as well. Finding a three bedroom two bath home on some ground could be found for $250.000 to 275.000 easy...let me knoe if you would like some listings and local information. Good Luck

Old 06-16-2008, 01:36 PM

Right now IŽm thinking in relocating to one of these counties:

1- Bucks (central)
2- Lehigh Valley
3- Dellaware
4- Chester

DonŽt know if IŽll have the money to do that. Do you think a household income of U$ 85k/year can I live well in a 3 bdr (or maybe 2) but good/new house in a good suburb neighborhood?

Old 06-16-2008, 06:45 PM

2,322 posts, read 3,396,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enwalker View Post
I already checked some of your photo tours ScranBarry! Nice work!

Well here in Brazil I have a printshop and I plan to open a printshop/ad agency (3d architecture visualization) AND I want my wife to study for pastry chef and open a bakery or something like that in the future. WeŽll definitely check Scranton area (we love The Office! ) I think the first thing in our list is LIVE well, in a NICE house. First we will have to rent, do you have any idea of how much is rent for a 2 or 3 br house in a nice neighborhood in a city like Clarks Summit?
clarks summit...did you say clarks summit..Excellent! I am a retired NYC law
enforcement officer and have a home in clarks summit for 2 years,Love It!
I wouldn't think the rent wouldn't be too much because the homes are affordable
180"s+ very safe,family oriented area,good quality of life,friendly people,believe me,I as a former peace officer would not move here if
it wasn't a good place.Feel free to ask questions,but I must say
scranbarre is the expert on NEPA.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:37 PM

504 posts, read 539,374 times
Default Check out Harrisburg and surrounding areas

Harrisburg is the capitol of the state, has a very stable economy, it has one of the best culinary schools in the state at Harrisburg Area Community College, your business plans would fit well in the type of economy state capitols have, less industrial, more government and academia. Harrisburg is also a good place to get to other places, like NYC, Phila, Baltimore, Washington D.C., and to more rural areas for camping/hiking/cycling that are very close by. I would avoid Harrisburg city schools, they're getting better but the suburban schools are generally considered much better. Also the city, like many others, is experiencing increased crime, gang activity and drug peddling. But the downtown area has revived itself with cool restaurants, theater, hotels and riverfront activity as Harrisburg is located along the scenic Susquehanna River Valley. Scranton is probably one of the best kept secrets in the state, they're trying to re-establish a high speed train line to NYC along an old train line that once existed, if that happens, Scranton will become a suburb of NYC, pretty exciting for those who like that kind of environment. You'll have no trouble getting a nice new 3 bedroom house for 300K wherever you go at this point. Good luck.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:06 PM

26,087 posts, read 45,298,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judd2401 View Post
Scranton is probably one of the best kept secrets in the state, they're trying to re-establish a high speed train line to NYC along an old train line that once existed, if that happens, Scranton will become a suburb of NYC, pretty exciting for those who like that kind of environment.
I'm seriously hoping that this does occur. As an upcoming college graduate in the financial services sector I'm probably going to be forced to commute from my upcoming Scranton loft to Northern New Jersey anyways for employment, so taking the train would only make this much more attractive. I know of MANY other peers who likewise would love to stay in Scranton and the Poconos if there were easier ways to commute to Northern New Jersey and New York City. Ideally our local Chambers of Commerce would lure in better employers than distribution centers, but I suppose when you have such a low educational attainment rate in our area beggars can't be choosers.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:11 AM

Yes, definitely will take a look at Clark Summit. Thanks for the Harrisburg info Judd!

Does anybody think here would be a nice place to live?

The rent is a little expensive I think (U$ 1.700,00 for a 2 bdr) but it is well located (center bucks schools/doylestown near center city).. Does anybody live in a place like this one? What your thoughts about this type of houses?

Last edited by enwalker; 06-17-2008 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: donŽt know if I can post a link to a real state company...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania