U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,897 times

Advertisements

Erie is a nice city
Its an average sized city
100,000+ in the city, about 300,000 in the metro area

The weather is normal for this part of the country
It hits zero degrees in the winter but it also
hits 95 to 100 degrees in the summer

Shopping, recreation, dining, activities are PLENTIFUL
Especially considering the size of the city
Few cities the size of Erie actually have a Civic Center,
A Convention Center, A baseball stadium , A Theater,
A Playhouse, A comedy club, A museum and a lakefront Amphitheater
- And ALL DOWNTOWN !

State street is now " the strip " where there are a bunch
of nightclubs, pubs, bars and lounges.

There is a ski resort about 10 miles southeast of Erie.
We have 4 colleges in the area. 3 of which are very very
very good colleges ( Penn State, Gannon & Mercyhurst ).
The public school system here is actually dynamic.
( People in Erie expect perfection. It's up to the individual and the
family to make sure the child is getting the best education and
doing their homework and learning the lesson).
We have miles and miles and miles of beaches. The city and various
committes offer free festivals, free concerts, free block parties
all summer long.

Some people are pessimistic and " unenlightened " when it
comes to some matters. They complain because a few places
shut down and some jobs were lost but that is no different than
any other place in the country. In the last 5 years jobs have been
cut, lost and eliminated in Detroit, LA , NYC, Atlanta, Charlotte,
Buffalo, Cleveland , etc ..... Erie is no different. No city is immune!
The problem people had was there was a bunch of jobs where all
you basically needed was a GED and you made anywhere from $15
to $30 per hour. Now to get that much money you need some post
secondary training ( technical school, college degree ) and people
complain and complain instead of going back school or enroll
in some type of program to get training and getting more education
( survival of the fittest - you have to adapt just like anywhere else! )

The cost of living is probably among the lowest in the nation.
Average house in the Erie metro area costs about $75,000.
Houses are anywhere from $15,000 to $300,000
Majority of the houses fall between $40,000 and $100,0000

Erie isnt perfect but what city is ?
( None )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 08:38 AM

25,455 posts, read 31,957,858 times
The cost of living in Erie is very low, housing is quite affordable and taxes are reasonable (not out of line with other Pennsylvania cities, although my mom doesn't believe me on that one).

There is a lot to do in Erie, but it's not always well publicized and you have to hunt for it. The colleges -- Mercyhurst, Behrend (a branch of Penn State) and Gannon -- offer a lot of cultural events, concerts, etc., and a lot of it is free. There's a healthy local club/music scene. There's a lot of community theater and a reasonable variety of cultural offerings at the Warner Theater. There's minor league baseball and hockey, horse and auto racing. The countryside has a lot to explore. And then there's that big ol' body of water to the north.

Summers are fabulous in Erie -- cooler, breezier, and yeah, sometimes it rains a lot, but the sunny days make you forget about the cloudy days. Winters are snowy but not outrageously cold, springs comes late, autumns are long and beautiful.

Erie is definitely an extended-family-oriented, shot-and-a-beer town. The big social scene in the summers are church festivals and high school reunions (sometimes you can't tell the difference between the two). Partly because of the somewhat insular mentality, Erie is often stuck in the past, and flounders for ways to bring the city back to its manufacturing heyday (HINT: tourism! Nobody listens to me ... *sigh*); even so, the city government treats the local businesses that do want to stay in town quite badly. Which of course isn't going to bring new business into town, even with that shiny new highway.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:35 PM

492 posts, read 1,614,380 times
I have relatives in Erie and I'm always surprised by the city when I visit. It has some nice neighborhoods in the city, the downtown is decent, and the beaches are a nice alternative to driving 10 hours to the Outer Banks. But then again, I'm from Youngstown, and I'm always excited to see nice neighborhoods within the city limits and businesses downtown. We don't really have that here

Old 10-08-2007, 07:25 PM

28 posts, read 38,235 times
I read the post mentioning horse racing, are there suburbs of erie or rural areas farther from erie that would be considered horse country?

Old 10-08-2007, 07:46 PM

491 posts, read 1,014,739 times
Erie is a great area. I am originally from chautauqua county, ny which is just north of erie county, pa.

Erie, is a very nice city. It is a little spread out and doesn't have great public transportation, but other than that it is great. The cost of living, like anything from Cleveland to Buffalo is very cheap. There is barely any crime, it is very beautiful, and the city has mostly everything you need, in terms of entertainment, etc. The area also has tons of outdoor recreational opportunities.

Im not really sure what else to say about the area, but if anyone has any particular questions, i will be glad to help answer them.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:47 PM

491 posts, read 1,014,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teno View Post
I read the post mentioning horse racing, are there suburbs of erie or rural areas farther from erie that would be considered horse country?
I'm not sure if they would be called "horse country" but there are quite a few horse farms both in erie county, pa and chautauqua county, ny. are you looking to have a horse farm in the area?

Old 10-08-2007, 08:27 PM

28 posts, read 38,235 times
Thank you for your response!
I just graduated from college in Delaware and I'd love to relocate to western PA. I'm trying to find an area where I can gain experience on a horse farm riding, breeding, training, etc and get a job either doing that or in a vet hospital or zoo. I figure there are vet hospitals everywhere, so becoming a technician wouldn't be the difficult part. The hard part is finding a great part of PA I'd be comfortable in that has lots of horses- or at least a decent amount.
Also, a lot of outdoor recreation is important to me. It looks like-from previous posts and from the visit erie webpage- that there are lots of great things to do around erie.

Eventually I do want to have my own farm, I'm just not sure where I'll end up.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:08 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,388,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
'Best beaches in the North East are at Presque Isle! Well, they are very nice anyway. Also a good fishing area , on the lake as well as the tributaries.
'Tons of snow, as in feet. 'About an hours drive from the outlet stores at Grove City. Thats about all I know.
I'd be coming up from Wexford (North of Pittsburgh) just where is Presque Isle? It is a sandy beach on the lake? Thanks!

Old 10-09-2007, 10:10 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,388,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teno View Post
Thank you for your response!
I just graduated from college in Delaware and I'd love to relocate to western PA. I'm trying to find an area where I can gain experience on a horse farm riding, breeding, training, etc and get a job either doing that or in a vet hospital or zoo. I figure there are vet hospitals everywhere, so becoming a technician wouldn't be the difficult part. The hard part is finding a great part of PA I'd be comfortable in that has lots of horses- or at least a decent amount.
Also, a lot of outdoor recreation is important to me. It looks like-from previous posts and from the visit erie webpage- that there are lots of great things to do around erie.

Eventually I do want to have my own farm, I'm just not sure where I'll end up.
Peter's Township south of Pittsburgh has a TON of horse stables and farms. Look into Venetia, McMurray and Peter's Township proper. Good Luck!

Old 10-09-2007, 11:21 AM

153 posts, read 488,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
I'd be coming up from Wexford (North of Pittsburgh) just where is Presque Isle? It is a sandy beach on the lake? Thanks!
You'll be taking I-79N to Erie. When you get near, the signs will direct you to Presque Isle. Erie is pretty easy to get around. The beach has sand and other things. Keep your shoes on.

Look at the map of PA and Erie. See that little finger sticking out into the lake? That's Presque Isle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania