Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 04:27 PM

673 posts, read 4,060,110 times

Advertisements

What is Erie, PA like.

What is the cost of living?
What are the entertainment and recreation oppurtunities?
What is the quality of life like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 03:53 PM

33 posts, read 176,987 times
Good luck.There have been only 2 people that have responded to my inquiries about erie.I don't think alot of people have been there.We are moving in June to Erie.I have found out that the crime rate is really low.Unless you already have a job going up there it my be hard to find one.Just depending on what kind you need.The 2 people that have responded have said really good things about the place.Lots to do.If i find out more i will let you know.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:55 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,052,305 times
Let me know as well. If I move to Oil city, I may want to shop in Erie, hows the shopping and attractions?

Old 01-14-2007, 10:08 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,276,892 times
This website may help
http://www.visiteriepa.com/

Old 01-14-2007, 10:32 PM

20 posts, read 113,022 times
I have lived in Erie for almost 30 years, so I can answer some of your questions, but it would be helpful to have some more information (i.e, married or single, want city living, suburbs, or country, etc)

The cost of living is very low compared to the rest of the U.S. I bought a brand new beautiful 4 bedroom home out in the country on 2 acres for $185K.

Entertainment is probably what you would find in your average mid-sized city.

Recreation: depends on what you like. Excellent hunting, fishing, boating, and snowmobiling. Ski resort nearby. Plenty of good camping within reasonable distances. Poor weather oftens puts a damper on outdoor activities.

Not a bad place to raise a family. Good school systems outside the city of Erie.

Here are some things you should know:

The economy is severly depressed. Businesses are folding up left and right. Big time blue collar city. Very hard to find good paying jobs. The weather stinks! It is considered to be one of the cloudiest cities in the U.S, if not the cloudiest. Rains often. Long, cold & snowy winters. Many humid days in the summer. As soon as my wife is done with college, we are out of there! Hope this helps.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:38 PM

33 posts, read 176,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Let me know as well. If I move to Oil city, I may want to shop in Erie, hows the shopping and attractions?
The Milllcreek Mall looks really nice.It has over 170 stores.Also clothing is tax free.You might already know that but in SC we pay taxes on everything.The zoo looks really nice too.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:00 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,940,477 times
'Best beaches in the North East are at Presque Isle! Well, they are very nice anyway. Also a good fishing area , on the lake as well as the tributaries.
'Tons of snow, as in feet. 'About an hours drive from the outlet stores at Grove City. Thats about all I know.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:33 AM

Quote:
The Milllcreek Mall looks really nice.It has over 170 stores.Also clothing is tax free.You might already know that but in SC we pay taxes on everything.The zoo looks really nice too.
I'm in sc now but lived in pa for about 25 years also items like thread or yarn are tax free because you can make clothing with them.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:34 AM

Also the millcreek mall is nice and easy to navigate.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:45 PM

13 posts, read 58,212 times
What is the cost of living? I am not sure what you are used to, but very very low.

What are the entertainment and recreation oppurtunities? They have a pretty good civic center, many resturants, movies, bars, beaches, waterpark and probably many more things I cannot think of right now.

What is the quality of life like? Depends what are you used too. That is a perspective question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania