Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 08:21 PM

8 posts, read 15,462 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I already made a post on the Pittsburgh forum about this, but I am also open to other cities (except for Philly; it's just not my kind of city).

I am a recent college graduate who has an art degree. I absolutely fell in love with PA, particularly for its exquisite natural beauty (such mountains!), lovely small towns, and mostly cool to cold weather and often cloudy skies (I am SO sick of Texas and am Siberian by birth, so cold is never an issue). I've only been to Altoona other than Pittsburgh, and while I did like it, I heard that the crime situation is getting worse and the job market for anyone like me is abysmal. Things could be changing, I don't know. Are there other cities that would appeal to me? I have a car, but I may or may not bring it. I want to live somewhere with LOTS of mountains and nature around, hence why I loved the drive on 22 from Pittsburgh to Altoona so much. I want reasonable housing and possibilities for a job in the art field (art galleries? photography studios? etc?). I've heard good things about State College, too. If anyone has ANY suggestions, please let me know!

Thank you so much!

~ Valerie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 08:53 PM

3 posts, read 5,510 times
Valerie: You've just got to come to Huntingdon, PA It's midway to state college & Altoona PA, and you've got the luxury of Raystown Lake Great prospects for photo & writing (I'm an Author) and the imagination is endless!! It's all nature! You are
welcome to visit!! You won't be disapointed. Just visit. and you decide, pa is a great place to live... Janet
P.S. I have horses & If you visit you are welcome to come riding or you can use them in your art! Not a problem.
anyway, yu will be welcomed by the Huntingdon people , I'm sure!

Last edited by janet foster; 06-29-2008 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: To make her feel more welcome, In Huntingdon, PA

Old 06-29-2008, 09:01 PM

396 posts, read 837,807 times
Valerie,
I would suggest either Central or South Central PA. If you choose Central PA, there's more small towns and mountains. If you choose south central, there's still a small town feel depending on where you go, but there is also a greater access to city life and you've got plenty of access to the mountains and such. South Central is more in the middle of everything where as central pa is more the edge of the middle of nowhere. lol. I've lived and worked in South Central PA for most of my life (except for 5 years in West Chester) and like it (although I'd love to live in Philly). Hope that helps.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:06 PM

8 posts, read 15,462 times
Janet: Thank you for the recommendation. I'll look into it. Do you know if there are any sorts of apartment complexes in the area? I can go ahead and check with an online search, but if you live there, maybe you'd know.

Morale Officer: I've definitely loved Central PA so far. I see that you are in York; how would that city fare for a college graduate interested in more artistic venues? Thank you so much for your input.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:22 PM

3 posts, read 5,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValeriePF View Post
Janet: Thank you for the recommendation. I'll look into it. Do you know if there are any sorts of apartment complexes in the area? I can go ahead and check with an online search, but if you live there, maybe you'd know.

Morale Officer: I've definitely loved Central PA so far. I see that you are in York; how would that city fare for a college graduate interested in more artistic venues? Thank you so much for your input.
This is Janet,,I don't live in York, I live in Huntingdon, PA, And there are plenty of
apartment complexes here! Juniata state college is our biggest school here and in fact the whole county! It's a must see!!

Old 06-29-2008, 11:32 PM

396 posts, read 837,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValeriePF View Post
The area has a slightly smaller "artistic" community than the big cities, however there are a good group of artists here. A few years ago a group got together to "unite" the different groups together. They formed the "cultural alliance." Also, every year the city has an "Arts Fest." This year it's August 23 & 24. It also depends on what type of artistic venues you are looking for. My cousin works for the Whitaker Center up in Harrisburg that does a lot of theatre stuff. There really aren't many museums down here, but we are a short drive from big museums. As for photography and painting, there are plenty of areas to photograph and paint both around York, and also a short drive away in Hanover, Gettysburg, Lancaster, and Harrisburg. If you are interested in teaching, there are multiple schools in the area that have art programs (post high school i mean) including the Bradley Academy and York College. If you are looking for high school teaching, you'd have to look at the individual web sites for openings. The main reason I would suggest York or Harrisburg to someone like you is that (as I said) basically we are in the middle of everything and there is plenty of oportunity for whatever you are looking for...including some beautiful scenery. And if it's your "thing," there are also plenty of "tags" that you can photograph in the city. If you want some more information on the Cultural Alliance here in York, here's the link: Cultural Alliance of York County, PA
Let me know if you need any other info!

Old 06-30-2008, 07:12 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Have you pondered Northeastern Pennsylvania, more specifically the Poconos or Scranton/Wilkes-Barre? You'd be in a very affordable area convenient to both New York City and Philadelphia. Scranton, the regional hub city, is a former industrial city that now has a growing arts scene, as do both Milford and Stroudsburg, near to the NY and NJ borders, respectively. The region has some absolutely breathtaking natural scenery and architecture that you can obtain a true appreciation for via the photo tours that I and many others have contributed on the Northeastern Pennsylvania sub-forum. I know Marywood University in Scranton has a very strong arts program if teaching ever beckons you. The Everhart Museum here in the Electric City is awesome. I was recently moved by two exhibits. One featured the photography of a photographer who died while taking images of one of our nation's great wars, and the other highlighted the trials and tribulations of the Rwandan Genocide and the women and children who were not only widowed and/or orphaned but also afflicted with HIV/AIDS through being raped by insurgent forces. Scranton has a growing population of young, college-educated professionals, many moving here from Greater New York City in pursuit of a lower cost-of-living and a slower pace of life. Let me know if Northeastern Pennsylvania sounds at all appealing.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:27 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,272,967 times
Default Wilkes-Barre, Pa.

Check out Wilkes-Barre. Nice, affordable, riverfront city in Luzerne County. Decent arts community. Hundreds of millions in downtown revitalization. The downtown is bookended by two colleges. Wilkes-Barre has the 4th largest downtown workforce in the state, an arena, large shopping district, AAA sports francises, national and regional shows. Only two hours from Manhatten and Philly, close by outdoor recreation (hiking, camping, canoeing, mountain biking) as well as a great levy system that doubles as a jogging/biking trail. Check it out. I think you'll like what you see!

Old 06-30-2008, 09:56 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,591 times
My neighborhood would be great for you! Harrisburg is located at the base of the Appalachian mountains with a beautiful riverfront and a handful of art galleries including a new arts center (with film studio, cafe, gallery and playhouse) under construction. Check out HARRISBURG MIDTOWN ARTS CENTER or Beyond Second - Discover Harrisburg Through Photography

Old 06-30-2008, 11:09 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,525,952 times
Most of PA is a hole culturally. Think Reagan Democrats/Hillary Clinton fans. State College has a cosmopolitan liberal feel with amenities and gets touring rock groups/theater etc. It also hosts the Arts Festival every summer (I think its the Central PA Festival of the Arts).

I went to Penn State and grew up in Philly...these are the only 2 areas of PA in which I would live...the seasons in State College make you feel alive and the natural beauty is unsurpassed IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania