Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 07:54 AM

13 posts, read 47,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
So you are moving to a place a whopping 52 miles away, and can't go there and scope things out in person??
Never hurts to do the homework even if you're coming to town. There can be BIG differences in rentals, even those priced the same. I was just helping my Mom get a place where she can walk to stores etc. Many of the better "deals" never make it to the advertisements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 01:27 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,979,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer1 View Post
what is " the Oil Co" ?
I thought Oil City was one of the first drilled wells, guess I'm wrong

I checked it was Titusville, sorry

Old 04-16-2008, 12:18 PM

6 posts, read 16,539 times
Default Oil City, PA

I also grew up in Venango County. We moved to Clarion PA about 10 years ago, but still go to the area regularly. It had definately become run down and is not the "land of opportunity" it once was. I agree with the others that say it is on the rebound, however it is going to be a long time before it is a thriving location. There are definately a high population of poverty level people which is why the crime rate is high. However the crimes are not severe, mostly drugs, theft, conduct disorders etc. My closest friends and family are all thinking of relocating in the next 5 or so years. It is a beautiful place full of nature...but they are also full of houses that should be torn down due to neglect. Many of the rentals there tend to have kitchens from the 60's, never or rarely been updated, and the property values are at all time lows now. All of these things are a direct result of the lack of employemnt opportunities in the area. In addition, the schools face several probelms due to lack of funding. They have a high rate of students performing at or below basic levels and not enough funding to remedy the issue.
As much as I love the area, it is difficult for me to find much positive to say about the area. I hope I did not offend anyone. It saddens me to think of this once great historical town becomming so run down. It is worthy of some wonderful people who would be willing and motivated to make a change!

Old 04-17-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
I thought Oil City was one of the first drilled wells, guess I'm wrong

I checked it was Titusville, sorry
Actually, most folks around here take pride in Titusville and its history, Titusville is included with Venango County in the Oil Heritage Region designation. Oil City's claim to fame was the business conducted in the Oil Industry.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishywashy View Post
I also grew up in Venango County. We moved to Clarion PA about 10 years ago, but still go to the area regularly. It had definately become run down and is not the "land of opportunity" it once was. I agree with the others that say it is on the rebound, however it is going to be a long time before it is a thriving location. There are definately a high population of poverty level people which is why the crime rate is high. However the crimes are not severe, mostly drugs, theft, conduct disorders etc. My closest friends and family are all thinking of relocating in the next 5 or so years. It is a beautiful place full of nature...but they are also full of houses that should be torn down due to neglect. Many of the rentals there tend to have kitchens from the 60's, never or rarely been updated, and the property values are at all time lows now. All of these things are a direct result of the lack of employemnt opportunities in the area. In addition, the schools face several probelms due to lack of funding. They have a high rate of students performing at or below basic levels and not enough funding to remedy the issue.
As much as I love the area, it is difficult for me to find much positive to say about the area. I hope I did not offend anyone. It saddens me to think of this once great historical town becomming so run down. It is worthy of some wonderful people who would be willing and motivated to make a change!
I'm curious about your observations; much of what you say is subjective and actually is true of many, many small rural communities. I question the crime rate evaluation and will do some research before I respond. These communities are facing their issues openly, calling public attention to them and unfortunately that can cause a misperception about their prevalence.
Argument could be made for the area being a "land of opportunity" during the Oil Boom, but truly, opportunity abounds in any community for those who know to look for it and know how to separate reality from static.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:55 PM

13 posts, read 89,331 times
Default OIl City/ Titusville

I, too, would have to question several of the assertions made about the decline of Oil City. Certainly there are a lot of houses in disrepair, but the idea that a 1960s-era kitchen somehow shows neglect might mean the poster's standards of adequate living might be based on want more than need. The house my father and step-mother reside within in Beloit, WI has a kitchen from the late 1940s, but with paint it looks just fine. My grandparents have a very, very nice house in one of the best neighborhoods in Rockford, IL and it has a kitchen from the 1960s, and though dated, is very well-kept and functional. I actually purchased a house in North Dakota where the kitchen was partially 1960s and partially late 1920s (!). A lot of houses have old plaster (some of which needs repairing), etc... but these are not symbols of anything (to me) but utilitarian living.

Also, the entire Oil Region has a crime rate that averages about half of the national average, with Oil City having a rate about one-third of the national average (and even lower in terms of violent crime). Unemployment in Venango County is right at the national average of 5.2 percent. It's depressed a bit based on median incomes, but with the cost-of-living so low, it's not some sort of destitute hell-hole. There are a few rougher patches and a few boarded up houses in other neighborhoods, but overall the towns of Franklin, Oil City, and Titusville compare favorably in most measures of safety and prosperity to most of the rural Northeast and especially rural Pennsylvania. Warren, Sharon, the outlying Pittsburgh areas, Johnstown, Altoona, and even much of the Endless Mountains region have higher unemployment and higher crime (as well as higher house prices).

What they really need, though, is to have a major company start tapping the huge supply of deeper-set oil in the region.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:29 AM

Thank You for responding. I haven't had time to check in with my crime statistic sources. There is so much happening around here I can't catch up.
We just spent a day tidying up Oil City's downtown for wash day (30th Annual). Actually there wasn't a whole lot of litter but It was great seeing people out and especially folks I haven't seen for a bit. We had a crew of 15 High School kids who were most entertaining to work with.

I do know people around here have been talking a lot about crime and drug issues and dilapidated housing; which makes the problems seem larger than they really are. I'm proud that my community is openly facing these issues and of the progressive solutions that are being considered and tested.

Perhaps you have to be more involved to see the Oil Region Communities for what they truly are, but with the Oil 150 celebrations and the natural scenery just visiting should be a gas ( sorry couldn't resist the pun ).

Old 05-08-2008, 07:16 AM

140 posts, read 859,433 times
Hello all
Oil City/Titusville/Franklin/Venango Co. area looks very interesting to me.
I have been looking (online)at NW Pa.for a while. I started with Mercer area and have drifted over to Venango Co.
I currently live in Adams Co. Pa.(Gettysburg/Hanover) I moved to Hanover area 11yrs ago it was then a fairly small town. In the 11 yrs I have lived here it has grown to much for me. The small town feel is gone. It now has alot of Baltimore people influence. The housing market has gone from high 90's for a new 3br/2ba on a 1/4-1/2 acre to 275+ for the same. The traffic is now terrible the roads have not been updated for the amount of people living here now. I saw a real estate ad in Venango Co (cranberry area) for 3br/2ba home on 25 acres for under 150k ...WOW...the same thing in Adams co area would be 300+. But as for jobs in Adams/York Co. They have not moved up the pay scale like the housing and food and fuel have. Alot of people in my area commute to Baltimore area(60+ min) to work.
I think this summer my son and I will take a trip to NW Pa. make a stop in Oil City/Titusville/Franklin and see if it looks as nice in-person as it does on the internet. Also see where my father grew up he is from Clarion.
If anyone knows of any good campgrounds (RV style) please let me know.

thanks , Bob

Last edited by BOBBB17037; 05-08-2008 at 07:21 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-21-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBBB17037 View Post
Hello all
Oil City/Titusville/Franklin/Venango Co. area looks very interesting to me.
I have been looking (online)at NW Pa.for a while. I started with Mercer area and have drifted over to Venango Co.
I currently live in Adams Co. Pa.(Gettysburg/Hanover) I moved to Hanover area 11yrs ago it was then a fairly small town. In the 11 yrs I have lived here it has grown to much for me. The small town feel is gone. It now has alot of Baltimore people influence. The housing market has gone from high 90's for a new 3br/2ba on a 1/4-1/2 acre to 275+ for the same. The traffic is now terrible the roads have not been updated for the amount of people living here now. I saw a real estate ad in Venango Co (cranberry area) for 3br/2ba home on 25 acres for under 150k ...WOW...the same thing in Adams co area would be 300+. But as for jobs in Adams/York Co. They have not moved up the pay scale like the housing and food and fuel have. Alot of people in my area commute to Baltimore area(60+ min) to work.
I think this summer my son and I will take a trip to NW Pa. make a stop in Oil City/Titusville/Franklin and see if it looks as nice in-person as it does on the internet. Also see where my father grew up he is from Clarion.
If anyone knows of any good campgrounds (RV style) please let me know.

thanks , Bob
This summer will be an excellent time to visit the Oil Region because this is the susquecentennial of the discovery of Oil known locally as Oil 150 (you can find it on the web under Oil 150). There are a number of campgrounds that can accomodate RV's but not all have a web presence. Remember that miles from destination can take significantly less time here due to lack of traffic congestion.
the is a KOA in Knox (Clarion Co.) ; Two Mile Run County Park 471 Beach Rd, Franklin, PA 814-676-6116 (at the heart of Venango Co.);Marlowes Scenic River Campground 1725 Kennerdell Rd , Kennerdell 814 385-6870; Oil Creek Campground 340 Shreve Rd, Titusville 814 827 1023 (Crawford Co but still part of the Oil Heritage region); President Campground 814-676-2935(outside Oil City and along the Allegheny River);and Spirit of the north campground Rt 36 Cook forest 814-752-2031 ( in Clarion County and a short distance to Oil Heritage Region.). This is the best information I ca give as we generally don't camp locally but several families have said that is what they plan to do this year to save gas money. You may want to look at the Venango Area Chamber of Commerce (Oil City, Franklin, Emlenton, Cranberry/Seneca, Titusville - "Venango Area Chamber of Commerce") and Franklin Area Chamber of Commerce (Franklin Pennsylvania --- Chamber of Commerce) websites ; www.oilregion.org and my favorite ARTSOilCity. Best of Luck and we'll be here!
Cheers~
speedracer

Old 10-13-2008, 06:16 PM

2 posts, read 6,105 times
I was born in Oil City. When I was growing up there were lots of little stores:Kresges, Woolworth's, Grants, Thrift Drug Stores. Now there is nothing left. Yes, they re-beutified the sidewalks because they had to use the money. JCPenney's has been long gone. There are a few businesses, but if you want to shop you have to go to the Cranberry Mall. Now the mall itself is small, but the area is growing like New London is just past Grove City. If you like small town life, by all means move to Oil City. You very rarely hear about crime there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania