Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 07:34 PM

378 posts, read 337,452 times

Advertisements

Hello:

My husband may be considering an offer in Williamsport that will require us moving to the area within the next few years. I've read through a couple of the Williamsport forums and have an idea of the area, but need additional information on everybody's favorite topic: Race.

Neither my husband and I have ever lived in an area with a small percentage of minorities, and if I judge by some of the responses in the other Williamsport's forum, it seems that we will be coming into an area that will assume that we are addicts, drug dealers, or thieves, and wouldn't be welcomed. My goal isn't to be offensive to anyone, nor do I mean to come across as if I think everyone in the area will have the same attitude. I'm really just trying to get a general idea of what to expect if we move to the area.

Again, my goal isn't to offend (or draw out any trolls.) Thanks.

Last edited by char65; 07-03-2008 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: Accidentally submitted before completing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 10:23 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,124 times
I don't live in Williamsport, but I used to have a job that required me to travel there once or twice a week. From what I've seen, Williamsport seems to have a large black population for a city its size. I don't see why you'd have any problems living there. It's not like some ****** town that is gonna be chasing you out of town with lit tourches or something.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:54 AM

LOL...That's good to know. If we move to the area, it's good to know that we won't have to unpack our running shoes first.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:09 PM

89 posts, read 536,872 times
You will be fine in Williamsport! If you are decent people you will not be looked at like criminals here. If you roll in with 13 kids, on welfare with a gun in your back pocket...well then you might have some trouble fitting in. But in all seriousness, you won't even stand out here Good luck to you.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:43 PM

Thanks, Skhimmelreich!

That's really the answer that we were looking for, although I'm disheartened that we will have to leave the 13 kids and guns in Texas if we move. All jest aside, we are fairly decent people and for the most part, tend to prefer blending into the woodwork. Your answer supports that it shouldn't too difficult to do this (no more than the usual "new people moving into an old neighborhood" situation.) Thanks again for taking the time to answer!

Old 07-08-2008, 04:46 PM

20 posts, read 135,003 times
I think you will be treated the way you act. Most people treat others with a degree of respect until they get additude thrown at them. I am not saying you are like that, you dont sound like it.
But if you are not one of the chip on the shoulder group you will have no problems.
I too had to travel to Williamsport often with my job. Back in 1976 Williamsport was vastly different than it is now.
Around 1980 or so some of the big citys with large unemployed minority populations started to ship out there problems to surounding areas. This made it look like the problem in their area was getting better. In fact all they were doing was moving the problems.
Williamsport was one of the unlucky destinations for a large number of problem people.
This caused a great deal of bad feelings in the area.
Things would be better if the Govt. left things alone.
If any group of people slowly move to an area for jobs and a better life there is little or no problems.
When the Govt jams an area with hundreds of welfare people that upset the living conditions in any area there is going to be deep resentment.
It happend in Phila back in the 50s when the restriction that said you had to be a resident for two years to get welfare in Phila. was struck down.
This cause a flood of poor blacks from the south to pour into Phila. About half of Phila. is now a burned out war zone and the rest is teetering.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:21 PM

No chips here. And no attitude. Both my husband and I want to be judged on our own merits and we do the same with others. We are friendly "southerners" and attempt to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. I had read previously on the board about the people who were shipped to Williamsport for a drug rehabiliation program, which originally prompted me to post this question. I gathered that most residents interactions with minorities in the area involved the participants of this program. I'm not condoning it, but it's human nature to make assumptions based on your experiences (i.e., if you are bitten by the first three dogs that you meet, it's not difficult to come to the conclusion that all dogs bite.) Thanks for your response!

Old 07-10-2008, 07:10 PM

20 posts, read 135,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by char65 View Post
No chips here. And no attitude. Both my husband and I want to be judged on our own merits and we do the same with others. We are friendly "southerners" and attempt to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. I had read previously on the board about the people who were shipped to Williamsport for a drug rehabiliation program, which originally prompted me to post this question. I gathered that most residents interactions with minorities in the area involved the participants of this program. I'm not condoning it, but it's human nature to make assumptions based on your experiences (i.e., if you are bitten by the first three dogs that you meet, it's not difficult to come to the conclusion that all dogs bite.) Thanks for your response!
Very funny, I have said the same thing that you said about the dogs thing only a bit different.
I said " if you touch a hot iron and get burnt you watch out for the next one".
A lot of racial tension and problems stem from that condition on both sides.

The area we live in has a mix or races. There has been no problems here in large because we all are doing the same thing , working our butts off trying to stay ahead of the bills.

You sound like you will be OK . I am sure you will run into
the " got bit three times people" but just go around them , they will get over it.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:39 PM

Thanks. I'm also getting the feeling that we will be OK if the move should take place. And I agree regarding your racial tension comment. I've seen too many situations get blown out of proportion (on both sides) because of people not giving each other a benefit of a doubt. So I always do...at least the first few times.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:44 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
My sister and husband have lived in williamsport for several years. They are a mixed race couple and they've never had a sideway look. Williamsport has some nice neighborhoods, the downtown is getting cleaned up and is looking quite nice and you are in a good geographic location to plenty of outdoor activities. I do know there is a lot of resentment over the bringing of welfare junkies into town and yes it obvious there is a problem. Hopefully the plug can get pulled on all that soon and these people can start contributing to society instead of getting into trouble and making more welfare babies. It's a small town with big city problems, but as long as you stay out of certain places and lock your doors it seems fairly safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania