Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 10:16 AM

330 posts, read 1,976,846 times

Advertisements

Mod cut- Please note that this thread was started in 2007

Just curious, but since we are still tossing around the idea of a possible move to Lancaster County can anybody reading this please fill me in on the " Gang Situation" In Lancaster County? Some have told me there are many gangs, while others said barely any at all.

And where are the unsafe parts of Lancaster County? We were there on a mini- vacation in October and drove around many of the towns, even parts of downtown but we didnt come across any areas where we were bothered by any thugs.

Are there any or many areas that are so bad you cant even drive through? If so where are these areas in Lancaster County?

Thank You

T

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-08-2019 at 08:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 04:31 PM

468 posts, read 2,358,419 times
Areas that you can't even drive through? I don't think there are too many places like that in the entire country.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:22 PM

Default Gangs in Lancaster County/unsafe areas?

That wasnt what i meant, anyway i meant are there or where are these areas's people claim are so unsafe in " Lancaster County? And i have been in many cities that have areas that are unsafe to drive through, i'm currently in the Las Vegas Suburbs typing away, yet 20 mins from here is a horrible area, drive by shootings take place every few days, my neighbor is a rookie cop and comes over to vent at some horror stories that never make the news.

But i have read and spoke to people that say LAncaster has a rising gang & crime problem, but like i said" When we were there in october, we didnt see these areas, so i'm wondering if anybody knows do these areas of Lancaster exist, if so where? Maybe i missed something when i was there.

Thanks ---T

Quote:
Originally Posted by passdoubt View Post
Areas that you can't even drive through? I don't think there are too many places like that in the entire country.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:11 PM

7,928 posts, read 9,152,376 times
Lancaster City has higher crime rate than the surrounding areas. Route 222 has been used for moving drugs from Reading to Lancaster City (hence the money from the DEA to police the area), but I don't know if the towns off 222 have been affected by this. I don't think there is anyplace in the world where you won't be able to find drugs. Rural areas, in general, have more meth use than the city areas right now, with a lot of it being "home cooked".

Old 01-16-2007, 08:15 PM

266 posts, read 1,195,563 times
In Lancaster city, there may be a few areas near downtown that aren't the greatest, but you can still drive through them. Otherwise, I have never felt even remotely unsafe in any city in Lancaster County, with my two young kids and all.

I am sure someone is going to argue with me, but I have traveled all over the world, and I do have some idea of what unsafe really is about - and Lancaster County is one of the safest places I have ever been.

We haven't locked our doors/cars in the five years since we moved here - yes, I would lock them when parked in the city, (or any high traffic area).

There are NO gangs I have seen or even heard about in Ephrata, Lititz, New Holland, Denver, Brownstown, wherever else you can think of. I'm guessing there likely are in Lancaster City, as there are in any town of considerable size.

If someone tries to tell you that any of these small towns is gang-ridden, they quite simply are either lying, clueless, or crazy.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:25 PM

Default Gangs in Lancaster County/unsafe areas?

Kitty,

Thank You! That helped. When we visited Lancaster in October we did drive around alot and didnt run into any problems, i did see some older parts of town that i could see being not the best place to be late at night, but thats normal.Any city, town could have that.

Thanks for your post, i'll ignore the posts i read that made Lancaster sound unsafe.

Thanks ---T

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty71 View Post
In Lancaster city, there may be a few areas near downtown that aren't the greatest, but you can still drive through them. Otherwise, I have never felt even remotely unsafe in any city in Lancaster County, with my two young kids and all.

I am sure someone is going to argue with me, but I have traveled all over the world, and I do have some idea of what unsafe really is about - and Lancaster County is one of the safest places I have ever been.

We haven't locked our doors/cars in the five years since we moved here - yes, I would lock them when parked in the city, (or any high traffic area).

There are NO gangs I have seen or even heard about in Ephrata, Lititz, New Holland, Denver, Brownstown, wherever else you can think of. I'm guessing there likely are in Lancaster City, as there are in any town of considerable size.

If someone tries to tell you that any of these small towns is gang-ridden, they quite simply are either lying, clueless, or crazy.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:53 AM

9 posts, read 45,750 times
I live in Lancaster city right now as we speak.....As me being young and having lots of friends all over town, the only way the gangs around here would bother you is if you bother them from what I see(1 of my friends is in one) So I kinda know some detail....I will tell if you do move in the city, just try and find a place on the west side near the f&m college. Lancaster City isn't all that bad with gangs, we do have some, but they are pretty low key.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:23 PM

33 posts, read 148,581 times
I quess that everyone here in town has forgotten about the 7 year old girl that was shot in the gang cross fire down on beaver street last week, or that the city schools are now putting armed guards in the jr. high schools because of the gangs, or that the turkey hill convenience stores are no longer keeping there in town stores open all night because of all the robberies. So yes there are gangs and gang problems in the city. I've been here in this county for about 30 years now and there are problems in the city and the surrounding commenities. That being said the small towns out in the county are very nice and reasonably safe and are nothing like our city they are 2 different worlds. Glad we're moving to Wyoming.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:24 PM

266 posts, read 1,195,563 times
I think that we did acknowledge that there may be some gang activity IN THE CITY of Lancaster, again, as there will be in ANY CITY OF CONSIDERABLE SIZE.

I reiterate that the towns I mentioned are more than reasonably safe, they are very safe - I know, I live in one.

Honestly, I really don't mean to be insulting, but if the only city you have ever lived in is Lancaster, you would be in for a horrible shock moving into any larger city ANYWHERE else. I have lived in small and big cities, and there is always some trouble there if you don't make smart choices (ie wandering around alone late at night in unfamiliar areas). I lived in a "safe" prairie town in Western Canada (probably on par with Wyoming), and there was much more gang activity and violence there than in Lancaster.

Any inner city area will have increased security and unfortunately you will hear of some violence... but you or I going about our business are not going to encounter it.

The person posting this is from the Vegas area, so comparing Lancaster city to a city like Vegas (which I have also been to) is absolutely so far off crime wise. I have no doubt which is safer.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:40 PM

33 posts, read 148,581 times
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's the same as Compton, East L.A., or the Bronx, but the city it self has changed alot in the last 5 to 10 years. Even our county towns our changing how about all the killings in the last couple of years. ( bart twp., leola, lititz, ephrata ) By the way I do get out, with my job I've gotten to 45 state and 2 providences so I've had a chace to compare, and I guess you're saying theres more gangs and violence in Panoka, Alberta than there is in Lancaster City?
I'm not trying to be all gloom & doom, but moving to a new area is a big choice and I think folks should know as much about an area as they can, and your right perspective is alot of it, but Lancaster county is not all horse and buggies and amish folk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania