U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:39 AM

13,109 posts, read 11,729,542 times
Default Lyme Disease In Bucks County

Please read this article

The Human Side of Lyme - An Inhumane Disease of the Brain

I am so angry...a friend of mine has been sick for a long time. They diagnosed her with MS and was giving her meds for her speech.

Then about two months ago, she became very sick....slurred speech, cannot walk without a walker...

She went to one doctor in Bucks County....he was supposed to do another test to see how far her MS had progressed. He said, (now this is a nurologist)...he really didn't want to do the test. So she paid him and went home very depressed...to say the least???? And you could see she was getting worse.

Her symptoms worsened...she was sent to a hospital in PHILA..they sent her home with no diagnos, meanwhile, her syptoms worsened.

She asked her family doctor to please take a lyme disease test...her family doctor said noah, I don't think I want to take that test????? Why?????

Now they are sending her to the U O Penn

I'm no doctor, but this is ridiculous...this woman has been very ill for months...you'd think that a doctor would help releave her apprehensions by taking a lyme disease test and at least proving it is not that. Especially with all the reports of how bad lyme disease can be.

A friend of mine had a family member who was sick for 10 years...and by the way, after that amount of time, by the time they figured out she did have lyme disease, the damage done, was now permanent.

I've heard of so many cases of people suffering or being mis diagnosed, b/c tests for lyme disease are also not only accurate??????

I think more people should be aware of this and demand their doctors take a lyme disease test to at least rule it out and give the patient some satisfaction.

I mean, what is wrong with these doctors today????? They act like they're Gods?????

I was sick years ago as a kid from mono...years later, I was sick with the same symtoms. The doctor took all kinds of tests and insisted that you couldn't get mono twice. when all the results came back negative...I asked him to please, please pacify me and take a test for mono, as the symptoms were so much the same. He did, and was shocked....now, they do know you can get mono several times....but I literally had to beg that doctor to do so....? Why???????

So please read the link I've posted, the symptoms and if you know of anyone who is going thru what my friend is going thru...please tell them to demand their doctors take a test for Lyme...matter of fact, the article suggests that present day doctors are ignoring the fact and mis diagnosing patients.

Also, CNN ran a special on the same problem....another woman suffered with LD for years...and by the way, you don't always have to have a bulls eye on the skin to have LD.

I don't understand why doctors consider that they are being professional by not taking tests...and I also don't understand, why they are not considering lyme disease and taking tests for these chronically ill people. You'd think they want to at least eliviate every and all possiblities?

People, doctors are doctors, human beings...and not Gods, you are paying them for a service and it is your right...to demand they take certain tests....and if they get huffy with you or say no, then find another doctor that will....

Creme

Last edited by cremebrulee; 07-08-2008 at 09:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 12:32 PM

3 posts, read 6,736 times
Wow! That's crazy you should go with your friend to the doctor the next time, and Flip out on them =) Good luck to your friend!

Old 07-08-2008, 05:49 PM

3,923 posts, read 8,359,839 times
Go to lymenet.org. Click Flash discussion and tell them the situation your friend is in and ask for help in finding a Lyme Literate Doctor in the Bucks County area. Someone will help you. Your friend absolutely needs to talk to a Lyme doctor if she thinks she has Lyme Disease.

Good luck

Old 07-08-2008, 06:35 PM

2,322 posts, read 3,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Please read this article

The Human Side of Lyme - An Inhumane Disease of the Brain

I am so angry...a friend of mine has been sick for a long time. They diagnosed her with MS and was giving her meds for her speech.

Then about two months ago, she became very sick....slurred speech, cannot walk without a walker...

She went to one doctor in Bucks County....he was supposed to do another test to see how far her MS had progressed. He said, (now this is a nurologist)...he really didn't want to do the test. So she paid him and went home very depressed...to say the least???? And you could see she was getting worse.

Her symptoms worsened...she was sent to a hospital in PHILA..they sent her home with no diagnos, meanwhile, her syptoms worsened.

She asked her family doctor to please take a lyme disease test...her family doctor said noah, I don't think I want to take that test????? Why?????

Now they are sending her to the U O Penn

I'm no doctor, but this is ridiculous...this woman has been very ill for months...you'd think that a doctor would help releave her apprehensions by taking a lyme disease test and at least proving it is not that. Especially with all the reports of how bad lyme disease can be.

A friend of mine had a family member who was sick for 10 years...and by the way, after that amount of time, by the time they figured out she did have lyme disease, the damage done, was now permanent.

I've heard of so many cases of people suffering or being mis diagnosed, b/c tests for lyme disease are also not only accurate??????

I think more people should be aware of this and demand their doctors take a lyme disease test to at least rule it out and give the patient some satisfaction.

I mean, what is wrong with these doctors today????? They act like they're Gods?????

I was sick years ago as a kid from mono...years later, I was sick with the same symtoms. The doctor took all kinds of tests and insisted that you couldn't get mono twice. when all the results came back negative...I asked him to please, please pacify me and take a test for mono, as the symptoms were so much the same. He did, and was shocked....now, they do know you can get mono several times....but I literally had to beg that doctor to do so....? Why???????

So please read the link I've posted, the symptoms and if you know of anyone who is going thru what my friend is going thru...please tell them to demand their doctors take a test for Lyme...matter of fact, the article suggests that present day doctors are ignoring the fact and mis diagnosing patients.

Also, CNN ran a special on the same problem....another woman suffered with LD for years...and by the way, you don't always have to have a bulls eye on the skin to have LD.

I don't understand why doctors consider that they are being professional by not taking tests...and I also don't understand, why they are not considering lyme disease and taking tests for these chronically ill people. You'd think they want to at least eliviate every and all possiblities?

People, doctors are doctors, human beings...and not Gods, you are paying them for a service and it is your right...to demand they take certain tests....and if they get huffy with you or say no, then find another doctor that will....

Creme
Sorry to hear that about your friend,people have to realize the medical profession is a business and you have to be very careful.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Go to lymenet.org. Click Flash discussion and tell them the situation your friend is in and ask for help in finding a Lyme Literate Doctor in the Bucks County area. Someone will help you. Your friend absolutely needs to talk to a Lyme doctor if she thinks she has Lyme Disease.

Good luck
Thank you, I will, and please know, I'm upset b/c my friend is so sick...I don't know she has lyme, but the fact of the matter is, she asks the doctor to take a test for it, and the doctor refuses...? But sends her to a University hospital before she rules out all other diseases...and then scares my friend to death, telling her they think it could be parkinson, wilson's or one other disease, I forget. Sheesh? Where are these doctors getting their degrees today? Wal Mart?

Old 07-08-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtotenn View Post
Wow! That's crazy you should go with your friend to the doctor the next time, and Flip out on them =) Good luck to your friend!
I would go, but I'm so angry, I think I would embarrasse her, besides, she said her other friend is going and I don't want to interfer....apparently this gal is more vocal then I am...so that is very good...I'm just so angry at these doctors, this is 3 months of her life she has been declining so badly, and the hospital sent her home, without a diagnosis...with a walker? Sheeesh? Doesn't make sense...

Old 07-08-2008, 07:33 PM

after I posted this, I was talking to a friend of mine at work. Her mother was diagnosed for 20 years, with Lupus...they took her to another doctor, b/c they were constantly rushing her to the hospital, over medicated...guess what it was...Lyme Disease? 20 years of this woman's life?????

Lyme Disease acts like a virus and attacks the brain and other organs of your body...it can even look like M.S. or Parkinson's Disease. I wonder how many people in America, have actually been mis-diagnosed...and wait, there's more...there is some test that Calif. gives for Lyme Disease, that is much more accurate giving a much more accurate test. The tests we use in others states are not always accurate?

The article which I posted for you to read, actually states, how under educated doctors are when it comes to Lyme Disease, and LD is an epidemic...????? Doesn't make sense does it...

Old 07-08-2008, 07:40 PM

Had your friend spent alot of time outdoors(Hiking,trail running,gardening etc.) Does she live close to the woods? Does she have a house pet that is let outside alot? Lyme can lead to more serious illnesses depending on how bad of a bacterial infection she recieved and how much damage it did to her immune system.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:00 PM

Lyme is definitely one disease you want to avoid.Depending on how strong your immune system is this can basically be cancer without the immediate tragic end result. It wont destroy your cells like cancer but it will turn their world upside down.

I cant stress enough If you are outdoors hiking in the woods,gardening etc check yourself for ticks. Your best bet is to take a bath and scrub every inch of your body with a wash cloth. Ticks are very smart. They look for places to hide on your body(ears,back,armpits,back of your knee, between toes etc) They spit out a numbing agent so that you wont feel them when they bite you. They then ingest you with the blood of the last diseased host they victimized(usually mice,chipmunks,rabbits,birds) and then to add injury to insult they begin sucking on your blood for their next meal.

These ticks are an absolute scourge. This is a despicable menace from hell. Its not even fair how these things operate. You can barely see them on your body and you cant feel them when they attack you. Its friggin ridiculous.

When I see moms/dads taking little kids for a hike into the woods(Wissahickon Gorge eg) with shorts and sandals on I cringe. Sitting ducks.
Stay out of the woods people is the best advice I can give to you. This disease has the potential to turn you into a zombie.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Had your friend spent alot of time outdoors(Hiking,trail running,gardening etc.) Does she live close to the woods? Does she have a house pet that is let outside alot? Lyme can lead to more serious illnesses depending on how bad of a bacterial infection she recieved and how much damage it did to her immune system.
yes, to all your questions...and yes, I've been studing from information on the internet...and I tried to tell her to get a little more vocal with the doctors, but like most everyone, she is polite and feels doing so would be like she is dictating to them what they should do.

But, yes, I know

and thank you for your thoughts, I just wanted to get the word out there....my oh my, we do so live in our very own protective bubbles, do we not? We really have no idea what is going on out there in the real world half the time, do we? And when you start sharing your story with others, and find out, your not just a fluke case, that it's happening to so many other people...you start to wonder how these things can be happening?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania