Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 04:50 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,740,084 times

Advertisements

The last 2 times I sold a home it has caused a huge amount of disturbance in our usual family life, which I tried to take in stride, keeping in mind all the things II have to be thankful for
The fist time was when I moved from NY to Pa. We sold our house and my husband, 2 kids and myself, moved in with my parents wheile we looked for a house and waited for our closing date. We lived with them for 4 months.
The second time I moved, we wanted a bigger house with a garage, so we sold and rented while we put up a modular home. Well, this was only supposed to take a short period of time, so we ended up having to move from that rental, which was commited to another family for the summer months and finding yet another rental, before moving into our own house.
Since we needed the money form the sale of our home to start over again, I could see no way around this. We now have our home for sale as my parents will be coming to live with us Since mother/daughter homes are scarce or non-existent in these parts, I feel like I'm faced with renting again while we have a house built. Any suggestions on how I could possibly make this easier?? I would love to just move from one house to another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 01:09 AM

330 posts, read 1,973,497 times
Default Selling, then buying a home...

Where in NY did you move from? And to what part of PA? On with your question, i'm not really any help, at least i dont think. Are you working with a realtor? they should help you with your needs. If not a good lender should have more then one option, the only other thing would be your bank.

I hope it all works out for you!

T

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
The last 2 times I sold a home it has caused a huge amount of disturbance in our usual family life, which I tried to take in stride, keeping in mind all the things II have to be thankful for
The fist time was when I moved from NY to Pa. We sold our house and my husband, 2 kids and myself, moved in with my parents wheile we looked for a house and waited for our closing date. We lived with them for 4 months.
The second time I moved, we wanted a bigger house with a garage, so we sold and rented while we put up a modular home. Well, this was only supposed to take a short period of time, so we ended up having to move from that rental, which was commited to another family for the summer months and finding yet another rental, before moving into our own house.
Since we needed the money form the sale of our home to start over again, I could see no way around this. We now have our home for sale as my parents will be coming to live with us Since mother/daughter homes are scarce or non-existent in these parts, I feel like I'm faced with renting again while we have a house built. Any suggestions on how I could possibly make this easier?? I would love to just move from one house to another.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:47 AM

39 posts, read 160,418 times
I know how you feel.My mom lives with us. The first move she didnt.We had to stay with my inlaws for 2 months .The second move my mom came with us. We had a house built.It was a spec house and half finished when we found it.Still took 6 months of living in a very small ranch together.Now were moving to PA.I cant find any mother/daughters so we are going to convert a 2 car garage into an apartment.I know with permits and everything this will be dragged out and tortorous also! Also my house Im selling is having some issues.I always said I must have a black cloud over my head. Good luck to both of us!!

Old 01-18-2007, 06:19 AM

I don't mean to cause more grief, but if you are moving to Pa., depending on where, I would not get rid of the garage!!!! I have had a garage for the first time these last 2 years and it truly is a luxury, never having to clean off ice and snow, and always somewhat warm when you get in it, never having to step foot out into the 'elements'! I moved from LI, to the poconos, about 30 miles from Scranton. We do get a lot of snow here (usually!) How about over the garage? My parents need handicap accessability also, so second floor is out. Right now they use a stair lift, but when the ambulance has to come, the stair lift is in their way. There is never an easy answer!

Old 01-18-2007, 08:26 AM

39 posts, read 160,418 times
Well in my situation you have to know my husband!lol.We have a garage now but no basement.We have never put our car in our garage.We have always had to deal with that.We are getting a basement for our stuff.(his stuff) and a shed for the mower,snowblower etc. Right now we have what they call a hi-ranch.We have the top (about 1300 sq.feet) with2 kids and a dog.My mom has the bottom.She has tons of room we have none.We will be reversing and getting a bigger house with a basement for us and the garage space for her. It will be an inconvenience but better than our situation here.We are all too close for comfort. This was the best compromise we could come up with.Like I said I feel like EEyore with a black cloud over my head so Im sure it;s going to be an uphill battle the entire way.LOL Good luck to us both I guess!Where on Long Island? Thats where we are moving from.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:39 PM

I lived in Copiague, Suffolk County, 13 years ago. I have a house similar to yours, I have 1600 sq. ft. upstairs, and the basement is 800 sq. ft. and the garage is 800 sq ft. both beneath us. My husband just can't get it that our next house will not have an 800 sq. ft. garage, and we were hoping to have space for my parents car too! We don't want to put my parents in the basement section because we need to relocate to be closer to my kids schools and husbands job. I have a daughter in college and one in a private HS, both over 30 miles from home, so it is time to relocate. My parents live about 2 miles from me, and I don't want to leave them, so they will come when we go. I have looked at plenty of house plans, and we have decided on something that has a master bedroom suite and Family room on the main floor that we will change to an apartment for my parents. The cathedral ceiling in the LR will be eliminated to add an additional bedroom and bath upstairs. The 2 car garage will change to a 3 car, but it will still be smaller than 800 sq ft. He will just have to adjust!

Old 01-24-2007, 05:28 AM

5 posts, read 25,686 times
HI, You should be able to have your house listed as "contingent upon finding housing" or set a closing date that is preferable to you. Many new construction home sites will take a deposit and hold a lot for you if youre planning on building "contingent upon your home sale and settlement" as will many private resale homes. email me if you need more info! im happy to help.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:11 AM

Thanks for your reply. I don't want to have any stipulations that might scare a buyer away. Also in this area most builders take almost a year to build a house. I have seen enough of them built around me to know, and if they tell you 6 mnoths, they are 'stretching the truth'. That still leaves me with nowhere to live, unless I rent, until the house is built.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:21 AM

5 posts, read 25,686 times
I understand.. Is it new construction you are looking for only?? many around here w/ the big builders do build quicker than that.. You could talk with a borrower and depending on your credit and equity in your home you could ask for a "bridge loan " or 80/10/10 and purchase before your house is sold.. you just have to worry about 2 houses for a little while then which sometimes worries someone.. If youre not looking into new construction, many many people will consider an offer contingent upon the sale and settlement of your home, depending on how hot the property is, and the market conditions at the time.. where have you been looking??

Old 01-24-2007, 10:43 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,942,491 times
I don't see anyway around renting, unless you want to buy a duplex instead of build. I'm thinking of one of those traditional side by sides with a front porch that connects the two. In any case put a time limit into any future construction project contract!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania