Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 04:26 PM

222 posts, read 1,411,140 times

Advertisements

Someone else mentioned Carlisle, I worked outside of carlisle North Middletown township for a few months, that is a very nice place. It has accress to i-76 and i-81, two colleges, a regional airport and lots of other stuff. Nice little specialty shops in the downtown disctict, it is nice for running, jogging, excercising. But outside in the western part of cumberland county, in newville, mccrea and that area they have tons and tons of farms, there is a small population of Amish in that area. It's pretty laid back and wasy going, but close to everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 04:26 PM

33 posts, read 134,994 times
Wow, I'm surprised no one mentined Bellefonte. Bellefonte is a beautiful victorian town. It is only a few minutes from State College.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:02 PM

14 posts, read 45,352 times
Default Lancaster County

Great, that's all we need is more people building homes hideously vacant of character, and defiling an already overcrowded area. Please do not further ruin what very little character remains in Lancaster County with another cookie-cutter house. Also, if you notice an influx in traffic--who can't--remember that outsiders have encroached where they are not needed, or wanted.
The hyper-sensitive inclusionists may decry this, but at least a few of us have the honesty to proclaim that which many others are thinking...
"Years ago, traffic wasn't so bad..."
Add to it if you will, but find a reasonable existing house--there's a plethora of them.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,277 times
Unhappy in response

Cathy,

Hi my name is Jody, I am orginally from Hamilton NJ, lived there all my life. Now 30yrs old, lived here in Northeastern PA, Lackawanna Twp, Thornhurst, for aprx 4 1/2 yrs. it was the worst move i ever made. I as well moved here looking for the slower paced, quaint small towns. Which succeeded in that area, but as the other person wrote, there are no jobs! My fianace being an Electronic Engineer has looked for employment for the years we have lived here un-able to find anything. I have had several jobs, now working at Bank Of america. for about 3 yrs. Not my type of work, but the only thing I could find. If i could i would've stayed in NJ. People are not friendly here at all. Everyone is for themselves and no one is helpful.. I walk my dog and wave and people look at youi with a dirty look and look the other way. I dont wave anymore. I was raised with respect and courtsey and people in Lackawanna Cty, which is the area the other person was leading you to is the worst area to move too. Job's especially. if money is no object and you are people that are loners, then this is the place to come. But we were not, we were disappointed!! and you will be at least 40 minutes away from any type of store or major mall for shopping/gas. Contary to what you used to in NJ, all of your bills except your mortgage and taxes (which are high for this area) are higher than in NJ. the cost of food is higher. and the doctors and hospitals have a lot to be desired (case in point myself and fiance have been to doctors and such several times which diagnosis unknown!!) ! the wilderness is the only positive acspect of the area and the landscapes ! please feel free to email me at dogheaven0211@aol.com if you have any questions. ~ jody

Old 03-08-2007, 10:13 AM

33 posts, read 134,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogheaven0211 View Post
Cathy,

Hi my name is Jody, I am orginally from Hamilton NJ, lived there all my life. Now 30yrs old, lived here in Northeastern PA, Lackawanna Twp, Thornhurst, for aprx 4 1/2 yrs. it was the worst move i ever made. I as well moved here looking for the slower paced, quaint small towns. Which succeeded in that area, but as the other person wrote, there are no jobs! My fianace being an Electronic Engineer has looked for employment for the years we have lived here un-able to find anything. I have had several jobs, now working at Bank Of america. for about 3 yrs. Not my type of work, but the only thing I could find. If i could i would've stayed in NJ. People are not friendly here at all. Everyone is for themselves and no one is helpful.. I walk my dog and wave and people look at youi with a dirty look and look the other way. I dont wave anymore. I was raised with respect and courtsey and people in Lackawanna Cty, which is the area the other person was leading you to is the worst area to move too. Job's especially. if money is no object and you are people that are loners, then this is the place to come. But we were not, we were disappointed!! and you will be at least 40 minutes away from any type of store or major mall for shopping/gas. Contary to what you used to in NJ, all of your bills except your mortgage and taxes (which are high for this area) are higher than in NJ. the cost of food is higher. and the doctors and hospitals have a lot to be desired (case in point myself and fiance have been to doctors and such several times which diagnosis unknown!!) ! the wilderness is the only positive acspect of the area and the landscapes ! please feel free to email me at dogheaven0211@aol.com if you have any questions. ~ jody
I'm not sure what you're talking about Jody. I'm very sad to hear about your bad expierience, but just to let you know, hardly no other places in PA are like that. I guess you just made the wrong decision of which town to move to.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:16 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,692,770 times
Oh, dear. I feel badly for you that you've had such a bad experience. My DH and I moved to this area almost 20 years ago now and we've never felt unaccepted. We joined a church and got very involved. We have kids who have helped break the ice with other parents at sporting and scouting events. We got involved in community volunteer activities. I highly suggest to anyone new to any area that they join things and make friends that way.

The only time we've felt like "outsiders" is when we realize that half of the people around here are related to the other half of the people around here and we're not related to anybody. LOL! Or when someone's giving directions and says to turn at the barn where Jimmy and Susie used to hang out, or something like that, and we have no idea where they mean.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:14 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,907,544 times
landsdowne, doylestowne, new Hope, Chadds ford, Westchester,

Old 03-09-2007, 02:50 PM

937 posts, read 2,889,271 times
Try the Scranton area suburbs. Nice!

Old 07-05-2007, 12:34 PM

3 posts, read 7,146 times
Default Oley, definitely

I have lived in Oley now for 18 years. (I am 49 yrs. old) I moved out here from Whitehouse, NJ - actually am a Jersey girl, having lived in Somerville, Morristown, Long Valley, Basking Ridge and Tewksbury. Oley is basically cow country (as opposed to horse country in NJ) but Oley is taking on more and more horse estates. It is a beautiful farming valley surrounded by the Alpine mtns. (Oley means 'kettle' in the Indian language of the Lenapes). My Jersey friends joke that I live in the middle of nowhere but alas, I say, there is a 'city' within 15 driving minutes (unlike Jersey) - the city of Reading - which offers plenty of cultural arts, music, theater, concerts - and a yearly Jazz Festival. Reading is growing in the arts, very steadily, as well as offering a wonderful selection of fine dining. Plenty of mall shopping close by - and Philly is only an hour drive time away. I visit my longtime Jersey friends regularly - only an hour and a half commute.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:55 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,047 times
Somerton, PA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania