Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 08:48 PM

222 posts, read 1,411,044 times

Advertisements

They do have an airport located in state college, however it's like a very minor county airport, they do not have an international airport. it has a bus link to harrisburg city through greyhound. also it does NOT have connection via amtrak or passenger train. the closest the train goes is lewistown I think. The area is very beautiful. It seems to be isolated, but is in fact one of the most diverse areas in pennsylvania, because of the college. Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg and then State College. They have cable high speed internet, probably through comcast. Here it costs 30 bucks as introductory and about 60 for regular terms. Heating can be more costly depending where you're from. aprox 1500 - 3000 sounds average for heating oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 05:12 PM

39 posts, read 186,414 times
I have worked in state college for over 20yrs and have witnessed some growth, but the growth here pales in comparison to someplace like York county. As an example the population of York county since 2000 went up 27,050 whereas Center (State College) county went up 4800 with most of that growth foreign born. ( http://www.census.gov/popest/counties/ (broken link) ). I currently live out of the area because of the high price of realestate and high taxes, but work with a number of people who live in the outskirts (10-15 miles) of the city on very modest incomes. Areas like Penns Valley, Bellefonte, and Pleasant Gap that have very short commutes to State College with not much traffic. Oh and there is an airport (University Park) that is big enough to land jets since Penn State joined the Big Ten and it's about 5 miles from the city center with I believe daily flights to philly and a few other major cities.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:55 PM

11 posts, read 52,907 times
[quote=Autobot032;293668]

Also, the crime might not be as bad as some areas, but it's pretty high due to the college kids. Drugs and alcohol related crimes are a given. My cousin just turned 18 and got a scholarship to Penn State, and she went to the main campus, once she had a chance to see all the goings on...she freaked and had to come back home. She had all her credits and info transferred to Penn State's Behrend Campus in Erie/North East (the town) PA. When asked what really got to her, she said it's a proven fact that only 10% of rapes are reported in a college setting, and that rapes occur quite often in said setting. Even had a pamphlet describing in detail what she was talking about. *shudders*

I'm sorry but I'm from Erie and went to school at State College Penn State campus... and your cousin has a better chance of getting raped, shot and mugged in Erie than in State College. There is VERY LITTLE crime at State College. Everyone is very kind to each other, considering they all have the PSU pride in common. I have never heard of anything more than a few drunken brawls and car accidents, to be honest. In Erie, you hear more gruesome things on a daily basis than you will hear in State College. And as other said, most rapes are by acquaintances. That is bound to happen at ANY college campus.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:11 PM

5 posts, read 11,956 times
we are retired and interested in summer (2014) rentals in the State College, PA area....any suggestions???...what is weather like during these summer months....only need a small place ...away from crowds..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania