Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2008, 03:21 PM

2 posts, read 11,365 times

Advertisements

I want to know if anybody remembers the location of Kresge's in Lancaster, PA. I thought, but I'm not sure, if it used to be at the Lancaster Shopping Center between Lititz and Oregon Pikes. I know the Grant's store was at the location, but I am not sure if both Grant's and Kresge's were at that there. Or, was Kresge's in downtown Lancaster? I read that McCrory's bought Kresge's at some point in time. I know there was a McCrory's store downtown, which included a basement sales floor that you could use to get from King St to Queen St. Was that location originally Kresge's and then the name changed when McCrory's took over? I seem to remember both stores being in business at the same time, but can't remember where Kresge's was. It's driving me nuts trying to find out. Thanks in advance if anyone can clear this up for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 08:08 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,979,438 times
I don't know if I am right or any Kreges are left, maybe, i thought they turned into K-marts. I could be wrong.

sorry if no help

Old 08-05-2008, 08:25 PM

2 posts, read 11,365 times
Default Kresge's became Kmart

Thanks for your reply. At some point, Kresge's did become Kmart, but both were still open for a period of time after the first Kmart opened. I looked on the internet hoping to find where the location of the store was in Lancaster, but can't find anything. I hope someone else might know since it's driving me crazy .. LOL

Old 08-28-2011, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,956 times
Default Kresge's Dept Store in Lancaster

I remember going to Kresge's at the Manor Shopping Center. Used to love their hamburgers! And they had ballons to pick with numbers inside- how much you would pay for a banana split. Anybody else remember that?

Old 11-17-2015, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,854 times
Default Wasn't there a Kresge's in Downtown Lancaster as well?

I seem to remember that there was also a Kresge's in downtown Lancaster. There were 2 stores that connected from the basements. You walked into McCory's on Orange street a few buildings up from Woolworth's and went int the basement. I am almost positive that when you came up on the other side you were in Kresge's on King Street. I could be wrong.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:27 PM

192 posts, read 292,877 times
[quote=ewhatton;4742951]I want to know if anybody remembers the location of Kresge's in Lancaster, PA. I thought, but I'm not sure, if it used to be at the Lancaster Shopping Center between Lititz and Oregon Pikes. I know the Grant's store was at the location, but I am not sure if both Grant's and Kresge's were at that there. Or, was Kresge's in downtown Lancaster? I read that McCrory's bought Kresge's at some point in time. I know there was a McCrory's store downtown, which included a basement sales floor that you could use to get from King St to Queen St. Was that location originally Kresge's and then the name changed when McCrory's took over? I seem to remember both stores being in business at the same time, but can't remember where Kresge's was. It's driving me nuts trying to find out. Thanks in advance if anyone can clear this up for me.[/Q

follow this link:
Kresge's Last Fifty Years Downtown Lancaster | Lancaster Eagle Gazette | lancastereaglegazette.com

Old 11-20-2015, 06:15 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,127,931 times
By the way, although I am not familiar with the Lancaster location, S. S. Kresge lived close to me here in northeastern PA. He owned a 35 acre estate surrounded by a three to four foot high hand laid stone wall. Although he passed away many years ago; his home still stands today.

I remember seeing him around town back in the 1950's. He drove an old woody and you would never suspect that he was wealthy from his appearance - you might even give him a dime for a coffee.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,353 times
My Dad managed the McCrory store in Lancaster when I was about 4 years old, around 1962 . I will post photos of it and of many places around Lancaster. We lived along the Pequea creek on a dead end dirt road next to a horse farm. Also during our time there, in old time townhouse apartments in Lancaster, where from our back yard cement stair went down to the elementary school. I will search for photos.

Last edited by RobinRoberts; 08-09-2021 at 07:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania