U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 06:32 PM

2,516 posts, read 2,895,269 times
oh - and I should also add that I am not opposed to a strip plaza providing they sell rather than lease the storefronts. The "main st." ambiance is more what I'm going for, but I've seen some pretty nice strip plazas with nice flavor. Area I live in only leases storefronts in strip plazas but saw a lot 4 sale in Tenn. & VA when I went on a fact-finding mission this summer. Internet search didn't turn any up for sale in PA, but it never hurts to mention it. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 05:44 AM

519 posts, read 1,635,791 times
I think there are a fair number of people who will buy flowers a few times a month, the thing is, nowadays, many people are buying online from 1800 flowers or places like that. Its much easier for me to order them online and have them delivered than to go buy them at a flower shop.
I do not want to dampen your plans, but I know when I buy flowers, the first place I check is online, and probably many other people do as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
Well even tho the OP didn't get back to you guys, I want to let you know that the last 3 pages of your comments is EXACTLY what I'm looking for! THANKS to all of you! I have posted here and there t/o CD Forums, as I'm trying to get a LOT of info on a LOT of places in the northeast to mid-atlantic section of the country. I really know I want to move out of NY, and I'm visiting as many places as I can; but there's only so much time & $$ to physically visit all of them.

So far all the towns you've mentioned are the kind I'd want to live in. But I need to be able to relocate my business there. I am a florist and most of the florists t/o USA are being squeezed by the grocery stores & even the big box stores like Walmart & Target.

Not that I can blame consumers, I used to purchase flowers at the grocer's myself for all the same reasons. I even worked at one for 18 months specifically to see what it would take to stay in business against them. I know no matter how good the business grows, I'll never come close to the amount they do. But I have done my homework, & worked at small places as well before going out on my own.

Which brings me to one more question for all of you, if you'd be so kind. (ok- maybe 2 questions...lol)

1 - Knowing the state of our economy & how strapped we are all becoming, would you say there are a fair # of people out there (like me!) that will spend 10-15 bucks 1 to 3 times a month to take home a bouquet of flowers, or bring some to work, to a sick friend, etc.?

2 - Are all of those towns you listed above already inundated with florists or not able to support the ones that are there? Any of those towns you think could use one more flower shop? The last thing I want to do is put up shop where someone is already successful but still needing every available customer. I need a town w/ a "main st." shopping area w/ a variety of businesses that generate moderate to heavy foot traffic.

I understand if you all are too busy, and I'll keep searching & reading the forums for insight. I drove up thru PA on my way back to NY from VA. Only the 4th or 5th time in PA, and I love it more every time! Thanks for all & any comments!!

Old 10-06-2008, 06:40 AM

Thanks, Pinetar, for your input. The online flower industry has definitely made a dent. While I still do a lot of pre-orders, custom orders, deliveries, etc., and while I certainly don't want to lose that, I want to emphasize my business to cater to the "home entertaining" crowd. That segment of the population is growing - fast. I want the consumer who stops on his way home from work to pick up a bottle of wine and right next door is a nice array of affordable flowers to choose from. Or the woman who stopped to get her nails done or grab a bagel & coffee on her way into work. They weren't planning on buying an inexpensive bouquet; impulse, convenience & price spurred the decision.

That's why it's taking me a while to find the right spot; a lot of factors come into play when you try to attract 'passers-by" business. Hoping one of those towns mentioned in above posts will have that kind of shopping atmosphere.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:57 AM

92 posts, read 263,540 times
Just a thought...I live in a brand new neighborhood that is working on a "village concept". There will eventually be somewhere around 500-600 residences with a "Main Street" that will have businesses. They are hoping to have some type of pizza shop, dry cleaner, etc. I think a flower shop would be a perfect addition to add to the mix. I know ours is not the only neighborhood planning a similar concept...so maybe something like that would work for you. I would be curious to hear what you think. I live in Mechanicsburg, PA.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:50 AM

Thanks for your comment llzpa! There is a website - www.mainstreet.org that is working to help communities do just that! If Mechanicsburg is actively pursuing revitalization, then hopefully they already know of this organization. They help to find & provide gov't. funding (let's hope that hasn't been cut!) to these communities. I am all for that - it's exactly what I'm looking for. I will check out Mechanicsburg - THANKS!!!

Old 10-08-2008, 11:56 AM

Sure, not a problem. I will check that site out. Our neighborhood is called Walden and it is being built by Charter Homes Charter Homes | Home if you want to check it out.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:42 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,001,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
Thanks for your comment llzpa! There is a website - www.mainstreet.org that is working to help communities do just that! If Mechanicsburg is actively pursuing revitalization, then hopefully they already know of this organization. They help to find & provide gov't. funding (let's hope that hasn't been cut!) to these communities. I am all for that - it's exactly what I'm looking for. I will check out Mechanicsburg - THANKS!!!
Mechanicsburg is a healthy borough....but llza actually resides in a new "fake" town that has been built just outside the borough. I don't fault him/her for this move but one has wonder if more of this sprawl will actually hurt the already established and beautiful borough of Mechanicsburg.

Walden looks like an interesting community and they are doing a lot of things right (creating an urban, walkable streetscape and incorporating retail and neighborhood shops) but I doubt anybody who works in those shops is going to be able to afford to live in the community. Plus, the town is "cut-off" from Mechanicsburg and only accessible by a few entry points by automobile. There is no public transportation or connection to any existing street grid (would have been nice if it connected to Mechanicsburg). I will have to drive out there and check it out sometime though!

Old 10-08-2008, 02:17 PM

Dan-

I agree with you on some of your points. I wasn't trying to say that it was the town. I said it was a neighborhood with a village concept. With the mix of single family homes and town homes it actually can be affordable. When we were looking I kept saying that I liked places like in-town Mechanicsburg, yet I didn't want the work of an old home. That is one of the many reasons we picked this neighborhood, because it has an old town feel with new construction. If I had the time or skills to keep up with an old house I would have...but unfortunately I have neither. I have a 9 year old son and love the fact that there will be a township park that is a walkable distance, as well as a swimming pool and I think eventually a gym of some sort. I love the idea of not having to leave neighborhood and venture out into the crazy traffic if I don't want to. I really think the concept is great and I am hoping to have more neighbors soon. Definitely come check it out.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:33 PM

Hi llzpa, I checked out Charter Homes website. Walden looks beautiful!! I sent an e-mail to them inquiring about Old Main Street; leasing vs. buying. There are a few planned urban developments just starting to spring up around here. I think the concept is a great idea! I still don't know if that set-up would provide enough revenue for me; but as I said, I'm still fact-gathering so all of your your posts on different towns REALLY help!

Old 10-10-2008, 06:24 AM

503 posts, read 1,119,757 times
You say there are a few planned urban developments starting, can you tell me some of the names or developers. You can send me a private message if its considered advertising. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania