Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 12:15 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,085,827 times

Advertisements

Hey, we love Glocks in Florida. I carry mine with me always.. It looks good with my Tommy Bahama shirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 06:26 PM

3 posts, read 14,833 times
Juggernaut...thanks, and you're correct...it is a LTCF here. I didn't even realize that I was calling it a conceal carry permit, but that's what happens when you live out on the west coast for several years and then have to come back east! (I'm still trying to get back to east coast normalcy )

As far as the open carrying, when I said it was legal by de-facto law, I was saying that it's legal. I'm sorry if my rambling took away from my overall message.
The term de-facto simply means exactly what you said..."that if something is not labeled as illegal, it therefore is automatically legal."

I only mentioned that I (personally) would not recommend it depending on where you live. We've had too many issues here in the Harrisburg area with police officers who don't understand the legality of open carrying.

We had a woman here in this area stripped of her LTCF last year because she was open carrying at her kid's soccer game. The parents complained and whined so the damn Sheriff stripped her LTCF claiming that she was "unstable" or some crap like that.
I'm sure most of you guys heard about her...the story even made the national news networks and gained the NRA's attention. You may be able to make the argument that her actions were in "bad taste," but she wasn't mentally unstable or doing anything illegal. But that didn't stop them from violating her 2nd Ammendment right to begin with.

In the end a judge gave it back to her, but it shouldn't have even been an issue to begin with. That's the type of situation I was referring to in my post. They can, and will, hassle you about it in some areas. Other areas though will know the law and/or not care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut1547 View Post

Navygal, good post, but I'd like to comment on a few things.

Firstly, there's no such thing as a concealed carry permit in PA--there's only the LTCF (License to Carry Firearms).

Secondly, open carry certainly is legal for the reason you stated--it isn't illegal. PA law doesn't have to say that it's legal.

Thirdly (and this isn't directed towards just you, Navygal), know the law when you carry, whether openly or concealed. PA is very much an open carry state.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:01 PM

67 posts, read 269,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRed View Post
Thanks Juggernaut...Would **** my local PD off knowing I was able to get one from another state that will let me carry just because I'm a law abiding person instead of all the restrictions they place on me which in effect means I can have one in my house and almost nowhere else...Bet it will not take 6 months either!!!
No problem.

When you get your PA LTCF, be sure you know the law back and forth. Again, if you have any questions, let me know and/or check PAFOA.

NY scares me.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navygal303 View Post
As far as the open carrying, when I said it was legal by de-facto law, I was saying that it's legal. I'm sorry if my rambling took away from my overall message.
I gotcha. And you weren't rambling--your post was actually very informative.

Quote:
I only mentioned that I (personally) would not recommend it depending on where you live. We've had too many issues here in the Harrisburg area with police officers who don't understand the legality of open carrying.
I see where you're coming from. I support all forms of carry, but I also subscribe to the "open carry when and where appropriate" mantra (I didn't come up with that myself).

Quote:
We had a woman here in this area stripped of her LTCF last year because she was open carrying at her kid's soccer game.
Did that just burn you up? She's a member of PAFOA, and her case is pretty well-documented over on the forum. It worked out in the end but is still a great example of the stigma placed on firearms by the general public.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:50 PM

3 posts, read 14,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut1547 View Post
Did that just burn you up? She's a member of PAFOA, and her case is pretty well-documented over on the forum. It worked out in the end but is still a great example of the stigma placed on firearms by the general public.
Oh it did more than burn me up! I was spitting nails for weeks over that. There could have been an entire group of gangbanger punk kids down the road carrying illegally (and knowing this area it's becoming increasingly possible) but they whine and cry about a law abiding gun owner instead. All because people in this area are becoming so darn "sensitive" to anything that offends them.

Personally I think it was an even more sensible choice to open carry versus concealing it. Would I want my purse sitting around with the gun concealed in it, when there are kids all around and I might lose track of it? Of course not. And considering that it was warm weather at the time there was nowhere for her to conceal it on her person.
So she open carried right on her hip where the gun was in her control at all times and there was less chance of any little fingers getting to it. Sounds sensible, and legal, to me! People don't think that violence could happen at a soccer field? Violence can happen everywhere today, even in our "sleepy" area! I mean who would have every guessed that a nutjob would walk off the street and shoot up an Amish schoolhouse full of little girls? Execution style, no less!

People can live in a fantasy world all they like but this area is becoming increasingly violence and poorly protected. Our police departments are streached too thin and there are too many new gangs moving into the area. Lancaster city itself supposedly has over 700 various gangs now operating there. Everything kind you could imagine. Including the Bloods, the Crips, the 86th Street gang and the Latin Kings. And I'm not pulling that information out of nowhere either...it came from a member of the Lancaster City police force's Gang Taskforce. Harrisburg & Middletown have their fair share cropping up there too. Some are wannabes, but there are plenty that are the real deal. And these group may be small right now, but with the big cities pushing the gangs out and interupting their operations they have to go somewhere. Why not small town America? An area like our where there are few gang task forces, smaller police departments and where we're not ready for them? Sounds like a gang member's dream.

I grew up in an area on the West Shore where you could go to sleep with your doors unlocked. Where camo-clad hunters carrying 22's down the road in the early fall mornings was normal and where the worse crimes commited each year were Mischief Night pumpkin smashings. Now even that town is having it's share of increased violence and crimes.
So I will continue to carry my H&K 9mil wherever I darn well feel like it and wherever I can legally do so. In my gun purse, under my coat or right there where all can see hangin' from my jeans. And the anti-gun cry babies can go jump in the Susquehanna!

People need to stop worrying about the responsible, law abiding and mentally stable gun owners, and start worrying instead about the fruitcakes, our new gangmember neighbors, the neighbors next door who get into domestic disputes every night and other people in this area that are trying to conceal their illegal weapons.

Rant over.

Last edited by Navygal303; 04-17-2009 at 03:11 PM..

Old 04-18-2009, 09:25 PM

Good post, Navygal.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:37 AM

371 posts, read 938,068 times
Amen to that Navygal!!!

Old 04-21-2009, 08:17 PM

3 posts, read 14,872 times
Is there laws in PA against owning Semi-Automatic rifles? (we're thinking of re-locating to PA and my husband hunts and has 2 semi auto rifles)

Old 04-21-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by y000og1 View Post
Is there laws in PA against owning Semi-Automatic rifles? (we're thinking of re-locating to PA and my husband hunts and has 2 semi auto rifles)
Absolutely not. I suggest your husband check up on the laws himself, though.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:50 AM

21 posts, read 56,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y000og1 View Post
There are no laws against owning semi-auto rifles, but PA hunting regulations prohibit using semi-auto rilfes and handguns for hunting. A semi-auto .22 rifle or pistol is not permitted, for example, while a bolt, pump, lever or single-shot .22 rifle or .22 revolver is permitted. The same with large-caliber rifles and handguns for big-game hunting - autoloaders are not permitted.

So, your husband is allowed to own and shoot his semi-auto rifles, but he won't be able to hunt with them.

Semi-auto shotguns are permitted for hunting in PA, so long as they don't hold more than three shells.

Last edited by deanbrew; 04-24-2009 at 07:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania