U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2008, 10:49 AM

9 posts, read 26,207 times

Advertisements

Hi! Am planning to visit Penn in Dec and have been recommended making a trip to the Hershey Park. Is it really worth a visit? Or any other recommendations? I'll probably spend 3 days in Penn.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 12:08 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,393,677 times
Hershey Park is not a good idea in the middle of Winter.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:29 AM

1,516 posts, read 6,241,006 times
BUT, if you're here after the Christmas Candylane opens, Hersheypark is a very good idea. They now charge around $10 per person which includes unlimited rides (that are open) and hot chocolate. Chocolateworld is always open and free. And there's another place where you can ride through a field of Christmas decorations for around $20 a carload. Then there's the outlet stores for Christmas shopping!

Some other places to check out might be Lancaster County - the PA Train Museum, if you like trains, and a Christmas train ride through the countryside.

Gettysburg has battlefield tours year-round. Philadelphia is rich in history near Independence Hall. Pittburgh has many tourist places, plus a zoo and aquarium. NEPA has Steamtown (trains) in Scranton. Harrisburg has the Whitaker Center (museum) and a Civil War Museum. South Williamsport has the Little League Museum and Hall of Fame.

I'm sure there are many more things I've missed. Things do slow down in PA for the winter but depending on the weather, there are many more things to do also, such as skiing and snow tubing in various locations throughhout the state.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:05 AM

396 posts, read 770,818 times
If you go to Gettysburg, DEFINITELY take one of the walking Ghost tours. My cousin and I have gone on several of them and they really are neat.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:57 AM

1,516 posts, read 6,241,006 times
Excellent recommendation, Morale Officer. I'm too chicken to do a ghost walk, but some friends of mine did and they had a great time - even took their 7 yo grandson with them. Warning: they thought things moved around in the hotel room during the night, and the TV came on at 2:00 a.m. for no apparent reason. Wooooooooo!!!!

Old 08-21-2008, 04:27 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,919,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elysesyle View Post
Hi! Am planning to visit Penn in Dec and have been recommended making a trip to the Hershey Park. Is it really worth a visit? Or any other recommendations? I'll probably spend 3 days in Penn.
you can find three days worth of stuff to do in Philly.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:34 PM

347 posts, read 1,079,949 times
Visit the Ashland's Pioneer Coal Mine Tour. It takes you into some of Pennsylvania's "darkest" history. It is fasinating and the mountains surrounding it are beautiful too. Ashland is in the northern end of Schulkill County in NEPA.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:28 AM

3,866 posts, read 5,652,966 times
A great link:

VisitPA :: Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania