Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Whats your favorite PA region?
Philadelphia and its Countryside 13 13.83%
Lehigh Valley 6 6.38%
Anthracite Coal Region 8 8.51%
Susquehanna Valley (Central Penn) 20 21.28%
North-Central Pennsylvania 9 9.57%
Pittsburgh + Metro 14 14.89%
North-Western Pennsylvania 16 17.02%
All of Pennsylvania 8 8.51%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 08:49 AM

347 posts, read 1,145,647 times

Advertisements

Pick your favorite region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 01:58 PM

259 posts, read 848,738 times
Susquehanna Valley. Not because I've lived there from birth until I was 18, but I seriously like it more than any other place I've been to in PA. I like the Northern Susquehanna Valley more. West Branch to be exact. The scenery wins it for me. Harrisburg area although it has the history and some great scenery just doesn't compare to rural scenery up North. Pittsburgh and Philly are also nice in their own way. Really the only area of PA I haven't been to would be Northeastern PA. I've been to Erie to go fishing on Lake Erie(that was fun!), Pitt when one of my Aunt's was going to college there, Philly for a couple baseball games and many trips to the Airport. Most of the other places I've been to while travelling places. Turnpike mostly when I travel from South Dakota to PA. I really want to go to State College for a Penn State game someday. That would be the first place I'd go to of the places I haven't been to yet. I've already been to Pocono for a race and want to go back there sometime too to experience more of the area. Also need to make it to the Scranton area sometime.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:27 PM

6,616 posts, read 9,168,749 times
Even though I grew up in the anthracite coal region, I picked Pittsburgh. I've been there a few times and love the fact that it's kind of gritty, yet shows a lot of signs of improvement. If money and a job weren't factors, I'd LOVE to buy an old industrial-type building and turn it into a loft or lofts.

I also love the Susquehanna Valley. It has a certain 'feel' to it that I love.

I like just about all of PA but if I had to pick my least favorite area, it would definitely be the Philadelphia area. It's just not the place for me, though I know a lot of people who live there and love it.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:08 PM

259 posts, read 848,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Even though I grew up in the anthracite coal region, I picked Pittsburgh. I've been there a few times and love the fact that it's kind of gritty, yet shows a lot of signs of improvement. If money and a job weren't factors, I'd LOVE to buy an old industrial-type building and turn it into a loft or lofts.

I also love the Susquehanna Valley. It has a certain 'feel' to it that I love.

I like just about all of PA but if I had to pick my least favorite area, it would definitely be the Philadelphia area. It's just not the place for me, though I know a lot of people who live there and love it.
I feel the same way about Philly. It's nice but....yeh. I do like the new show they started on Animal Planet. Animal Cops Philadelphia. Especially living in SD. Get to see a part of PA without being there. I miss PA a lot.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:15 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,268,091 times
Where do the Poconos and Endless Mountains fit into this poll? I suppose Scranton/Wilkes-Barre would still be the "Anthracite" region?

Old 08-22-2008, 03:33 PM

I suppose I should have wrote NEPA instead of the Anthracite Coal Region. My bad. And Scranton and Wilkes Barre will always be consitered part of the Coal Region. Whithout those two cities the industry would have never been as big as it was.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:23 PM

9 posts, read 27,205 times
I would have to say the Lehigh Valley area. We drive all the time on the turnpike to upstate N.Y. (Binghamton, barf...ugh...) that's where were from, but have lived in the L.V. area about 4 yrs. now. There is so much to do, and I love the fact that I can see as far as I can see from my on house. People are very friendly here and the better jobs seem more abundant. I like being less than 2 hrs. from the ocean (I know, I know, the Jersey shore isn't what it used to be), a couple of hrs. from N.Y.C., and 2 htrs. closer to the warmth. I am very happy with our school district and the kids have plenty to do. I can say I'm pretty happy here!

Old 08-22-2008, 06:35 PM

3 posts, read 8,990 times
Does anyone know about unionville, pa??? I am looking for a quaint town/safe country living in some rolling hills of PA. With some good, safe, public high schools.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:55 PM

Unionville, population 300, is near State College. I don't know much more than that. City Data has some more information about the town.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:39 PM

463 posts, read 1,559,068 times
I put down Central Pennsylvania, but I could have easily said North-Central Pennsylvania. I know the Philly area and Lehigh Valley are nice, but they're a bit snobbish for my tastes. I'm afraid I don't know too much about anything west of the Route 15 corridor though; never spent significant amounts of time there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania