Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 01:47 PM

20 posts, read 56,822 times

Advertisements

I am interested in moving to York as well. But the one thing that scares me is the diversity. I can't deal with the old way of thinking, especially when it comes to judging race. I am a white women who married a hispanic man and I have a mixed child. I live in California and I think most of the people here are mixed, so i can't imagine the non-acceptance. I go visit back there all the time and I can say that I have family members that make some remarks. I agree with the women above, i wish more diversity would come into York. It is a beautiful place. Low Cost of Living, Low Crime Rate and Good Schools. I researched all of that already. Its the old timers! I do not care what they thinK! I just can't imagine a place where no one ever says hi to one another. People do in Califonia. Yeah, I know for the most part keep to your self, but friendly Hello are great for everyone, anywhere. They need to pull their head out of the sand. As for crime, compared to other places, it is nothing, you can't escape that, it is there but on a much smaller scale than LA, Chicago, New York. York is a growing, but quaint town. I am still investigating myself. I found this website to be helpful too.....www.inyork.com....good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,069 times
I am woman of color (black) and I have lived in York (Red Lion School District) for over two years now. I like it alot because I live in one of the newer developments and everyone here is either from Maryland or New York. The people in Red Lion (for the most part) are getting used to seeing people of color, but you do still get looks. I, personally, like the Suburban and Central School Districts more. They are a little more diverse. My children (of which I have three) seem to be adapting ok. I have one is elementary, junior high and senior high. If you have any questions or need someone to point you in the right direction, my husband actually became of the the few people of color in York who does residential real estate sales. God has used his wonderful personality to help other races such as Hispanics, Asians and Black people. If you want additional information, please feel free to send a re-post.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,856 times
Hi, this is not a reply but a ques. My husband and I want to move to Hanover Pa, we're black, hosp. worker.Will it be safe for us? Will we be able to find works?
Thanks a head for your honest reply.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:06 PM

3 posts, read 11,225 times
I was thinking of moving to Thomasville or Gettysburg, still looking for the best way to commut to DC

Old 04-17-2012, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 4,148 times
york is where its at b i live der

Old 04-17-2012, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 4,148 times
Seriously I live inside of York Pa all my life and its not dangerous as everyone makes it seem the schools are alittle over crowed but they are fine and the peoplr are not rude!!

Old 08-22-2012, 12:43 PM

46 posts, read 143,788 times
I guess what I have to say isn't that significant, nor will it change anyone's attitude, but I have lived in 5 different states and numerous cities throughout my 60 years, and I have traveled to almost every state in this nation. I have found so much to embrace and cherish in every single place either because of the different characteristics and customs of each city or simply because of the wonderful people I have met of all races, ages, and walks of life.

What I have found is that my contentment and my quality of life in each new town or county is contingent upon the dignity and respect I bring there rather the expectations I may have of what I will gain there. This a beautiful wonderful country where I have found so much good and so much humanity. No matter where I go in the USA, I know that I will enjoy a freedom, a standard of living, and a peace of mind that many people around the world can only dream of.

So to those who plan on moving ANYWHERE in this great country - - yes, do some research, but ultimately, follow your heart and make the city you move to a better place simply because it has YOU in it.

Last edited by Mec4U; 08-22-2012 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-06-2012, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,774 times
So did you end up moving to York? I want a follow up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania