Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Philadelphia 103 49.52%
Pittsburgh 105 50.48%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 10:57 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times

Advertisements

When you say core neighborhoods are you just talking about those that surround Center City...Because I will say it again, Philadelphia has alot of Neighborhoods that need revitalized not just North Philly and Point Breeze....Let's be honest and real here.

Mexican War Street, L'ville and the Stip are already established and well underway....The Hill has a ways to go....

I dont hate on Philly, I'm honest about it....and with that honesty will be somethings negiative, some of the cheerleaders of Philly can't take that...Like Rainrock....Philly is what it is nothing more nothing less.

While I'm a homer of Pittsburgh, I've been more than vocal about what its problems are and continue to be those drums....I can't say the same about Philly homers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 12:16 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
When you say core neighborhoods are you just talking about those that surround Center City...Because I will say it again, Philadelphia has alot of Neighborhoods that need revitalized not just North Philly and Point Breeze....Let's be honest and real here.
Mexican War Street, L'ville and the Stip are already established and well underway....The Hill has a ways to go....
I am being honest and real here and yes, that's what I mean. you tend to give some burgh neighborhoods a pass but mexican war streets aren't really in better shape than spring garden...manchester isn't better off than francisville or sharswood....and l'ville isn't really better off than fishtown. the strip is great, but it's got a ways to go as a neighborhood.

Quote:

I dont hate on Philly, I'm honest about it....and with that honesty will be somethings negiative, some of the cheerleaders of Philly can't take that...Like Rainrock....Philly is what it is nothing more nothing less.
I also think I'm being honest about both cities. Philly is a lot of things to a lot of people
Quote:
While I'm a homer of Pittsburgh, I've been more than vocal about what its problems are and continue to be those drums....I can't say the same about Philly homers.
as noted, it's really a matter of opinion. I resent the claim that I'm a homer and find the word unfairly characterizes my perspective.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:43 PM

homer is NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED of - 90% of CD is homers, and nothing wrong with Pride in your hometown...but are you able to remain Objective while showing that pride...and alot can't...

Now you have been pretty supportive of Pittsburgh and you can clearly see what the city has become in the last decade...But you can become bias whenever Pittsburgh is put up against Philly and a little subjective.

Like when I made the clear and relevant statement of Vibrancy and stated Philadelphia is Center City, and Pittsburgh is its neighborhoods...anyone that's thoroughly been to both cities and holds no bias would know exactly what I'm talking about, but you immediately went into defense for Philly....after I admittedly stated that Downtown Pittsburgh pales to Center City based on CBD's alone.

Do you think Philly is alone in cities where the Pulse/Vibrancy is mostly centered in one area?!?!? NO....alot of people prefer this to Pittsburgh's spread out approach...but that's what makes Pittsburgh so unique very few cities are set up like that and it takes alot of people by surprise.

I love Center City Philadelphia more than Manhattan if you can believe it because its managable. But when someone talks about Philly, I look at all of Philly not just Center City.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:33 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
homer is NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED of - 90% of CD is homers, and nothing wrong with Pride in your hometown...but are you able to remain Objective while showing that pride...and alot can't...

Now you have been pretty supportive of Pittsburgh and you can clearly see what the city has become in the last decade...But you can become bias whenever Pittsburgh is put up against Philly and a little subjective.
mainly I think you are incorrect about Philadelphia in some respects.
Quote:
Like when I made the clear and relevant statement of Vibrancy and stated Philadelphia is Center City, and Pittsburgh is its neighborhoods...anyone that's thoroughly been to both cities and holds no bias would know exactly what I'm talking about, but you immediately went into defense for Philly....
when you say it that way I have no issue but you basically said there was nothing going on outside of center city which isn't true. there are good neighborhoods outside center city and that's getting more true every year at this point, as taxes have come down, crime is down, and schools are less bad.
Quote:
Do you think Philly is alone in cities where the Pulse/Vibrancy is mostly centered in one area?!?!? NO....alot of people prefer this to Pittsburgh's spread out approach...but that's what makes Pittsburgh so unique very few cities are set up like that and it takes alot of people by surprise.
there are example of both. buffalot has an absolutely dead downtown but there are some nice neighborhoods. milwaukee isn't much further along in redeveloping its downtown but there are some nice neighborhoods. same with baltimore, heck, you could even argue that about boston. what's funny is people used to same the same about philly 20 years ago...OTOH, revitalization of downtown has been unquestionably good for the city. it's the face of a city that people see when they visit...and that's where your potential new residents or visitors come from. Pitt needs to add residents to lower taxes and keep providing services and I believe improving downtown is one major way to achieve that (along with core neighborhoods such as the strip and the north side where getting downtown is a breeze). I also see the signs I saw in Philly. I'm a pennsylvanian, there are a lot of places in the state I like (and dislike).
Quote:
I love Center City Philadelphia more than Manhattan if you can believe it because its managable. But when someone talks about Philly, I look at all of Philly not just Center City.
some folks here are philly bashers and some are philly boosters. I obviously understand that saying "subordinate" is going to **** people off without really adding much to the conversation. Philadelphians shouldn't say such things as they should know all too well what it's like to have someone say off the cuff remarks about its irrelevance (cough ny, cough). I used to joke that you had to go to ny for a good dinner (not entirely true but there wasn't that much here) but over time, ny became less impressive from a food perspective because philly had improved so much. anyway, I'd argue the burgh, in some ways, is more manageable than philly but it's different strokes for different folks.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:19 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Both city's are beautiful. Please, no need to post pictures to prove it.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:54 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times
> Mexican War Street, L'ville and the Stip <

Where is the Stip?

Old 09-24-2010, 12:42 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
I love how observations between two cities ultimately turns into "my local group of guys that play a sport are better than your local group of guys that play a sport".

Old 09-24-2010, 06:59 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:

You may be honest in your interpretation of Philadlephia but that doesnt make your interpretation correct.

You have been giving misinformation about Philly since you have joined city-data. You dont know the city or region nearly as well as you think you do. Dozens of native Philadlephians have been trying to tell you that to no avail.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:35 AM

Please Rainrock Stop....I know Philadelphia... and your interpretations of the truth are seriously flawed....Your sole focus has been on Center City as if that's all of Philadelphia....You try to bury your head in the sand when discussing Philadelphia neighborhood and its problems....You've shown that time and time again.

also I have continually shown up facts to negate you claims that Philadelphia is sooooo much more superior than Pittsburgh which is not only flat out wrong, its also irresponsible and misleading.

The Dozens of Natives that you speak of are just as subjective as you are....They too have the heads in the sand and dont want to admit truth because it doesnt paint Philadelphia as this Paradise that YOU and the rest of your homer buddies try to make it out as...

This is all I'm going to say on this, I've wasted enough of my time debating you.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:15 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:
Please Rainrock Stop....I know Philadelphia... and your interpretations of the truth are seriously flawed....Your sole focus has been on Center City as if that's all of Philadelphia....You try to bury your head in the sand when discussing Philadelphia neighborhood and its problems....You've shown that time and time again.
At this point I'm thinking you just like to argue.

^This^ is exactly what I am referring to.

There are dozens upon dozens of solid,stable, and world class neighborhoods other than Center City.

Philly has 125 neighborhoods in its city borders. We've tried educating you that they vary from horrific>bad>ok>good>world class . You are fixated to the belief that everyting beside Center City is problematic. We're trying to tell you that you are wrong.

You need to chill with the hate filled rhetoric in regards to Philly. Its an amazing city despite some problem areas.

Chestnut Hill

West Philadelphia

Mount Airy

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3003/2289120883_6189e359da.jpg (broken link)

East Falls

South Philly

Last edited by rainrock; 09-27-2010 at 04:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania