Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Philadelphia 103 49.52%
Pittsburgh 105 50.48%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 05:43 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,931,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
Another area where eastern PA beats Western PA.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!
ummmmmmmm, how many super bowls do the Eagles have?

Maybe in being better attracting fans who have the class to throw batteries at Santa, and stupid enough to make a chant that spells out their team's name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 05:50 AM

629 posts, read 901,019 times
Awsomo2000, the answer is ZEEEEEEEROOOOOOOO! 0 ! NONE ! ZILCH ! NADA ! "THEY", keeping eyeing their pinky ring though. Their hoping and wishing. Maybe, just maybe, if their nice enough, one of the STEELERS will let them take a look at one of THEIR rings! No touching, just a look.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:00 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,964,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
ummmmmmmm, how many super bowls do the Eagles have?

Maybe in being better attracting fans who have the class to throw batteries at Santa, and stupid enough to make a chant that spells out their team's name.
Throw batteries at Santa? Never heard that one. Plus, the whole "booing Santa" thing happened long before most current Eagles fans were even born, so that's getting a little old.

This is the part in the Philly vs. Pittsburgh debate where Philly wins. Pittsburgh is a lousy sports city. It could be a good sports city if the fans there actually supported one of their teams besides the "Stillers." The Pirates attendance is pathetic, even though PNC Park is one of the nicest parks in baseball (and affordable too). Maybe they would have more money to sign and keep talented players if people actually came out and supported the team. The Penguins almost moved out of town until Rendell gave them money to build a new arena...the fans didn't support the Pens when they stunk. Philly supports its teams even when they stink.

Last edited by FightinPhils; 09-09-2008 at 07:09 AM..

Old 09-09-2008, 07:28 AM

"Pittsburgh is a lousy sports city" LOL LOL LOL. Very FEW baseball parks in the country have attendance like NFL football games do. For one, how many home games do the STEELERS have compared to the PIRATES? Thats why when they build NEW baseball parks, they're ALWAYS smaller. Cities like Chicago for example. Ya, Wriggly is going to have a good attendance all season. Chicago's city population is 2.8 million! Philly's city population is 1.4 million. Comparing attendance records, population does matter. As far as "This is the part Philly vs Pittsburgh debate where Philly wins", like I said before, NOT on the PLAYING field do they. Come see us after u win 3 or 4 Super Bowls. Until then, wipe your tears with a TERRIBLE towel!

Old 09-09-2008, 07:32 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
The Pirates and their lack of support just destroys the entire aura of Pittsburgh sports. Excellent support for the Steelers + Penguins just gets whitewashed by the ridiculousness of seeing 10,000 fans in the seats to watch the Pirates play in an unbelievable ballpark.

In a battle of sports cities Philly obliterates Pittsburgh.

Phillies attendance this year
43,000 avg attendance 98% capacity

Pirates attendance
20,000 avg attendance 53% capacity

NFL's Top 10 Fan Bases

Philadelphia #1
Pittsburgh # 6

FOX Sports on MSN - NFL - NFL's Top 10 Fan Bases - Number 1

Some might call this biased, but the most passionate fans in all of sports are without question Philadelphia Eagles fans. They're cold-blooded and probably give KC a run for their money as being the loudest. They are by far the most knowledgeable fans in the league, and invented the perfect "boo." What cemented Philadelphia fans' reputation as the most amoral, loathsome collection in sports is famously called The Booing of Santa Claus. You would boo and throw snow balls too if Santa came out drunk in a half-done costume. Eagles' fans must deal with sports owners whose actions have not produced a champion in 25 years. The Eagles haven't hoisted a championship flag in 48 years, but the waiting list for season tickets is so long that you could sell out three stadiums full of Eagles fans for games.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:33 AM

I don't know if I agree with that 100%. The Pens didn't almost move out of town because the fans didn't support their team. There is a lot of support for Hockey here. I admit there are a lot of fairweather fans when they are doing good, but that is in every city.

I will admit the Steelers are the most supported team, but Pittsburgh is a great sportscity.

I for one, love football, but I don't get carried away with it. I moved back from Denver and this is one thing that annoys me. Almost to much fan support for a football team. People dress up and go to summer camp. I mean come on, there are other things in life. Denver people loved their broncos, but not to the point where they spend 4 hours a day watching them run around a track on a hot August day.

I lived in Philly. They were hardcore fans, but just to much. I almost got beat up for going into an Irish pub with my steeler cap on. In that year we weren't even playing each other. Another time to get a life, and just realize it is a sport. No fights should come from being a fan of another team.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:34 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,964,461 times
Ummm..the Phillies have had over 40 sellouts this season, and the ones that weren't sellouts were close. The Pirates draw less than many minor league teams. Smaller parks have nothing to do with it.....the majority of seats are Pirates games are EMPTY....unless people in Pittsburgh like to dress up as empty seats, then they aren't even filling 1/4 of that park.

See, you're proving why Pittsburgh is not a good spoprts town....the only thing you can go back to is football. Pittsburgh may be a football town, but not an all-around good sports town.

The population doesn't matter much either. St. Louis and Pittsburgh are similar in population, and the Cardinals get great fan support year in and year out, win or lose. Same with Cleveland, Cincinnati, Milwaukee...all similar in size and demographics to Pittsburgh, with great fan support of their baseball teams.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
The Pirates and their lack of support just destroys the entire aura of Pittsburgh sports. Excellent support for the Steelers + Penguins just gets whitewashed by the ridiculousness of seeing 10,000 fans in the seats to watch the Pirates play in an unbelievable ballpark.

In a battle of sports cities Philly obliterates Pittsburgh.

Phillies attendance this year
43,000 avg attendance 98% capacity

Pirates attendance
20,000 avg attendance 53% capacity

NFL's Top 10 Fan Bases

Philadelphia #1
Pittsburgh # 6

FOX Sports on MSN - NFL - NFL's Top 10 Fan Bases - Number 1

Some might call this biased, but the most passionate fans in all of sports are without question Philadelphia Eagles fans. They're cold-blooded and probably give KC a run for their money as being the loudest. They are by far the most knowledgeable fans in the league, and invented the perfect "boo." What cemented Philadelphia fans' reputation as the most amoral, loathsome collection in sports is famously called The Booing of Santa Claus. You would boo and throw snow balls too if Santa came out drunk in a half-done costume. Eagles' fans must deal with sports owners whose actions have not produced a champion in 25 years. The Eagles haven't hoisted a championship flag in 48 years, but the waiting list for season tickets is so long that you could sell out three stadiums full of Eagles fans for games.
This argument is ALWAYS BIASED. I lived in both Philly and Pittsburgh. If you took the percentage of "hardcore sports fans" in each, they are probably equal.

I don't listen to rankings from a media source. I mean what do they know?

Old 09-09-2008, 07:37 AM

I personally always find hardcore sports fans to be annoying.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:41 AM

Lets see, Philly's city population is almost 5 times Pittsburgh's, what didnt u understand. Lets say that 5% of a city's population would attend a baseball game. Statistically, a higher % people in Pittsburgh would attend a baseball game than Philly. Im not some chump that u can buffalo with stats! Im a blackbelt in MENTAL JUDO! And I can hang with the best of them. I dont remember Charley Daniels saying
" Lay your hand on a Philly Eagles fan". You got to be kidding if you're saying that STEELER fans aint up there with the best of them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania