Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite mid-sized Pennsylvania City?
Allentown 0 0%
Altoona 5 5.75%
Bethlehem 8 9.20%
Erie 18 20.69%
Harrisburg 12 13.79%
Lancaster 9 10.34%
Reading 5 5.75%
Scranton 6 6.90%
State College 16 18.39%
Wilkes-Barre 5 5.75%
York 3 3.45%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 10:10 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,935,362 times

Advertisements

But would State College be a good place for families to live? It seems that State College would be your average one-stoplight hick town in the middle of nowhere if it weren't for Penn State. And with how the entire town seems to revolve around PSU, I would think anyone who is older than college-age would not like living there....unless you like dealing with tons of drunk students all over town every night, and hideous traffic on football weekends, etc. Probably a fun place to go to college if you like the party scene, but I wouldn't want to live there with a family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 10:31 AM

13,248 posts, read 33,367,912 times
I agree with the other comments about State College, it's a unique town all about PSU. Bethlehem has two colleges within it's borders (Lehigh and Moravian) but has other attractions that make people want to live and visit there.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:24 PM

48 posts, read 183,147 times
It is interesting to see State College leading this poll, especially when compared to cities like Erie, Allentown, and Harrisburg.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:31 PM

955 posts, read 4,073,484 times
My wife grew up not far from Harrisburg - Lancaster, I've spent lots of time there -I lived in Allentown, I liked Allentown - I lived in Bethlehem, I liked Bethlehem - I live in Erie, I like Erie, but I voted for State College. I have 2 kids who graduated from PSU and I've spent lots of time there, its definitely my favorite PA city.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:10 PM

54 posts, read 147,630 times
Looks like Erie has a small lead...check out Erie Pennsylvania ...Feel the Lake Effect Erie is AMAZING! Erie is unknown to most of the rest of the state because we're so far AWAY! I've actually known people who were like...Erie? What's that? and they lived in PA their whole lives.

WE HAVE BEACHES....yeah the rest of the state just doesn't understand that.

Our beaches ALONE draw in more than 5 MILLION visitors a year, we have the EAST COASTS LARGEST indoor water park.

Outside of Philly we are the ONLY PA City with an NBA team, albeit it is in the Development league but that's ok!

Our wine country is just amazing and produces the best wine's.

Downtown is vibrant, and just like NYC and Chicago there is a huge arts presence...if you know the scene you'd find art and sculptings that would amaze you....most artists are reclusive so if you aren't savy you won't be privy!

Like some cities we have off-broadway and small orchestra's...however we also have the have BROADWAY show's at the Warner, and a FULL Philharmonic Orchestra.

Our Warner seats more than most theatres on BROADWAY in NYC!

Yeah our buildings aren't super tall even though I wish they were!
But there still great looking and NEW.

Look at Commercial Real Estate Information and Construction Data | Emporis.com and you'll find that Erie has the 5th tallest skyline in PA. We'd have more but we're not in the urban cluster which is eastern PA!! Ya'll suck off of Philly and think your unique! LOL funny.

Erie has made it on it's own, and has been looked over by the rest of the state, but that's why we're the cleanest city over 50,000 in PA and aren't hit as hard economically as the rest of the state.

We have a GMSA (greater marketing statistical area) of 800,000 people that's only three counties...ya'll pull from up to 5 counties and think 700,000 or 500,000 is alot.

Oh well, I love all of PA but respect Erie more because we've had to do this all alone.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:12 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,204,653 times
State College really isn't a city (it's an overgrown college town, and a nice one too), and should not be included on this list. It should be replaced by Johnstown and/or Williamsport.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:17 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,204,653 times
I grew up near Allentown and Bethlehem, lived near Harrisburg for nearly 8 years, have spent some time in Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Reading, Lancaster, York, and Altoona (and State College, which I'm excluding from consideration, see my post above), and have never been to Erie. Out of all those places, I'd rank Bethlehem the highest. As for my lowest-ranked, I'd put Altoona last, behind Reading and York.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:28 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,250,161 times
I've heard alot of positive things about Bethlehem. A matter of fact, they had zero homicides for the entire year of 2008! They must be doing something right. I've been through Bethlehem a handful of times, but I've never actually spent any amount of time there.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I grew up near Allentown and Bethlehem, lived near Harrisburg for nearly 8 years, have spent some time in Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Reading, Lancaster, York, and Altoona (and State College, which I'm excluding from consideration, see my post above), and have never been to Erie. Out of all those places, I'd rank Bethlehem the highest. As for my lowest-ranked, I'd put Altoona last, behind Reading and York.

You should definitely come on up to Erie this summer and check it out.

Message me if you do and I'll show you around, the only thing they don't do around here right is mark scenic sights and locations as well as I'd like so I wouldn't want you to miss anything....after you see Erie you'll definitely change your vote!

Old 01-10-2009, 10:35 AM

State College should definitely be removed from the survey, it isn't a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania