U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Wawa or Sheetz?
Wawa 67 52.76%
Sheetz 60 47.24%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 07:21 PM

884 posts, read 1,297,358 times
I was driving through Berks County -- where Wawa and Sheetz have stores close by each other -- last week and thought of this thread.

IMO, Sheetz is definitely winning this horse race, and Wawa is giving them a spirited run for 2nd place. And I still think almost all of the smaller Wawa stores in the close-in suburbs need a regular power washing of all the grime and motor oil in their parking lots, and a more frequent clean up of the overflowing trash cans.

Bonus reading: Since this thread got started, Philly Magazine, in August '11, did a feature article about Wawa: It's a Wawa World - Philadelphia Magazine - phillymag.com - It's an interesting read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 07:34 PM

10,031 posts, read 15,383,199 times
Number-wise, It looks like Wawa has more employees http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wawa_Inc.
Quote:
In 2006, Wawa ranked 63rd on the Forbes Magazine list of the largest private companies[9] but dropped to 64th on the 2007 list.[10] As of July 2009, Wawa employs 16,000 in 570 stores (210 offering gasoline) and had total revenues of $4.67 billion in 2007. It operates in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, and Florida.
and Sheetz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Sheetz now has locations across six states — Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio and North Carolina — and more than 11,000 employees. All Sheetz stores are company-owned-and-operated. The company has no plans to sell franchises

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:28 AM

1,439 posts, read 1,734,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkabouthis View Post
did I say that-I most certainly did. Can u handle the truth?
Yes, thank you for your shocking expose on pressing world issues. We are all truly impressed with your brash approach, and look forward to your insightful commentary on future societal concerns. Your daring approach to this particular issue will truly shock the bourgeois into outrage. You've certainly taught us all a thing or two.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:29 PM

8,590 posts, read 6,739,876 times
just be thankful you don't live in a state where this thread might be circle K or 7-11

Old 11-28-2011, 03:13 PM

1,128 posts, read 894,617 times
The wawa's that I have been to have been more similar to 7-11 than to Sheetz (the most recent one I was at was in Conshohocken PA). They have a small area in there to make the sandwiches, small gas station all together. I will admit that their food was amazing but I will go with the feel of sheetz overall. Btw has anyone tried the Sheetz on 51 in Pleasant Hills. I remember hearing that there is an actual dining area in that location

Old 11-29-2011, 06:48 AM

The newer Wawa's are huge and really nice. The older ones are more like 7-11's. My guess is that the older ones still probably do a large amount of business and are on properties that cannot expand. Wawa was started in Delaware County PA and I know the ones that are close to the town of Wawa itself are small and not so hot. We moved to Lehigh County about a dozen years ago and the Wawa's that opened within the last five years are night and day different then the ones we had (and are still open) in Delaware county.

In my immediate area, the competition to Wawa's is Turkey Hill, not Sheetz. If you look at this map Sheetz® Official Site :: Find a Sheetz Near You! You can see that Sheetz wisely avoided the very southeastern section of PA.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:00 AM

1,128 posts, read 894,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
The newer Wawa's are huge and really nice. The older ones are more like 7-11's. My guess is that the older ones still probably do a large amount of business and are on properties that cannot expand. Wawa was started in Delaware County PA and I know the ones that are close to the town of Wawa itself are small and not so hot. We moved to Lehigh County about a dozen years ago and the Wawa's that opened within the last five years are night and day different then the ones we had (and are still open) in Delaware county.

In my immediate area, the competition to Wawa's is Turkey Hill, not Sheetz. If you look at this map Sheetz® Official Site :: Find a Sheetz Near You! You can see that Sheetz wisely avoided the very southeastern section of PA.
I still say that they bleed into the Phily market way more than wawa does the Pittsburgh marker (I honestly wouldn't mind having a few wawa's around. That's where I had the best meatball sub in my life) Another store that is beginning to make it's way into the Pittsburgh area is Giant (they own a store in Connellsville which is about an hour away) so nothing is impossible

Old 11-29-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
I still say that they bleed into the Phily market way more than wawa does the Pittsburgh marker (I honestly wouldn't mind having a few wawa's around. That's where I had the best meatball sub in my life) Another store that is beginning to make it's way into the Pittsburgh area is Giant (they own a store in Connellsville which is about an hour away) so nothing is impossible
Just looking at the map on the above link, I don't see any Sheetz at all in the Philadelphia suburbs or even Philadelphia itself. In the Lehigh Valley there are less then a handful. A quick scan here - Sheetz® Official Site :: Find a Sheetz Near You! and I see mostly towns in the center of the state and west.

Realtors, See This.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:53 AM

884 posts, read 1,297,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Just looking at the map on the above link, I don't see any Sheetz at all in the Philadelphia suburbs or even Philadelphia itself. In the Lehigh Valley there are less then a handful. A quick scan here - Sheetz® Official Site :: Find a Sheetz Near You! and I see mostly towns in the center of the state and west.
From nothing more than driving around, I can say the nearest Sheetz to the southeastern part of PA is in Berks County, (on Rt 422 between Douglasville and Exeter).

Old 11-29-2011, 01:26 PM

8,590 posts, read 6,739,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
The wawa's that I have been to have been more similar to 7-11 than to Sheetz (the most recent one I was at was in Conshohocken PA). They have a small area in there to make the sandwiches, small gas station all together. I will admit that their food was amazing but I will go with the feel of sheetz overall. Btw has anyone tried the Sheetz on 51 in Pleasant Hills. I remember hearing that there is an actual dining area in that location
conshohocken is an older wawa with little room to expand. sstill, it has little in common with 7-11 which doesn't make sandwiches to order. in a bygone era, high volume wawa's had a grill so they could make cheesesteaks and such. over time they standardized everything. once the slip ramp to 29 is open you can use that wawa which is a lot more similar to the sheetz in breezewood, for better or worse. I give the slight edge to sheetz personally but wawa is certainly nothing like 7-11...except that it's a convenience store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania