Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2008, 08:16 PM

13 posts, read 51,133 times

Advertisements

My husband is exploring a job opportunity in Johnstown. I am concerned how my family with elementary school age children would be accepted into the community. We are Black and from the South. We moved to a small community in Texas and our experience here has taught me to research, research, research before determining to move again.

We would like to live in a safe, diverse place and are willing to commute if it is better for us to live closer to Pittsburgh.

Though our experience with a small town is not all bad, we know how it feels to be treated like outsiders. Some of the posts I have read on the other forums lead me to believe that I could be repeating history. However, none of them spoke to diversity in the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 08:41 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
I have never even tried to determine before hand how well I will be accepted somewhere. If the conditions are right, I go. Just because there is a mix of people is no guarantee they will be nice to you. People dislike each other for all sorts of reasons. I don't have time to worry about it. If they are not torching my house I am happy.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:07 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,451 times
I was born and raised in Johnstown and have lived here all my life. I'll try and give you honest answers to your question(s).

Diversity-- I take this to ask if there's a mix of or a presence of different races. Yes, there are. Johnstown is racially mixed, mostly whites and blacks, with some asians, indian/afghan/pakistani and fewer hispanic. We celebrate cultural and ethnic heritage -- see The Bottle Works Ethnic Arts Center and Johnstown Heritage Discovery Center (broken link)

Let me state clearly that most of the diversity is within the greater Johnstown area (the city and it's surrounding neighbors - see attachments). Once you get outside the greater Johnstown area, it's mostly whites and it remains like that most of the way to Pittsburgh, except for possibly Indiana (due to IUP) and Greensburg.

With your question about diversity and worrying about being accepted, I wonder if you are worried about prejudice or bigotry towards you and your family. I don't believe that would be an issue. Now, I am white so I don't know if my view of prejudice is completely accurate and I can only speak from my experiences and my observations, but I feel comfortable stating there is very little of that here. I can't say none, because there are always a few who are ignorant and such, but it's not a widespread issue. I'm comfortable saying this as well because my brother-in-law is black and is originally from NYC (Bronx) and has had no issue since moving here with my sister 10 years ago. They also have two children, one just graduated and one's in 10th grade both in the Gr. Johnstown School District. Johnstown is fairly well mixed. I've lived in several neighborhoods through the years and can say the city, along with the surrounding townships, is friendly and welcoming. They are more concerned with the type of person someone is - good worker, community oriented, friendly, helpful, etc. - rather than the color of their skin.

Johnstown is not what I would call a small town. As mentioned in other threads here, the city proper has a population of ~ 23,000 and if you included the neighboring twps, it grows to ~ 50,000. So I'd say we're mid-sized, with a small-town feel. We have our own TV station, hockey team, symphony orchestra, and the largest branch of the University of Pittsburgh's satellite campuses - UPJ. There are outdoor activities as well. Our town has a lot to offer.

Of course, as you've probably already read elsewhere, our economy is depressed and there are certain parts of town that are worse than others, just like many other cities. Overall, I'm glad I live here. I love my hometown and I'm glad I'm raising my children here. It's friendly and safe.

If I've overstepped my bounds, please let me know. I could be way off target about your inquiry. If I am, I apologize. It was just the feeling I got from the way your post was worded. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have. Also, there's a thread here I started with pictures of downtown you might like to check out so do a search and let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails
Diversity in Johnstown?-cambria-county.jpg   Diversity in Johnstown?-johnstown-neighbors.jpg  

Old 09-10-2008, 09:28 PM

629 posts, read 901,081 times
Mams, no offense, but 23,000 aint SMALL? Metro area 50,000 aint small? People from them sized cities get erections when they hear Wal MART is coming to their city. I aint trying to offend u either. But, u did say town instead of city. So maybe as far as towns go. Anything over 10,000 people, I believe they consider a city, maybe I'm wrong though. But if a city dont have pro sports teams, i consider them towns.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:01 PM

No offense taken. I guess it's just one's perspective. I consider SMALL under 10,000 .. like the many itty-bitty, teeny-tiny towns that dot the landscape throughout rural PA (and elsewhere). That's just me. I did qualify it as "mid-sized" though . I know others who qualify mid-sized as ~ 100,000. I suppose it's a relative term. It depends on the OPs idea of what a small town is.

Johnstown is still classified as a 3rd class city with a population =/>10,000 and < 250,000 -- and has a lot of company . Less than 10,000 = a borough.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:26 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,964,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post

Johnstown is still classified as a 3rd class city with a population =/>10,000 and < 250,000 -- and has a lot of company . Less than 10,000 = a borough.

I'm not sure the population always matters in whether a place is classified as a city or a borough. State College is a borough, yet it has a population of over 30,000. Also here around Scranton, Carbondale is a city, yet it has a population of 9,000...and Dunmore is a borough, yet its population is around 14,000.

I'm not sure what the rules are, if any, in PA about whether a town is a borough or a city. And then there's always Bloomsburg, which is classified as a "town." Which is why their slogan is "the only town in Pennsylvania." Allright, enough of my useless information......

Old 09-11-2008, 07:04 AM

Well, for what it's worth I got the guidelines here http://www.lgc.state.pa.us/deskbook0...hey_Change.pdf But as you know, they don't always follow the procedures, do they.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:12 AM

518 posts, read 2,531,166 times
i do not consider johnstown a small town. i've been there many times, and I'd say its a large town/small city. it definately has a more urban feel than any other town in the area between pittsburgh and altoona

Old 09-23-2008, 07:27 AM

13 posts, read 51,133 times
Thank you for your response. I appreciate your honesty. I am not sure where we stand currently on the job situation, however, this info definitely helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania