Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 09:32 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times

Advertisements

I currently have a sand mound. Hate it.... It still works just fine but I was wondering if anyone had any info on alternatives to a sand mound?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 06:28 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times
Does the community you live in offer central sewer that you can tap into? If not, you need an on lot system. Before it was installed, a perc test was done, and yours did not pass, that is why a septic system was designed for your lot. this first link is from the Dpt. Environmental Protection, PA
Onlot Sewage Program - Home Buyer's / Builders Guide

Here is a link the explains the types of septic systems available today.
Septic System Design

and info about maintaining your system
Onlot System Operation and Maintenance

good luck!

ps...if you ever do remove your sand mound, be sure to get the proper permits...it is an issue of environmental concern to dismantle a septic system.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:31 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
Good post Poconoproud, very informative.

I can tell you that the septic laws in Dingmans are changing and from little what I have read from the papers, it will be a cost to the homeowner. Something to keep in mind before you buy.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 32,036 times
What I am trying to find out is....if there is a law that says you have to have your septic system pumped every 6 years or so. We live in a rural area in a township where there is a municipal sewer system in the town itself, but we are not included in that, but are told that it is a state law that we heave to have our tank pumped every 6 years. Trying to find out if that is true.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:32 PM

681 posts, read 1,206,223 times
I didn't find a specific law, but there is good info here:

http://www.age.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/f/F161.pdf (broken link)

Old 10-12-2010, 05:17 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy Boatman View Post
What I am trying to find out is....if there is a law that says you have to have your septic system pumped every 6 years or so. We live in a rural area in a township where there is a municipal sewer system in the town itself, but we are not included in that, but are told that it is a state law that we heave to have our tank pumped every 6 years. Trying to find out if that is true.
There is a state law (Act 537 of 1966) that requires each municipality to have a curent sewage facilities plan, often referred to as "Act 537" plans. "Sewage facilities" means not only the central sewers but also on-lot aka septic systems.

Within the last 10 years or so, DEP has generally not approved such plans for rural municipalities that don't call for some sort of mandatory inspection and pumping. It would be interesting to see where your municipality falls on this list: Act 537 Official Plans Aging - home and test my supposition regarding a date since 2000.

The model ordinance the state suggests calls for a 3-year mandatory pumping interval so somebody representing your township counter-proposed fairly hard to get a 6-year interval accepted.

The short answer is, yes this is a state policy mandate, but implemented by local municipal ordinance and the details of those ordinances vary.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:26 PM

513 posts, read 1,079,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy Boatman View Post
Six years is a long time between pumpings, and a pumping only costs about $250. Cheap insurance, usually recommended every 2-3 years.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:25 PM

177 posts, read 466,708 times
Heck, I have an old cesspool on my property that was grandfathered in years ago. If you don't know what a cesspool is, it is nothing but a hole in the ground lined with rocks. I've lived here for over 15 years...never had it pumped once, and have never had a problem. I had it inspected when I moved in by a company (a honeypot company). At that time, the guy who inspected it said the old cesspools are far superior and would probably outlive me.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:38 PM

76 posts, read 230,475 times
Some of the newer septic treatment units (like aerobic systems) actually process the septic mass so thoroughly that you can pump the effluent into a sprinkler system and use it to water your lawn. I have an aerobic system - was required to install one by my HOA. Unfortunately, the local septic enforcement officer still wanted me to pump to a sand mound. As a result, I'm obligated to install a much costlier system and still have a big ol' sand mound taking up space on my property. Oh well...*hit happens. (pardon the pun.)

Old 10-13-2010, 07:48 PM

99 posts, read 234,992 times
Wow, 6 years seems like a short interval to me. Seems like growing up, my parents was only ever pumped once, when I was 8 or 9. Maybe it was old enough that it's a very large or efficient system?

And what about vacation homes? If you're only here and using it a few weekends a year, I don't think you'd fill it in 20 years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania