U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-17-2008, 06:12 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,033,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
I'm sorry, but give me a break! This is outlandish, completely and utterly outlandish! How can you say that, seriously? It is OUTDOORS. And frankly, they shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.

Yes, but how many of these smokers who smoke "outdoors" stand right next to building entrances puffing away, forcing people to walk through a cloud of cancerous smoke to get into the building? Also, what about all of the butts the slobs leave all over the ground? Maybe if smokers had been more considerate in keeping their addiction away from others, there wouldn't be such a crusade against smokers now.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Un-friggin-believable! This is infringing on their individual rights. I don't see how the state run campuses can get away with this. It's not just IUP, it's every single state run school.
There's no smoking in state office buildings, so why should state colleges be any different?
Taking a page from the smokers' arguments....if you don't like the lack of smoking, you're not forced to go to one of the state colleges, you can always choose to go somewhere else.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:16 AM

Quote:
As I light up Yoi! Double Yoi! What else would you like to impose upon the American people? Haha

Well, I'm sick of you filthy smokers imposing your cancerous smelly fumes and your litter on the American people. Go choke on your cigarette smoke in private!

Old 09-17-2008, 06:35 AM

2,486 posts, read 876,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Well, I'm sick of you filthy smokers imposing your cancerous smelly fumes and your litter on the American people. Go choke on your cigarette smoke in private!
Dude, seriously just seriously...

As an ex-smoker, I am with the smokers on this. You can't push your non-smoking ideals on other people. YOu seem like Rob Reiner in that South Park episode with the non smokers.

You don't walk through smokey haze when you are outside. I HATED these type of people: The ones that do fake coughs, or wave their hands around their nose when they walk by somebody smoking. Those people are more annoying than anything ever.

You are not going to get cancer from second hand smoke, and that even being living with somebody smoking. Jesus, these people who feel that it is a threat to their health walking by somebody smoking are just not that bright. Pollution in the air is 1000 times worse for you in just a day than all the cigarette smoke you breath in just walking past somebody through your entire life.

Once you start forcing your non-smoking habits on society, it makes you a fascist. You know, the people our grandfathers generation died fighting to make it our right to chose what we want to do.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:56 PM

2,197 posts, read 3,762,413 times
Quote:
There's no smoking in state office buildings, so why should state colleges be any different?
Taking a page from the smokers' arguments....if you don't like the lack of smoking, you're not forced to go to one of the state colleges, you can always choose to go somewhere else.
In office buildings. That's fine, that's been in place for well over a decade. Outdoors is just ludicrous!

And as Awesomo stated, this is fascism. It's been proven that many so called reports and facts on second hand smoke have been illegally altered to push political agendas This country really is sad anymore, for many reasons, not just this topic.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm sick of people that can't control their B.O., or wear so much perfume or cologne it's over powering

Old 09-19-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Well, I'm sick of people that can't control their B.O., or wear so much perfume or cologne it's over powering

I agree with that too.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I agree with that too.
Haha, seriously, funny!

But you don't see laws being passed banning that, now do ya?

Old 09-19-2008, 09:45 AM

Along with free nicotine gum/patches, they should be handing out free bars of soap and reminding people that "a little goes a long way" with cologne/perfume. We have a few people in my office that wear so much perfume that you can barely breathe.

Honestly, I think all the money collected from cigarette taxes should go to helping people quit smoking, as opposed to going into the state's general fund for the politicians to pi$$ away. At least New York City does that with its cigarette tax money....they give out free stop-smoking aids like patches and gum to anyone who wants them. PA just uses the tax money for the politicians to give to their cronies.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Along with free nicotine gum/patches, they should be handing out free bars of soap and reminding people that "a little goes a long way" with cologne/perfume. We have a few people in my office that wear so much perfume that you can barely breathe.

Honestly, I think all the money collected from cigarette taxes should go to helping people quit smoking, as opposed to going into the state's general fund for the politicians to pi$$ away. At least New York City does that with its cigarette tax money....they give out free stop-smoking aids like patches and gum to anyone who wants them. PA just uses the tax money for the politicians to give to their cronies.
I can agree with you on that point. But people have to understand if they snuff out smoking all together, like they're starting to attempt to do, there won't be the huge tax revenue they get from it. Then what are they going to do? Increase taxes on other services and items. That then will more than likely be a tax on something everyone uses/does, then everyone will be griping.

And seriously, it's been proven that many facts on second hand smoke have been altered to get political agendas passed. I understand you and many others really despise smoking, and I try to be as courteous as possible to you folks(I have a few close friends that are really against it), but it just simply isn't right in the way in which these bills are getting passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania