U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 08:17 AM

11,057 posts, read 7,836,050 times
Here's my list: New Jerseyians and New Yorkers( NYC mostly) moving in and wrecking the place by driving up crime, lowering school test scores, not speaking english (at all) and generally complaining that Pa isn't as good as they'd hoped it would be or was back home. Pa was great until you moved here!
New Jerseyians making people hate Pennsylvanians because they think they're from here.
People that can't drive or use turn signals or see other cars on the road. Generally the closer you get to Jersey the worse it gets.
Sports teams. We have the best fans anywhere, except maybe for Greenbay, fans that rabidly support mediocre teams and team owners that only care about money. I'd like to have a championship team that doesn't win by sheer luck more than once every 20 or 30 years. Eagles, Steelers, Pirates, Phillies, Penguins, Sixers, these teams need to be managed and coached way better.
Except for College football, there Penn State is No.1.
Anytime I think Pa's politics is bad I just think about New Jersey and New York. Now there are some very backward states!

Old 09-23-2008, 09:03 AM

2,784 posts, read 4,356,608 times
Um the Philadelphia sports teams (with the Sixers being the exception until recently) are managed fine...

Old 09-23-2008, 01:12 PM

5,299 posts, read 1,859,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
Why don't you mind your own business and not worry about the other posters? Can you even read a thread title? It's what you hate about PA, not "Oh me like PA, me bash poster". There's an evident lack of reading comprehension in this thread. I presume we can attribute this to PA's substandard school system.

Thanks for all the personal attention, you must look up to me like a role model if "y'all" are giving me all this attention, but this thread's intention was not to make everyone attack me unfairly.
Disclamer: Even though rooster and I share many of the same thoughts,we are not the same person,lest anyone think differently

Old 09-23-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Most PA lifers complain about PA the way lifers of other states complain about things in their states.
Can I quote you on that?
Btw...lifers? Sounds a bit like prison eh?

Old 09-23-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Here's my list: New Jerseyians and New Yorkers( NYC mostly) moving in and wrecking the place by driving up crime, lowering school test scores, not speaking english (at all) and generally complaining that Pa isn't as good as they'd hoped it would be or was back home. Pa was great until you moved here!
You must be a native Pennsylvanian
Lowering test scores? Pennsylvanians can do that themselves thank you...NJ & NY aren't the ones with some of the worst schools in the nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;5385244
Sports teams. We have the best fans anywhere, except maybe for Greenbay, fans that rabidly support mediocre teams and team owners that only care about money. I'd like to have a championship team that doesn't win by sheer luck more than once every 20 or 30 years. Eagles, Steelers, Pirates, Phillies, Penguins, Sixers, these teams need to be managed and coached way better.
Except for College football, there Penn State is No.1.
Once again the pot calling the kettle black...
Rabidly supporting teams and only caring about money...sounds like any given Sunday here on the streetcorners of Philly where they act like their life depends on a game...which it usually does if everyone doesn't pay their bookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;5385244
Anytime I think Pa's politics is bad I just think about New Jersey and New York. Now there are some very backward states!
You mean forward,you're looking in the backwards PA mirror again

Old 09-23-2008, 01:39 PM

2,325 posts, read 3,168,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
I'm not in PA. And if you are lookin to pick a fight, kid, try the political forum. Don't bring that stuff in here.
Whatever you say, Rooster/Stuck PA .You started a negative thread, I responded. Did you expect me to jump on your "I hate Pennsylvania" bandwagon and agree with you? Besides why are you griping about how bad PA is if you don't even live here? You sound like the type of person that is unhappy no matter where they go.

Last edited by Gil3; 09-23-2008 at 02:37 PM..

Old 09-23-2008, 02:52 PM

160 posts, read 394,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Now, I'm not from Central PA, nor do I ever care to live there, but why would you say that it is a cultural wasteland? Because you don't like the culture?
I'm not from central PA either, but I've lived in the area since 1990. First in Juniata County and now in the Harrisburg area (East Shore).

I became an antiques dealer in the early 1990s and got to see a lot of homes and meet a lot of people throughout central PA before moving to Harrisburg. Strange as this sounds, there was lots more (of interest to me) to do in the small towns and rural areas. While there was a bit of rural anti-outsider attitude, I did meet many awesome, salt-of-the-earth, people. Who were, oddly enough, a lot like the folks I grew up with in New Jersey. It's not simply an urban vs. rural thing.

Looking at the schedule of events at the Farm Show every year, other than those related to the Department of Agriculture most seem to be oddly gender segregated in terms of appeal. And, yeah, I don't dig gun shows, home schooling, cheerleading, or monster trucks. I am neither a recreational Hallmark Holiday shopper or a recreational eater.

Harrisburg has some cool old buildings and the area actually has some fascinating history (albeit obscure). If anyone is doing anything that celebrates what is unique and interesting about the area, they are keeping it for a selected audience. If I stay in the area, I am thinking about doing a website (for starters) on the cool stuff I think has been overlooked.

The Arts scene seems rather generic if not unpleasantly odd. Like bashing up an old piano???? Yawn. Not for me, thanks.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:32 PM

469 posts, read 950,173 times
[quote=BackToTheCityMouse;5391250]
If I stay in the area, I am thinking about doing a website (for starters) on the cool stuff I think has been overlooked.
quote]

That would be great for those of us who are moving to PA someday.
Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-23-2008, 04:33 PM

I've actually already started a website about this area...actually it's just blogging now,but I've even started compiling articles etc for a possible book when I get out of here

Old 09-23-2008, 05:09 PM

2,784 posts, read 4,356,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I've actually already started a website about this area...actually it's just blogging now,but I've even started compiling articles etc for a possible book when I get out of here
Why are you here? Where are you from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania