Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 10:38 AM

641 posts, read 2,363,415 times

Advertisements

Someone should make this thread. What do you hate about PA that makes you not wanna live there? This is a helpful thread, so any PA lovers that object please do not troll the thread. Anyone considering moving to PA should also check my list.

Here's my list:

-Bad roads
-EMS tax
-Rude People
-Philadelphia
-Low wages in relation to Cost of living
-Intolerance and racism
-Lack of sophistication outside the city
-Urban decay
-Old people
-Slow drivers
-Hillbillies
-Rediculously hot summers
-Denial
-Too many country stations
-Everything is an act of congress
-Eddy Rendufus(Corrupt gov't)
-Rediculous taxes(Townships and municipalities, and everything else)
-Bushlovers
-Jersey'ites and New Yahkers driving up the price of real estate
-Lack of nightlife
-Outdated liquor laws.
-Have to work 2 jobs to make ends meet

What do you hate about the state? PA lovers can post too, but only if they have something they dislike about the state.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:03 AM

248 posts, read 794,169 times
the roads are the worst. i used to live in upstate NY and the second you crossed the state line you KNEW it.

liquor laws are ridiculous

so many depressed little coal towns. makes me sad (dont really hate them)

that is really it. i love pa for the most part!

Old 09-21-2008, 12:15 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,600,452 times
nocturnalrooster is a well known troll on these boards, best to just ignore him.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:23 PM

248 posts, read 794,169 times
gotcha!

he sure has a lot of rep, tho!

Old 09-21-2008, 01:06 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,572,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
Someone should make this thread.
]What do you hate about the state? PA lovers can post too, but only if they have something they dislike about the state.
Roads..........Our roads are no worse then ones found in other states,
and they do a wonderful plowing job here in the winters.

Summers......Some complain about hot, I say........hot is what you want
for swimming and boating.....great picnics, and lots of outdoor fun.

Country Music........I loved Country Music in NJ and I love it the same in PA. Most music is good for the soul......

Taxes..........Unless one moved to DE or SC, taxes are not fun for any of us. We're all in big taxing states, and none of us like it..........

Down to Earth people are always fun to be around in PA.

Many town governments are full of politics and banter....you don't have to live in PA for that, its all over.

Everyone will get old oneday.....respect the old.......you'll be there too.

Booze.......I'm sure there is enough hours, and enough time, to stock up on ones booze. That is a non-issue.

Slow drivers are in all states........another nationwide problem.

All in all I have no issues with PA. My heart is full with its people, places, and all there is to do here.
Please use your search area, at the headings, to find all there is to so and see in our state.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:22 PM

142 posts, read 405,086 times
This post made me laugh because its so far out there. I think the only problem PA has is having people like the OP who sit and b*tch about it yet they still live here. PA is a lot nicer than a lot of other places and i have no problems here. Your comments are mostly false, so for a newcommer please dont listin to this bs. Im not saying its perfect here everywere has its problems. But all in all this is a good place to live.

Heres the truth...

Roads- All states have bad roads, ive seen some that have a lot worse roads than us.
Taxes- every state has them, and they are a lot higher in other places like SC were your taxed on food, cloths, and a lot mores taken out of your pay.

Rude people- weird i think PA has the most friendly down to earth people in the world, but then again we might be rude to someone like yourself who insults us.

Philidelphia- Yes it may not be the nicest place on earth, and it has some very rough areas...but what big city doesent?

Low wages/high cost of living- are you kidding me? Go down south if you want to see low wages...ours are not low at all, and cost of living...western PA has some of the cheapest cost of living in america.

Racism- Again something that is everywere...not just a PA thing.

Lack of sophistication outside city- are you joking? Fox chapel, Sewickley heights, Cranberry just to name a few...PA is a pretty wealthy state.

Urban decay- happens in every city

Old people- are you serious? werent you just complaining about intolerence and discrimanation here? Are you contradicting yourself? As for old people...they dont bother me, and i didnt know that old people didnt live in every other state...they are in every state, and dont bother anyone so what makes you hate them so bad?

Slow drivers- Pittsburgh was voted most friendly drivers in america, and the whole state has pretty good drivers compared to other places...i would say PA has some of the best drivers.

Hillbillies- you sound like one from your way of thinking, and untrue comments.

Hot summers- i really couldnt believe this one...are you being serious? Take a trip to Arizona, Nevada, Florida, or the 80 percent of the country thats south of PA...our summers are nice, not to hot..usualy low to mid 80s. I dont think i have ever heard this complaint from anyone...maybe you should move to Alaska

Country music- i listen to it, i like it, people all over the country like it and listen to it...just because you dont doesent mean the whole state should ban country music...there is plenty of other stations that you can listen to.

Ed Rendell- a very good governer whos done A LOT for this state...better than the last jacka** we had pinnaple face Tommy Ridge hes the one who screwed this state up while he was in office...

Bushlovers- not sure what you mean by that? If your talking about George...this is Democrat country and hes not to well liked in most parts of the state.

Lack of nightlife- Pittsburgh has a lot of nightlife, and so does philly. You can find something to do almost anywere if you look.

Outdated liquar laws- If it effects you that much that it makes you hate the state then you might have yourself a drinking problem.

Working 2 jobs- I work one, and make pretty good money. Unless you work at Mcdonalds, and Burger king and live in a wealthy area...i dont understand how you can complain about wages here...we have higher wages than most states.

One way to improve this state is for people like yourself to move.

Last edited by Steelers115; 09-21-2008 at 02:36 PM..

Old 09-21-2008, 02:43 PM

12,527 posts, read 17,435,340 times
Love the State, hate Mr. Rendall.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:28 PM

641 posts, read 2,363,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
nocturnalrooster is a well known troll on these boards, best to just ignore him.
Now now be civil. I think you're the bigger troll in here right now. You blatantely went against my wishes to not troll, as well as several others.

Steelers115, the point of this thread was to list the pitfalls of living in PA, not debating people on their listed pitfalls. If you are looking for a debate, go to the politics forum. And plus, I don't live in PA anymore, so that is a moot point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowbaby
gotcha!

he sure has a lot of rep, tho!
If I was a troll, do you really think I would have a triple digit rep already?

I know everybody has taxes, and I know roads suck everywhere, but those things are especially bad in PA. And some of you are not helping your argument that people are not mean in PA by rabidly attacking the OP. Now please, just list what you dislike about PA specifically, and stop arguing with me. I'm a lover, not a hater. This is a thread for those that are considering moving to PA to consider.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:21 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,430,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
-Bad roads
-Rude People
-Philadelphia
-Intolerance and racism
-Lack of sophistication outside the city
-Urban decay
-Old people
-Slow drivers
-Rediculously hot summers
-Denial
-Too many country stations
-Everything is an act of congress
-Eddy Rendufus(Corrupt gov't)
-Bushlovers
-Jersey'ites and New Yahkers driving up the price of real estate
-Lack of nightlife
-Outdated liquor laws.
-Have to work 2 jobs to make ends meet
I agree with most of what you listed,and yea the summers are kinda wet here,although in parts of the state like the Poconos it's a little cooler.

Too many country stations? I don't know where you live but we got one(1)within like 50 miles of Philadelphia,and believe it or not once you get outside the city limits(and sometimes even in the fringe neighborhoods)you get alotta rednecks or hillbillies(Phillbillies as I call em) so you'd think there'd be more stations. But from what I've seen,between shooting off their mouths and all the mummers hullabaloo,those people are usually too busy making their own noise to just shut up and listen to the radio

The congress thing I don't get as this is a commonwealth state and the hillbillies can pretty much make their own laws,such as the liquor laws you mentioned. Although I think those laws,as well as the state pretty much closing up at 6pm is the work of those freaky founding quakers

And working 2 jobs? Heh,that's a Jersey thing...you can barely get these podunks to do one job right

Old 09-21-2008, 05:19 PM

259 posts, read 848,635 times
HUMIDITY! I wouldn't say the summer's are hot it's just so damn humid. I'm way too used to the dry heat of the plains. It is way hotter on the plains.

65mph speed limit. It's 75 out in SD....love it!

Turnpike! That goes for Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio too, but especially PA. Way more expensive in PA. Actually planning on going I-80 to 15 to avoid paying the toll.....and to stop at Sheetz in Lewisburg or Turkey Hill if there's one.

Not being able to buy alcohol in Walmart or the corner gas station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania