Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who Are You Voting For On Election Day?
Sen. John McCain (R) 51 35.92%
Sen. Barack Obama (D) 74 52.11%
Other 6 4.23%
Undecided 6 4.23%
I'm Not Voting 5 3.52%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 08:20 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,316 times

Advertisements

1. Small main street businesses would be forced to pay tax rates as high as 62.3% under Senator Obama’s tax proposals.
  2. Senator Obama’s tax plan would tax small businesses at a higher rate than large corporations!
  3. Taxes on retirement income and savings could increase by at least 33%, hitting millions of seniors when they need these resources the most.
  4. 4 million workers over the age of 50 – those eagerly looking forward to retirement – would be hit with increased tax bills.
  5. Millions of Americans would only keep 38 cents of every dollar that they earn.
  6. Senator Obama’s tax plan would reduce the after tax wages of millions of workers by 17.7%.
  7. It will take 227 days per year, nearly 8 months, just to pay your tax bill!
  8. Senator Obama's plan will increase the Capital Gains Tax.
  9. 97,065 carpenters, 110,908 police officers, 254,992 nurses, 208,562 postsecondary teachers and 237,000 dentists would see tax increases, if the earnings cap was successfully eliminated.
  10. 10.3 million workers would see an average of $5,650 taken from their paycheck and given to government programs.
  11. Even YOU might be considered Rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 08:35 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,931,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
  1. Small main street businesses would be forced to pay tax rates as high as 62.3% under Senator Obama’s tax proposals.
  2. Senator Obama’s tax plan would tax small businesses at a higher rate than large corporations!
  3. Taxes on retirement income and savings could increase by at least 33%, hitting millions of seniors when they need these resources the most.
  4. 4 million workers over the age of 50 – those eagerly looking forward to retirement – would be hit with increased tax bills.
  5. Millions of Americans would only keep 38 cents of every dollar that they earn.
  6. Senator Obama’s tax plan would reduce the after tax wages of millions of workers by 17.7%.
  9. 97,065 carpenters, 110,908 police officers, 254,992 nurses, 208,562 postsecondary teachers and 237,000 dentists would see tax increases, if the earnings cap was successfully eliminated.
  10. 10.3 million workers would see an average of $5,650 taken from their paycheck and given to government programs.
Can you please provide links for all information shown like this?

Thanks.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:47 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Some of my daily sites to check the spin are: FactCheck.org and this one: Urban Legends Reference Pages - if you look on the left side of this one, you will see rumors categorized by name. This one by CNN is also bi-partisan: Your Money: McCain vs. Obama - Issue #1: Election 2008 (1) - CNNMoney.com

I think it's important on this thread if we site our sources. Also, let's all stick to the terms of service, which means we can disagree with a posters ideas but not attack the poster him/her self.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:51 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
All of these statistics come off as dubious, not to mention there's no source provided. I'm more inclined to look at a side by side comparison:

"In the first detailed analysis of the Barack Obama and John McCain tax plans, the Tax Policy Center has run their proposals through the Big Computer and discovered that their schemes are, well, painfully predictable. Each would raise the national debt by trillions of dollars. Obama would use the money to provide modest tax cuts to low- and moderate-income people while imposing stiff tax hikes on the very wealthy. McCain would cut taxes a bit for the working-class and a lot for the rich.

Obama, who casts himself as an out-of-the box, post-partisan politician, has put together a fairly conventional Democratic tax plan. Despite McCain’s recent claim that Obama would raise taxes for all, it turns out that middle-class families would do better under Obama (who would cut their taxes by $1000 in 2009) than McCain (who would cut them by only $300). Obama’s generosity comes at a price, however, He’d raise the national debt by a staggering $3.3 trillion over the next decade, and that includes more than $900 billion in promised revenue raisers that TPC could not verify.

McCain, who once opposed President Bush’s 2001 and 2003 tax cut as a give-away to the rich, but now embraces them, has designed a plan more consistent with the New McCain than the old. It is as Republican a plan as Obama’s is Democratic. The top 20% of taxpayers get a 3% reduction in after-tax income in 2009, while the lowest-earning 60% would get less than 1%."

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/Uploa...teTaxPlans.pdf

Sorry, but no matter how you slice it, McCain is not middle-class friendly.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
Can you please provide links for all information shown like this?

Thanks.
Right wing, but very well thought out sight, not your typical

www.rightchange.com - Home (http://rightchange.com/issues.php - broken link)

I saw your original post

Old 09-29-2008, 09:10 AM

Default Missouri Governor's stern words for Obama and his truth squad

Gov. Blunt Statement on Obama Campaign’s Abusive Use of Missouri Law Enforcement

JEFFERSON CITY - Gov. Matt Blunt today issued the following statement on news reports that have exposed plans by U.S. Senator Barack Obama to use Missouri law enforcement to threaten and intimidate his critics.
“St. Louis County Circuit Attorney Bob McCulloch, St. Louis City Circuit Attorney Jennifer Joyce, Jefferson County Sheriff Glenn Boyer, and Obama and the leader of his Missouri campaign Senator Claire McCaskill have attached the stench of police state tactics to the Obama-Biden campaign.

State of Missouri-Governor's Press Announcements - 2008 (http://governor.mo.gov/cgi-bin/coranto/viewnews.cgi?id=EkkkVFulkpOzXqGMaj&style=Default+N ews+Style&tmpl=newsitem - broken link)

Old 09-29-2008, 09:11 AM

Default Obama's link to ACORN

ACORN - The Big Picture

I'm telling ya, this guy is scary

Old 09-29-2008, 03:40 PM

142 posts, read 406,457 times
Here is a fact...http://www.aflcio.org/issues/politics/mccain_wrights.cfm (broken link)

If you dont agree with slavery, and having no rights then vote for Mccain. Very big issue with me, republicans have always been for this BS. This is the kind of sh*t that shut most of the mills in Pittsburgh down, and they moved down south were they get away with paying people 8 dollars an hour, and not giving them benefits. Keep Pennsylvania free, if we make this a federal law i am moving to Canada. Wont have to worry about healthcare up there either.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:27 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers115 View Post
Here is a fact...John McCain Revealed: Workers Rights (http://www.aflcio.org/issues/politics/mccain_wrights.cfm - broken link)

If you dont agree with slavery, and having no rights then vote for Mccain. Very big issue with me, republicans have always been for this BS. This is the kind of sh*t that shut most of the mills in Pittsburgh down, and they moved down south were they get away with paying people 8 dollars an hour, and not giving them benefits. Keep Pennsylvania free, if we make this a federal law i am moving to Canada. Wont have to worry about healthcare up there either.
Yeah the AFLCIO is a real nonpartisan organization.

I don't support them and I would be in favor of most of the bills cited as McCain voting for.

Unions are another layer of bureaucracy, corruption and criminal behavior that are a drag on our economy. The quicker we purge them from our system the better for all.

You will have to worry about healthcare in Canada. I have known several Canadian doctors over the years and health care is rationed. Getting an MRI which is simple here in the states, is a long and sometimes fatal for some, wait. Many Canadians come here to get life saving cancer treatment. Often the wait for surgery is 8 months. It's bad news up there. I encourage you to move there so you can experience it yourself.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:38 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post

You will have to worry about healthcare in Canada. I have known several Canadian doctors over the years and health care is rationed. Getting an MRI which is simple here in the states, is a long and sometimes fatal for some, wait. Many Canadians come here to get life saving cancer treatment. Often the wait for surgery is 8 months. It's bad news up there. I encourage you to move there so you can experience it yourself.
I'm really tired of hearing this "universal healthcare is evil" mantra. It's completely unfounded and perpetuated by Republicans who work on behalf of HMOs, whose primary goal is to do everything in their power to provide as little care to their customers as possible. I know people dismiss him as biased, but Michael Moore's "Sicko" raises some very important points about the state of American healthcare. For example, based on World Health Organization rankings, the U.S. is 37th. That's right behind Costa Rica:

The World Health Organization's ranking of the world's health systems

Canada may not be the best example, but countries like France and England are light years ahead of us in terms of caring for their citizens. The notions of "doctors are paid less" and "the quality of care is sacrificed" are both myths. Especially when you consider the sub-par care 9/11 rescue workers are currently receiving, you know that something is wrong:

"I'll be walking in a memory walk tonight, but I just don't know how many people will actually walk with me," Reggie said of the seventh anniversary of the World Trade Center attacks. Suffering from several 9/11-related health issues, she has to fight for what little healthcare she gets through workers' comp. But in her characteristic way of thinking about others first, Reggie asks that we remember other 9/11 victims still hurting for healthcare."

Healthcare 9/11 Hero Hopes Others Will Remember

That people still deny that we have major improvements to make in our healthcare is nothing short of atrocious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania