Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who Are You Voting For On Election Day?
Sen. John McCain (R) 51 35.92%
Sen. Barack Obama (D) 74 52.11%
Other 6 4.23%
Undecided 6 4.23%
I'm Not Voting 5 3.52%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 10:34 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

DISCLAIMER: This will be a public poll merely to ensure that we can identify who has actually been voting here in order to discourage "outsiders" from coming onto this forum and spewing venom about one candidate or another. This should NOT be misconstrued as a means to send anyone a nasty DM saying "I can't believe you support a jerk like Obama, you liberal pansy" or anything else along those lines to anyone who strays from your political viewpoint. Please limit heated discussion here. I felt this was inappropriate for the off-topic thread because I would have had no ability to construct a poll. I will report ANY post in which people start flaming one another for their beliefs in an attempt to get this thread closed. Ideally people will be able to vote right up until Election Day, when this poll will be closed and we can compare our poll's results to the results of state and nation. Thank you for your co-operation, and I'd ask that the moderation please be slightly more tolerant in an effort to prevent the closure of this thread before November 4.

With the "fine print" out of the way I feel as if Pennsylvania is most definitely going to be a "swing-state" in this general election. When Sen. Hillary Clinton was still in the race as a prospective Democratic presidential nominee, all of NEPA was abuzz with support for her and disdain for Sen. McCain. Now that Sen. Obama has been given the party nod, I've seen an unbelievably tremendous shift in our area away from the Democratic party and towards the Republican party. Many former PA supporters of Sen. Clinton refuse to support Sen. Obama because they are bitter that he overlooked her as a running mate, bitter that she wasn't the nominee, feel as if he just doesn't have enough "experience," or in some cases I'm still sorry to say are just downright racist, as I've heard "we're not ready for a black president" around Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on more than one occasion.

Since I affixed my Obama '08 bumper sticker to my car I've noticed people have been much more aggressive when driving behind me, which I take as a sign that I'm angering supporters of Sen. McCain. As I drive through our local communities I see signs for McCain/Palin on front lawns throughout our neighborhoods while I see very, very few signs supporting Obama/Biden. Either Obama supporters in NEPA aren't as loyal to the Democratic party as the McCain supporters in NEPA are loyal to the Republican party or Sen. McCain truly is gaining ground in PA.

Since we're such a crucial state, I feel as if it is more important than ever now that every Pennsylvanian makes his or her vote count! Get out and vote on November 4!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 10:39 PM

463 posts, read 1,564,621 times
I'm supporting Obama this year. I have an Obama bumper sticker but I'm afraid of putting it on my car here in Williamsport for fear of vandalism. (I'd feel that way just about anyplace, not just here). I also voted for Obama in the primaries in April when I lived in Bucks County, which went 2-1 for Clinton.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:26 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
I'm in for McCain/Palin.

He was not my first choice, but it what we've got. Ultimately if he can keep taxes low and bring Iraq and Afghanistan to a successful or stable conclusion, I will be happy and can debate the rest with him. Going off of historical evidence from the Great Depression when taxes and tariffs were raised I think Obama's plan of tax increases on capital gains and businesses and repealing the Bush tax cuts by raising our tax brackets back to Clinton levels will be fatal to the economy. I also am glad from the debate tonight Obama made no secret of NOT cutting wasteful spending or entitlements which again will be fatal. Socialized health care and we are $10 Trillion in debt? Even if you want that stuff we are broke right now.

Palin I am glad he bought on the ticket as we need some new up and comers in the republican party, some new leadership, ideas, backgrounds, etc. She is a very smart politically astute woman that can serve as a good understudy to be a future president.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
With the "fine print" out of the way I feel as if Pennsylvania is most definitely going to be a "swing-state" in this general election. When Sen. Hillary Clinton was still in the race as a prospective Democratic presidential nominee, all of NEPA was abuzz with support for her and disdain for Sen. McCain. Now that Sen. Obama has been given the party nod, I've seen an unbelievably tremendous shift in our area away from the Democratic party and towards the Republican party. Many former PA supporters of Sen. Clinton refuse to support Sen. Obama because they are bitter that he overlooked her as a running mate, bitter that she wasn't the nominee, feel as if he just doesn't have enough "experience," or in some cases I'm still sorry to say are just downright racist, as I've heard "we're not ready for a black president" around Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on more than one occasion.

Since I affixed my Obama '08 bumper sticker to my car I've noticed people have been much more aggressive when driving behind me, which I take as a sign that I'm angering supporters of Sen. McCain. As I drive through our local communities I see signs for McCain/Palin on front lawns throughout our neighborhoods while I see very, very few signs supporting Obama/Biden. Either Obama supporters in NEPA aren't as loyal to the Democratic party as the McCain supporters in NEPA are loyal to the Republican party or Sen. McCain truly is gaining ground in PA.
No question is PA a major battleground state and the battle has just begun. And as we know a lot of it is voter turnout and who can get their party ginned up to come out and vote.

Also now is the serious time. Obama has been running for almost two years now and McCain for just over a year actively. We've heard their stories so the politically active people have made their minds up. Now it is down to the casual voter and what they pay attention to from this point out.

What stuck me in the debate this evening was that McCain was direct and focused and knew what he was talking about and Obama came off as a well educated college student seeking his masters in political science. There was a lot of memorized book smarts but no "real world" type basis in anything he was saying. One thing I noticed was when McCain mentioned a bracelet he received from a deceased soldier and Obama injected "I've got a bracelet too!!" and then could not remember the soldiers name, it smacked of some immaturity and unsincerity. I think when people see things like that, they might think Obama is well educated and well spoken, but do you want him dealing with someone like Putin who would have him for lunch? No maybe not.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:02 AM

142 posts, read 406,457 times
Obama all the way. I am union, and back him 100 percent. Because of ideas of those like John Mccain (Regan) most of this states mills shut down. Mccain wants to make a federal right to work law....pretty much slavery. Iraq was a lie, and we have NO right being there...im for going into afganistan and getting the people responsible for 911, not "helping" the iraqi people, and getting are guys killed for oil and money. Mccain will be a 3rd Bush, i dont understand how anyone could vote for him after the past 8 years. He is all for shipping our jobs overseas, and for the big companys. Unless someones rich i dont understand what makes them vote republican. They are not for the middle class. Anymore there is no middle class...the past 8 years the rich got richer and everyone else got poorer. Mccain also didnt want to debate tonight....he was afraid that should tell anyone with half a mind something...Hes "so worried about the economy"...well whats he been doing the past 8 years? Nothing...worried about iraq. Sorry but i could give a sh*t less about Iraqs people....i care about the people in AMERICA who need help. Look at Michigan, instead of spending billions of dollars in Iraq how about helping the people up there whos economy is worse than anywere? Or how about the people in rural kentucky who cant read? His saying "country first" means every other country first, not america. Hopefully PA will go for Obama, for this state to even be close it surprises me...this state was built on unions, and working rights...something Mccain wants to take away. Also i dont know how many times its been said but Obama is not going to raise your taxes unless you make over 250 a year...and if you do i think you can afford it. Im so sick of hearing the republican ideas about him raising taxes. Mccain/Palin is a joke. If you like paying the high prices for gas, food, and everything else, and like to see jobs shipped overseas then vote for Mccain...if your for America vote for Obama.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers115 View Post
Obama all the way. I am union, and back him 100 percent. Because of ideas of those like John Mccain (Regan) most of this states mills shut down. Mccain wants to make a federal right to work law....pretty much slavery. Iraq was a lie, and we have NO right being there...im for going into afganistan and getting the people responsible for 911, not "helping" the iraqi people, and getting are guys killed for oil and money. Mccain will be a 3rd Bush, i dont understand how anyone could vote for him after the past 8 years. He is all for shipping our jobs overseas, and for the big companys. Unless someones rich i dont understand what makes them vote republican. They are not for the middle class. Anymore there is no middle class...the past 8 years the rich got richer and everyone else got poorer. Mccain also didnt want to debate tonight....he was afraid that should tell anyone with half a mind something...Hes "so worried about the economy"...well whats he been doing the past 8 years? Nothing...worried about iraq. Sorry but i could give a sh*t less about Iraqs people....i care about the people in AMERICA who need help. Look at Michigan, instead of spending billions of dollars in Iraq how about helping the people up there whos economy is worse than anywere? Or how about the people in rural kentucky who cant read? His saying "country first" means every other country first, not america. Hopefully PA will go for Obama, for this state to even be close it surprises me...this state was built on unions, and working rights...something Mccain wants to take away. Also i dont know how many times its been said but Obama is not going to raise your taxes unless you make over 250 a year...and if you do i think you can afford it. Im so sick of hearing the republican ideas about him raising taxes. Mccain/Palin is a joke. If you like paying the high prices for gas, food, and everything else, and like to see jobs shipped overseas then vote for Mccain...if your for America vote for Obama.
Yes look at Michigan. As I understand it from people that live there(or did), democrats voted in a tax and spend policy and businesses fled the state.

Obama is going to raise your taxes if the Bush tax cuts are allowed to end in 2010 as the old higher rate tax brackets come back in for everyone. Obama's tax breaks for the middle class as he defines them are nothing but credits and rebates, none of which are permanent, well defined or citizen wide eligible.

And he is going to raise business and capital gains tax. And I'm sure you are going to think that wont affect you but it already has and will do so into the future. It's those business owners that pay high taxes that move their business to other countries where they don't pay high taxes. Pretty simple math. Capital gains tax? I believe about 70% of Americans own stocks or homes or other capital assets and will suffer under punitive capital gains tax. It's also a disincentive to invest in a home or investments for your future. If you are all about American jobs then you wont be voting for Obama.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:03 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,316 times
I fear being called a racist if I post my thoughts

Ah, what the heck, I'm not very politically correct anyway.

Senator Obama, his thoughts, his views, his stances, his lack of voting in Senate, etc., they all scare me. And he is in deep, way deep in this financial mess this country is currently in. Yes, both candidates are involved, hell, everyone in D.C. is, but Senator McCains involvement pales in comparison. In Fact, Senator McCain tried to avert it on a few occasions. I fear this country will really go down the tubes if Senator Obama is elected.

Last edited by dugdogmaster; 09-27-2008 at 04:14 AM..

Old 09-27-2008, 04:16 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Ideally people will be able to vote right up until Election Day, when this poll will be closed and we can compare our poll's results to the results of state and nation. Thank you for your co-operation, and I'd ask that the moderation please be slightly more tolerant in an effort to prevent the closure of this thread before November 4.
Awesome, keep it open until the polls actually close in PA

Old 09-27-2008, 06:17 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,272,401 times
I am independent. It amazes me that people hate the direction this country is going in, hate the congress, hate the pay to play politics, hate the eletism in Washington, hate the special interest and lobbyist (who are the only people who are politicians cater too anymore) but everytime an election cycle comes around people get vehemently defensive and supportive of one candidate or another as if their politician was there own brother or sister. Probably 85% of them are ex-lawyers, and career lyers. These televised debates and speeches are little more then an acting try out. People literally judge a presidential candidate on how well they can "act" give a speech ect. In other words whoever can sell us the biggest amount of B.S., and look the best doing it usually gets elected. Every senator in Washington is a millioniare, some are even billioniares. They do nothing but devise more ways to rob you blind! Let's take some key Republican causes for example: anti abortion, anti illegal immigration, welfare reform, conservative spending, less government ect. OK, now we have had a republican president for 8 years and a republican congress for 6 years? What have they done for you unwashed masses and peasants out there that will defend the republican platform til the death? Is abortion now illegal? Did they stop the flow of illegal immigration? did they do anything at all to drastically cut down on wefare give outs? Did they shrink government? Did they streamline Washington and cut spending? Or didthey do NOTHING for the last 8 years, and in fact grow the government into the biggest most bloated, most expensive government ever with the biggest defeceit ever, in effect doing nothing at all for any of the republican causes, but when voting time comes around again the "sheeple" will defend their politicians as if it was their own mother. Out of the last two presidents, one is famous and most well known for getting a "Lewanski" while in the oval office( what a legecy to leave behind!), and the other...well that speaks for itself. Yes folks out of a country of 350 million people I believe? We only get two choices... yes folks two!!! And the choices we are always left with are never the most intelligent person in America, never the most courages person, never the most giving or compassionate person in America...nope! none of the above. We'll once again be voting for the most popular, filthy rich, pampered, out of touch, ex lawyer, career politician, that knows how to smooze enough "less then intelligent folks" that still believe the B.S. these weasles are selling, and has raised enough dirty money from big business and special interest groups. Congress approval rating is at 9%! the lowest ever, but the stupid sheeple will inevitably vote most of them back in like the brain washed sheep that they are. It never stops amazing me. This country, more then ever, needs a viable third party or ten more parties for that matter, before the weasles we have now literally keep stealing from us until we are all homeless. So go ahead, fight amongst each other for which weasle politician is America's "best" choice. When in reality they can care less about you, and will do nothing but figure out more ways to reach deeper into your pockets and pull out the little change that is left after they get elected like they always have done! If I vote at all it will not be because I support one lyer over the other, but my vote will be cast merely to limit the damage of which ever one will screw us the worst. I HATE THE DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS!!! WE NEED MORE AND BETTER CHOICES!!! WAKE UP AMERICA AND REALIZE WHAT THE HELL IS REALY GOING ON. Well, I hope you people have an enormous vat of KY Jelly becuase all of us are about to be screwed hard for about $700 billion dollars (probably alot more then that!).. Bend over and take it like a man! This is your hard earned money at work! Merry Christmas to the millionaire and billionaire Wall st thieves! Courteousy of the U.S. taxpayer. YOU ARE ALL SLAVES TO THE CORRUPT SYSTEM AND DESERVE EXACTLY WHAT YOU WILL GET!!! Good Luck!

Old 09-27-2008, 07:00 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
I hate to say it but I voted for Bush in 2000. I did not vote for him in 2004.

I am heading to the other side of the fence. I enjoyed the debate last night but thought McCain came off as arrogant, rude and a know it all. I thought Obama came across as thoughtful, respectful, educated and a decent human being. I felt that McCain should have looked Obama in the eye more than he did ; he didnt do that at all.

While Obama may not have experience, I think we all need to get rid of the old cronies, get a new fresher people in there with a fresh look and rescue the country from the old school. From someone who was raised abroad, it is so hard to see this wonderful country going down the swanee alone. We used to have such great foreign relations with most other countries. When i go home (ireland) there is such a terrible anti american feeling that I actually do not like to go there anymore.

d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania