Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 10:24 AM

5 posts, read 35,489 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your replies. Indeed my employer deducts 2% for local income tax. This is the same tax rate of my current township. However, my previous township's tax rate was 1% but my employer still deducted 2%. This means that for 2 and a half years I was overpaying local taxes. No wonder why the tax collector of my previous township (Susquehanna Twp) didn't bother to contact me for filing the previous tax returns. How honest these tax folks are... you literally don't exist when you overpay, but how quickly they remind you when it's you who owe them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 12:04 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
[quote=BPP1999;5536926]All taxes are ridiculous?

I hope your kids are never kidnapped, or your bank is never robbed, so you won't need to use the FBI. The FBI is incompetent and should be shut down.

I hope your community never floods so you won't need FEMA. Another big government bureacracy.

Vote Liberterian!

Old 10-08-2008, 02:27 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
All taxes are ridiculous?

I hope your community never floods so you won't need FEMA.
That's reassuring. But your point that some taxes are necessary is certainly valid. It's unfortunate you can't pick & choose where your money goes rather than have politicians funnel it into the pockets of their cronies.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:45 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanboy View Post
Indeed my employer deducts 2% for local income tax. This is the same tax rate of my current township. However, my previous township's tax rate was 1% but my employer still deducted 2%. This means that for 2 and a half years I was overpaying local taxes. No wonder why the tax collector of my previous township (Susquehanna Twp) didn't bother to contact me for filing the previous tax returns. How honest these tax folks are... you literally don't exist when you overpay, but how quickly they remind you when it's you who owe them!
Do you live and work in the same township? You owe, and income taxes are deducted from your check based on, the tax rate of the municipality/township in which you work. So if where you work collects 2 percent and where you previously lived collected 1 percent, you weren't overpaying.

If the tax rate is higher where you work than where you live, you can ask your employer to take out the higher amount and send that to your home municipality, but the employer has no obligation to do so.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:11 AM

5 posts, read 35,489 times
Oh yes I was overpaying as the refund check that I received clearly confirmed. Income taxes are typically deducted from your check at the rate of your municipality where you work, yes, unless you ask to change it of course. However, by PA law you have to pay local income taxes at the rate of the municipality where you live (not where you work). Therefore, I was indeed overpaying, and the township remained silent for 3 years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Do you live and work in the same township? You owe, and income taxes are deducted from your check based on, the tax rate of the municipality/township in which you work. So if where you work collects 2 percent and where you previously lived collected 1 percent, you weren't overpaying.

If the tax rate is higher where you work than where you live, you can ask your employer to take out the higher amount and send that to your home municipality, but the employer has no obligation to do so.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:04 PM

148 posts, read 637,537 times
Don't kid yourself. Taxes are high everywhere, just administered in different ways. I lived in Florida before moving here and paid almost $12,000 a year in property taxes yet no state or local income taxes. I also lived in Chicago where sales taxes are 10%. Every state has its own welfare state but chooses to finance it is different ways.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,875 times
PA has funny tax , local income tax or city tax really rip off everybody . if you live in scranton which has 3.4 % of city tax but work in other county which has 1 % deducted on every pay check you earn , you will end up to pay the single city tax office up to $700 a year . GOT TO MOVE OUT OF PA . full of craps , too many damned hole road they reluctantly fix it . rip off your tax money , your wheel , your freedom of life . even after you died , your relatives still need to pay for your dead body tax i guest , lol

Old 02-17-2010, 08:11 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,085,484 times
Welcome to "Taxavania". It's time to do some department chopping at the local, state and federal level and give the country back to the people.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
In W.Pa. local taxes are not taken out of your pay. You have to file on your own.
That's not true. If the company has a location in your township, taxes are required to be deducted from the pay.

For instance, PNC has locations in almost every township so employees of PNC generally have their taxes decuded.

Same with employees of the Diocese, etc.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:15 AM

1 posts, read 5,275 times
[FONT=Times New Roman][LEFT][FONT=verdana]If the tax rate is higher where you work than where you live, you can ask your employer to take out the higher amount and send that to your home municipality, but the employer has no obligation to do so.
[/FONT][/LEFT][/FONT]
robertjao
[url=http://www.residencychecks.com/]residency checks[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania