Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2006, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 19,485 times

Advertisements

I'll be relocating to Red Lion soon. Does anyone have any info to share?

Fav. Pizza, favorite fun spots, great places for kids etc.?

How are the schools? Love 'em? Hate 'em?

What church do you attend? Do you find the minister engaging? Is the congregation friendly?

How do you feel about the toxicity of the area?

Anything else you can think of, feel free to tell me about.

Thanks for making my move more enjoyable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2006, 11:40 AM

3 posts, read 24,857 times
Smile Moving to PA

Hello Rolinda and welcome to the neighborhood soon! I live and have my office just outside of Red Lion in York County, PA. It is very beautiful around here with a friendly country atmosphere. I lived 2 years in the town of Red Lion on the main street then moved to 2 acres in Red Lion about 10 minutes away. Our sons like the surrounding schools and have many friends. My husband and I have a daughter on the way in about another month. We attend a friendly church in York called "Praise Community Church" on Ogontz street in York. My husband plays softball for the church team. Everyone at the church is very friendly and outgoing. They have a huge youth program.

We have a few favorite places around here to eat. One is a family eatery called "Dairyland Family Restaurant" in Dallastown about 5 minutes from Red Lion and the other is Pizzatown, in East Prospect about 10 minutes away. My husband and I's company actually moved them into the area with our moving company A-1 Moving Helpers, and became friends with the family. They are a great, friendly Italian family. We have a website if you'd be interested in help with moving or after you arrive feel free to contact us. URL removed

There is a local bowling alley in Red Lion that lots of children hang out at and is owned by close friends of our called Lion Bowl. They have a website also www.lionbowl.com (broken link). My sons liked to go there after school with their friends and I knew they were always being watched over by the owners so they were safe.

Red Lion has a huge park but my advice is if you have children only let them go there with you. A lot of "bad apples" hang there to smoke, cause trouble or worse. Beside the park is a library that has computer the kids can play games on or do research. I never had problems with them being at the library but they knew not to wander to the park and get in trouble.

I hope some of this info was useful and I wish you the best in relocating. I couldn't find where you were coming from so I don't know if it's a short or long trip but either way, be safe in your travels!!

Pattie

Last edited by Marka; 03-07-2006 at 01:00 AM..

Old 04-28-2006, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 19,485 times
Pattie,
I finally feel settled, and am loving Red Lion and York County. Thank you so much for all the great info.

Our favorite pizza is Sal's in Dallastown, and we attend Springvale UMC. I love shopping at D&K and can't wait to take in a movie at the theatre in Dallastown.

It feels so much like home here. Looking forward to MY next 20 years in Red Lion.

Blessings,
Rolinda

Old 12-06-2006, 10:15 AM

6 posts, read 44,937 times
Hi, all! I am planning on moving to Red Lion from the Eastern Shore of Maryland. I've done a lot of research and your town just looks great. My problem? I work in D.C. Does anyone know the best way to get there? I assume driving to Baltimore and taking the train? Has anyone ever done the complete drive in rush hour traffic? Thanks!!

Old 12-10-2006, 09:01 AM

3 posts, read 24,857 times
Rolinda...welcome to York County! I hope you get a chance to go to Rocky Ridge Park while the holiday lights are up. They have a great light display through out the park. Their website is http://ycwebserver.york-county.org/Parks/RockyRidge.htm (broken link) and makes for a nice family evening. During the summer it's a wonderful place for kids to play, ride your bikes etc.

Have a Merry Christmas!
Pattie

Old 03-26-2007, 09:21 PM

2 posts, read 28,104 times
Default ...

I am going to be brutally honest about how I (notice the "I" which stands for my opinion so don't get on my case) feel about Red Lion. I've been here since I was 7 (now 19) and I know first hand the education is crap. They don't prepare you for college, It took time at first for me to adjust. Also the schools are becoming rediculously over populated. Secondly, most of the people here are the most ignorant jackasses I have ever encountered. I haven't experienced the "country environment" yet. Just because there are farms and a lot of open land does not qualify the town as country. I will agree that there are bad eggs that hang out at Fairmount Park and most of those same bad eggs hang out at Lion Bowl. To go out on a good note, I recommend Roma's for pizza. Italians actually make the Italian for instead of Mexicans making the Italian food. Sorry if I make you want to stay far far away from Red Lion, but I am just trying to do you a favor in staying far far away.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:26 AM

6 posts, read 44,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottalikemike View Post
I am going to be brutally honest about how I (notice the "I" which stands for my opinion so don't get on my case) feel about Red Lion. I've been here since I was 7 (now 19) and I know first hand the education is crap. They don't prepare you for college, It took time at first for me to adjust. Also the schools are becoming rediculously over populated. Secondly, most of the people here are the most ignorant jackasses I have ever encountered. I haven't experienced the "country environment" yet. Just because there are farms and a lot of open land does not qualify the town as country. I will agree that there are bad eggs that hang out at Fairmount Park and most of those same bad eggs hang out at Lion Bowl. To go out on a good note, I recommend Roma's for pizza. Italians actually make the Italian for instead of Mexicans making the Italian food. Sorry if I make you want to stay far far away from Red Lion, but I am just trying to do you a favor in staying far far away.
Hiya, Mike! When I was thirteen my parents moved from Silver Spring, MD to Bristol, West Virginia. I felt the EXACT same way about that area as you do about Red Lion...but now I'm a lot older and I find I love that area as well as other rural areas. Do you think part of how you feel might be because when you're younger you just wanna DO more and be around things that are a bit more sophisticated? I know that colored my opinions as a teenager in West Virginia. From what I can see of Red Lion, without having lived there or having had your experiences, it looks nice from the outside looking in.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:17 AM

60 posts, read 375,542 times
Lightbulb Commute

Tekva;

I work in Towson, which is considerably closer than D.C. I leave at 5 am to advoid traffic on I-83. That is the only main straight shot to the Baltimore area, it is two lanes and everyone else is doing the same exact thing. Which is moving to PA but still working in and around MD. It takes me approximately 45 minutes to get to 695 and 83.

I would say your best bet is to drive straight to the Halethorpe MARC station and take that from there. Or you can stop at the Hunt Valley Light rail station, take that to University of Baltimore/Mt Royal Stop. There is a shuttle that will take you over to Penn Station. Catch the MARC from Penn down to D.C.

It would seem that all the waiting and shuttling would take more time than to actually drive to a MARC station. If you can leave early enough than this would be the route to go.

But I would avoid 95 and 495 like the plague! Hope this helps even though it is 2 months later. Here is the link to the MTA rail system - Maryland Transit Administration (http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/marc/schedulesSystemMaps/marcTrainSystemMap.cfm - broken link)

Old 07-02-2007, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 9,035 times
Default red lion

hi....

while it is true the red lion schools are getting a bit crowded they are working on enlarging the high school and building a new elememrty school..we are just in such a state of growth here.........a lot of people moning up from maryland is one of the biggest growth areas......and some people do think that the government services lack..of course thye don't remember how much in taxes they paid in baltimore county....not blaming just stating facts......

as for the educations system...you get out of the schools what you ask for.........and do......there are so many oppertunities here to do things
from sports to bands to clubs to plays......all you have to do is look or ask there are a varied program here.......

as forthe schools i drive one of the school busses so i get to know the kids and the problems also...and you all may think its a few bad apples....but the parents are the root cause by not having the disipline at home that causes it.........

anyway i;ve rambled on enough...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania