U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 09:45 AM

3 posts, read 6,902 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I think it depends on the people. We have a lot of "tranplants," and some I tolerate and then become quite friendly with. There are others, though, that I wish would go back where they came from and stop ruining our town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 10:05 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,115,792 times
I live in the Harrisburg area and have to say I've never heard anyone be other then welcoming to new people moving to the area.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-10-2008 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: inappropriate language.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:25 AM

16,848 posts, read 16,685,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familymom View Post
Well how rural is Littiz and Manheim area? I hope to see the area shortly, but you make sound like there are farms everywhere with terrible smells of manure and men with guns chasing deer around the streets. I was visualizing more of a small town with rural pockets around it. With many windy beautiful roads with neat farms in the horizon. That is my dream anyway.
Actually, most of PA is rural areas with pockets of towns scattered here and there.
Hunters in general are law abiding, PA has the highest % of hunters in the country-something north of 1 million, more than are in the Army. Will you see hunters on the streets? Yes, walking to the restaurant. Will you hear them? Yes. I think the safety zone in PA is 100 yards from an occupied dwelling. Keep in mind hunting, and fishing for that matter, are part of the culture of many areas. Here in MD it's goose/duck hunting. We have new residents every year come and complain about the guys in the Bay hunting, and those guys are legal. Most MD counties also have a "right to farm" law making harrassment of a farmer doing his thing illegal. I think PA has the same. That's what I mean about urban/suburban folks moving to the country-know what you're getting yourself into. The lifestyle, folkways and mores of rural areas are many times different than what you're used to.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:58 PM

557 posts, read 1,183,757 times
Quote:
Well how rural is Littiz and Manheim area? I hope to see the area shortly, but you make sound like there are farms everywhere with terrible smells of manure and men with guns chasing deer around the streets. I was visualizing more of a small town with rural pockets around it. With many windy beautiful roads with neat farms in the horizon. That is my dream anyway.
Manheim and Lititz are not that rural in town. They are just small towns with rural areas outside of them. The only time you will see hunters in town is when they are getting into their car to go hunting. You might see them in a store wearing the orange blaze but that's about it. Hunters are good law abiding citizens that will not cause you any problems,and unless you are deep into the woods during season ,you will never actually even see them with a gun hunting. farms=manure smell,but it's not that bad. You kind of get used to it and it's not year round.

toobusytoday is absolutely correct in that you do need to watch out for deer in the streets back the country roads. I could not even count the number of times I almost ran head on to a deer at night. Just keep your speed down and be on guard if you are near forested areas. They like to stare at you for a little while as they stand in the middle of the road and than take darting off into the woods. They sure do a lot of damage to a vehicle though.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:46 PM

1,815 posts, read 1,957,188 times
Quote:
Well how rural is Littiz and Manheim area? I hope to see the area shortly, but you make sound like there are farms everywhere with terrible smells of manure and men with guns chasing deer around the streets.
Farms have manure; sometimes you can smell it. Pennsylvania towns have hunters (though you would only see them as they leave for or arrive from trips to the places where they hunt).

Old 10-11-2008, 07:35 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,884,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
Pa is not welcoming to outsiders at all. They sneer at them.
Perhaps that has been your experience, but we moved to PA back in 2002 and since then have lived in three different regions (NEPA, Montgomery county and now Lehigh Valley) and we have found the people in PA very welcoming!

True, the friends I have made are mostly transplants like myself, but that's just because we don't have family/friends here that we grew up, so we are more open to making connections.

I have been in the Lehigh Valley for a year now, and couldn't be happier - i highly recommend this area.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:30 AM

665 posts, read 531,639 times
Smile America is most accepting

You know I live in a middle class community and I stil have yet to know all my neighbors. Look if anyone takes the time to determine you are from New York at least they took an interest. Last but not least you are still living in America; so you live where you want to live.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:54 PM

641 posts, read 1,623,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyLiz View Post
True, the friends I have made are mostly transplants like myself...
I rest my case. None of my friends in PA were actually from PA. Everyone is jealous of me because I was able to get out and they still can't.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:16 AM

503 posts, read 1,163,178 times
Well we did a road trip yesterday and drove around Lititz and Manheim. We were very impressed on how the older sections of town were very upkept. The whole area was very nice. I especially like all the parks. We went to Overlook park (because we have a skateboarder for a son) and met many families that were very helpful. Some were locals and some were transplants. I think we would fit in very well. We also drove thru Lancaster and thanks to our GPS we drove down some very narrow streets in some pretty scary spots. We didn't feel threatened but would not want to be there at night time. Actually it looked like a very tight community area, if you were Hispanic or brought up there. We ended up on the East side of Lancaster in a Lancaster County park (one with a skateboard park in it). It was amazing how much open space there was and you definately needed a car to get around the park. There were many different ethnic backgrounds of people there but everyone just minded there business and it was great. If I moved to this area, I don't think I would ever go to the actual city of Lancaster but was wondering if the crime ever come to you?

Old 10-13-2008, 07:54 PM

557 posts, read 1,183,757 times
Quote:
Well we did a road trip yesterday and drove around Lititz and Manheim. We were very impressed on how the older sections of town were very upkept. The whole area was very nice. I especially like all the parks.
If I moved to this area, I don't think I would ever go to the actual city of Lancaster but was wondering if the crime ever come to you?
When I lived in Lancaster County, I only went to Lancaster city for work,shopping,jury duty,etc. There's no real need to live in the city because there are so many nice clean safe towns nearby. The crime in Lancaster city WILL NOT be tolerated in any of the small towns outside of it. You really don't have to worry about the crime coming to you. They would be arrested and locked up real quick if they tried and they know it.

Just another benefit of living in close-knit communities where everybody knows everybody. You seem like a really good person and I'm sure you'll have no problems there with anybody. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania