U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-18-2008, 04:05 PM

961 posts, read 1,599,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoeppel View Post
Gee, I can't see why western PA doesn't vote for self-appointed coastal elites who think the rest of the country is made up of poor, uneducated, racist, rural hicks who "cling to guns and religion."
Is there an educated intellectual point in there...or did you just prove my point....
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 04:48 PM

714 posts, read 1,275,151 times
Or, did you just prove mine?

Old 10-19-2008, 11:42 AM

1,910 posts, read 1,030,345 times
Democratic party of today bears little resemblance to what it was back in the days of Hubert Humphrey. Lunch bucket blue collar rank and file riding their pick up trucks to job sites, fiercely anti communist and greatly influenced by the labor movement of the 1930s, are worlds apart from Ariana Huffingtons and moveon.org crowds who wouldn't get caught dead fraternizing with er... plumbers. Their lives have nothing in common. This is not a recent phenomenon. It began 30 years ago with Reagan Democrats. I really don't know what happened to them. No doubt, many of them have died and perhaps some became Republicans. What the current generations think and vote, I have no idea.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:48 PM

641 posts, read 1,592,356 times
PA is democrat in the way that they like to tax the hell outta your paycheck. And then you have all the gun-toting trailer lumberjacks that vote red.

I guess its a swing state

Old 10-21-2008, 09:46 PM

25 posts, read 23,341 times
Vote for the person, not the party.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:52 AM

11,059 posts, read 7,843,967 times
I think the democrats shoot themselves in the foot and make them less competetitve than they should be. Why take on issues like gun control, gay marriage, religion, etc. when it is either unpopular or has very little influence on the lives of the average citizen?
They'll demand gun control to the point its gun banning and then chastise the voters who overwhelmingly reject it as being ignorant. Violent crime increases when you ban guns, an odd result but documented. I don't think gay marriage is really an issue worth evaluating with everything else going on, but they make an issue out of it. So if people are uncomfortable with it, that only weakens anything else the democrats( really, liberals) may support. It is crazy. Then there's the ACLU and their attacks on established religious practices that may spill over onto public forums. Who cares? A few people get offended and make it an issue and the liberals **** off alot of voters trying to force their views onto the majority. So many things they do makes no sense and hamstrings their efforts, but they don't see it that way. They see the voters as the ones who are out of touch, not they. But, hey, thats politics.
Until both parties rid themselves of the extremsists and demagogues, the Nancy Pelosis, Barney Franks, Charley Rangles, Ted kennedys, Joe Bidens, Barak Obamas,Harry Reids,Bush, Cheneys,Feinsteins ( the GOP has begun the process already) from positions of leadership we'll continue to have the voters as pawns pitted against one another as government corruption and abuse perpetuates itself.
I'm not going to say that these people should be driven from politics( although some should based on incomptetence and lack of character), they have a place. Everybody needs a voice that represents them, especially minority viewpoints, and no one party or political philosophy can represent everybody. We've just let the extremists take over and the voters need to wake up and take their parties and government back. It's not that complicated, but as you say, everybodys attentions are turned elsewhere. Hey, how about that World Series!

Old 10-22-2008, 06:04 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,993,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
By logic, the Republican party should be utterly uncompetitive... Yet they compete. Bush authors the largest transfer of wealth in history, from the middle class to the upper class... Yet they compete. Regan literally replaces a nation full of unionized factory workers with a nation full of minimum wage sales people who work at Lowes, Kohls, and the mall... Yet they compete... It's truly amazing to me.

Presidents have little effect on the economy, and remember Congress has to pass the legislation before it goes to the President. Market forces propel companies to do what they do, not Presidents. Union labor priced themselves out of line with the value they were producing, hence the flight to foreign labor.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:28 PM

26,223 posts, read 45,926,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
PA is democrat in the way that they like to tax the hell outta your paycheck. And then you have all the gun-toting trailer lumberjacks that vote red.

I guess its a swing state
Wow! Now, don't hold back your true feelings or anything! Just let it all air out!

Old 10-22-2008, 01:39 PM

641 posts, read 1,592,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Wow! Now, don't hold back your true feelings or anything! Just let it all air out!
Ummm....I did....dude wtf

If I were to let it all air out you would see a bunch of asterisks on your screen

Old 10-22-2008, 05:13 PM

59 posts, read 96,095 times
Our economy is for sure hurting and we need change...let's all remember to vote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania