U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 01:46 PM

58 posts, read 119,965 times
I agree with previous posters, but also add an additional crucial point. I think many people easily forget that there is a part of America that still is on edge that racial and religious minorities are supposedly "stealing" and taking over a country that is supposed to be owned by the Christian, white man (Whites still make up 65% of the country and, supposing immigration continues, will still make up about half of the country's pop.). They also see their country "going to hell in a handbasket," as they see the resistance to homosexuality weaken and progressive ideas more and more become reality, thanks to time and the younger generation (THANK GOD!).
Republicans rally these people. They portray themselves as a party that wants to return to the Constitution, but that's because the Constitution was written by and meant to serve the priveleged Christian white man. Most Republicans know this, but never come out and say this. And so they rally behind Republicans.

However, I think everyone is missing the biggest reason why Republicans maintain their strength: Christianity in America. The Christian church is such a strong force to be reckoned with that it even appeals to minorities, which is the reason for black and Hispanic conservatives. Almost all black and Hispanic Republicans support their party because they so desperately want Christianity to be a part of American government and maybe even forced onto their hopeless communities. Christians all over the U.S., especially places like Utah or Texas, desperately want Christianity a part of government.

But the comment about Pennsylvania is, or even used to be, mostly Republican must be based on area. By these standards, if you looked at any electoral map now, then most of America, especially with Alaska, will vote Republican. But this is not true because of population density, which, I'm guessing, also dictates electoral college votes. This is why Obama isn't leading in most states, but can still win the election. The Republicans dominate in many rural, less-populated states, that have less electoral votes, but Obama dominates in states like California and New York and Illinois which have more residents and more electoral college votes. I don't live in Pennsylvania, but I'm guessing its VERY heavily democratic in the metro-city areas and then conservative in the many rural areas in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 05:09 PM

8,777 posts, read 15,500,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando Nigerian View Post
I agree with previous posters, but also add an additional crucial point. I think many people easily forget that there is a part of America that still is on edge that racial and religious minorities are supposedly "stealing" and taking over a country that is supposed to be owned by the Christian, white man (Whites still make up 65% of the country and, supposing immigration continues, will still make up about half of the country's pop.). They also see their country "going to hell in a handbasket," as they see the resistance to homosexuality weaken and progressive ideas more and more become reality, thanks to time and the younger generation (THANK GOD!).
Republicans rally these people. They portray themselves as a party that wants to return to the Constitution, but that's because the Constitution was written by and meant to serve the priveleged Christian white man. Most Republicans know this, but never come out and say this. And so they rally behind Republicans.

However, I think everyone is missing the biggest reason why Republicans maintain their strength: Christianity in America. The Christian church is such a strong force to be reckoned with that it even appeals to minorities, which is the reason for black and Hispanic conservatives. Almost all black and Hispanic Republicans support their party because they so desperately want Christianity to be a part of American government and maybe even forced onto their hopeless communities. Christians all over the U.S., especially places like Utah or Texas, desperately want Christianity a part of government.
And what do you think about people like me, who happens to be gay, moderately atheist, and republican.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:14 PM

16,401 posts, read 15,167,019 times
Or me: straight, agnostic, supports evolutionary theory and laughs at Creationism/Intelligent design, two degrees, veteran, elected official Republican. Oh, and originally from the rural, redneck, undereducated, violent, illiterate, and I forget what else has been posted as a derogatory description, part of PA.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:53 AM

4 posts, read 3,671 times
There is not a dime's worth of difference between these two parties, which is really one disguised as two, and they are utterly destroying our Constitutional Republic. Both parties have racked up over $10 trillion debt, $700 billion trade deficits, have gutted our manufacturing base, now gutting our while collar base (lost jobs) borrowing from communist China, lost liberties (destroyed our 4th Amendment, attacking our 1st, our 2nd and on and on). It's time to take off our Democrat and Republican hats off and put on our American hats. I sincerely ask you folks to read the U.S. Constitution, find out who in your district is running that are a Constitutionalist and vote for them. If there is none, get involved yourself.

I am in the PA's 16 District and running for U.S. Congress and respectfully ask for your support and vote.

www.DanFrankforCongress

Respectfully,

Dan Frank

Old 10-26-2008, 09:09 PM

956 posts, read 1,577,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
And what do you think about people like me, who happens to be gay, moderately atheist, and republican.
My first thoughts would be that you may be seriously confused.

How can you be a member of a party that hates you? How can you be a member of a party who's entire 2004 get-out-the-vote theme was "stop gay culture"? How can you be a member of a party who's christian conservative base is religiously obligated to eliminate your kind from this earth????

The dems don't support gay marriage, but they do believe in live and let live.

So Yea... My first thoughts are that you may be confused

Last edited by zip95; 10-26-2008 at 09:22 PM..

Old 10-26-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Or me: straight, agnostic, supports evolutionary theory and laughs at Creationism/Intelligent design, two degrees, veteran, elected official Republican. Oh, and originally from the rural, redneck, undereducated, violent, illiterate, and I forget what else has been posted as a derogatory description, part of PA.
My first thoughts are that you have always been a republican... and old habits die hard.... Its incredibly difficult to let go of ingrained beliefs... Even in the face of overwhelming evidence.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:04 PM

714 posts, read 1,263,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post

How can you be a member of a party that hates you? How can you be a member of a party who's entire 2004 get-out-the-vote theme was "stop gay culture"? How can you be a member of a party who's christian conservative base is religiously obligated to eliminate your kind from this earth????

So Christian conservatives want to kill people for doing homosexual acts? Is that what you are asserting? Have you ever met a conservative Christian, or are you just repeating stereotypes?

Old 10-26-2008, 10:57 PM

8,777 posts, read 15,500,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post

I have many Christian friends, none of them has tried to "eliminate me from the earth" so far, nor do they nag me. You believe what you see on TV too much.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoeppel View Post
So Christian conservatives want to kill people for doing homosexual acts? Is that what you are asserting? Have you ever met a conservative Christian, or are you just repeating stereotypes?
Good to see reading comprehension at work????

I never said anything like "Christians want to kill gays"... I said christians want to eliminate gays... Think all those religious "cure your gayness" camps... Like an oncologist eliminates cancer

Old 10-27-2008, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I have many Christian friends, none of them has tried to "eliminate me from the earth" so far, nor do they nag me. You believe what you see on TV too much.
It's still a free country dude... Good luck with all that...

EDIT:

Well, actually... With these warrentless wiretaps on US citizens, and our new government owned financial system... We are a lot less free than we were 8 years ago

Last edited by zip95; 10-27-2008 at 03:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania