U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 10:20 AM

2 posts, read 7,558 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to York, PA in the next 2 months. I have done some research but would love some confirmation from people already living in the area. I will be working in the Eastern part of York off of 30. I have read threads that say if you work on the East side live on the East side but that sure does limit housing prospects. I have 1 daughter in 10th grade and currently attends a school that has approximately 500 kids per graduating class. Some kind folks from the area highly recommended Central schools district which puts me looking for housing N & NE (I believe) of York. Are there any other high schools that are comparable to Central? How about Dover? Really would like to stay West, North, Northeast of town. Although I believe the commute from West to East would be tough - but I am used to traffic... Trying to nail down some areas for house hunting but want to make sure the kiddo gets into a decent school as well. She's not into any extracurricular activities except Drama. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 03:39 PM

97 posts, read 294,019 times
Try SchoolMatters - Home maybe this can help you with making a design. I really can not tell with school is better then the other due to being a Realtor.
You will find many great people in Pa.. Have you been to the area? Will you visit soon? I will be happy pass along local information you want. I live in the Hanover area only 15 or miles away. I travel to York all time. Good Luck..Sharon

Old 10-25-2008, 08:42 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,460,537 times
Central York High School was opened about 4 years ago, state of the art and immediately too small, undergoing a huge addition of extra classroom space, pool and additional athletics. Great school district, but large classes (probably close to 400). Terrific performing arts/drama program, the director is a legend in the area. Many small community theatres as well. Two colleges near the center of York. Best school district is York Suburban in terms of academics, but class sizes are around 200 and it too has a great performing arts program. If you are working in East York, you are better off staying on the eastern side of Route 83. Being used to traffic is great, but this is ridiculous traffic and the most crazy time of day. Lots of housing available on the east side, townhouses, single family, rentals etc. The area is doing fairly well in spite of the economy. Cost of living overall is generally below average. Two hospitals, 2 major malls and everything else you might need. Downtown area has some great restaurants and a great performing arts (StrandCapitol) center.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:47 PM

The top four school districts in terms of test scores are Suburban, Dallastown, Central and Southwestern (near the Maryland border and south of Hanover). I'd avoid Dover for high school, administration has gone through some hard times with change, so teacher morale is not consistent. Central and Dallastown have large graduating classes (400+), as I mentioned above, Suburban would be about 200-225.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:46 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,213,337 times
teachbeach has given excellent advice. He/she is right on the money about the school districts.

Southwestern would not be within your travel range. York Suburban and Central would be the better of the remaining three for commute. There are many 'back roads' in York County, so D-Town wouldn't be out of the question.

Oh....how I do miss those back roads in York. As a matter of fact, I really miss York County in general.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:53 PM

2 posts, read 7,558 times
Thank you all for the information. I will keep that in mind when househunting next week.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:07 AM

17 posts, read 47,262 times
Default relocating from Oklahoma to York

I may be relocating to PA in June for a job at York Hospital. I have a 16 yr old daughter who will be a Junior in high school. Are the apartments available in the districts you mentioned? Particularly Suburban? I think that is close to the hospital. I'm not attached to living in York. Any of the surrounding areas would be fine. I'll be working some long shifts so would like to be 15-20 min away from the hospital.

Does anyone know of many hiking, running, biking trails/groups in the area. My husband sails. Does anyone know of some great areas to sail in the york area?

Old 12-26-2008, 08:56 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,213,337 times
frogmed, Just some quick, cursory info.

Both Subraban and Dallastown are great school districts and are close to York Hospital. I, personally, am a big fan of York Suburban. There are several options for apartments in the south end of York. Try an on line search. Suburban extends both south and east of York. The south end is closer to the hospital. Dallastown in south of York, and it extends quite a distance south...away from the hospital. You will find that York City Schools also abut the hospital. It's not a district I would suggest.

For sailing, check out Lake Marburg at Codorus State Park. It's a large man-made lake that was developed in the 1970s.

Local to Suburban district and Indian Rock Elementary area there is The Rail Trail. Many people use the area for hiking, running, and biking.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:50 AM

The nicest apartments and townhouses in the York Suburban School district are the Greensprings complex. They are in a great location (busy intersection) and would only be about 1-2 miles (5-10 minutes) from both the high school and hospital (in the same direction). They are right off route 83 and Mt. Rose/East Prospect Road (route 124). Dallastown has more options for apartments, but the commute would be a little longer. Both are excellent school districts. In fact the above named complex is large enough that some of the units are actually in Dallastown School District. There is the rail trail and there is/are hiking & biking clubs in the area. For sailing, you'd have to travel a little bit to a larger lake or if he's a hard core sailing person, Annapolis and the eastern shore of Maryland are an easy day's drive.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:45 PM

17 posts, read 47,262 times
Default schools again

What do you think of the West York Area School District? I found a house in that area I like. I'm flying up in a few weeks to look for housing. I was just wondering if the west York area is ok?

Last edited by frogmed; 04-03-2009 at 03:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania