Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2007, 12:27 AM

10 posts, read 35,205 times

Advertisements

We may be moving from Austin Texas to Coudersport. Any shopping? How are the schools? Is there much to do there? Or is it your typical small town with not much to do?

If so then how far away is shopping, good schools and things to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 04:23 PM

222 posts, read 1,405,251 times
coudersport is a small town of about 3 K, it is in the middle of potter county which is called 'God's country" by the locals, it is a very nice place to be if you like outdoors, hunting, fishing, hiking, biking, etc. There arent too many malls in the area, the closest walwart and major shopping is probably in St Marys Pa, in elk county which is about an hour os so southwest of town. They have a sheetz gas station in there and a few local mom and pop shops. it is very nice small downtown area. they have a mcdonalds and a chinese place. id say schools are good, its a great little town. there was another huge post (with pics) if you look back for coudersport you'll find it, it might be a few months ago.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:26 PM

9 posts, read 29,584 times
Coudersport is a nice place to live, very nice community, good school. It can at times be difficult to find a good paying job (Assuming you have one lined up or are retiring this may not be an issue). Potter County as a whole has a much more laid back way of living and is far less intense than the Northeast US tends to be. I do at time miss that.
The countryside is beautiful and there is plany of things to do if you like especially doing outdoor activities. In that case, there is fishing, hunting, hiking, skiing (down hill and cross country), snowmobiling, ATV etc. Trout fishing arguably some of the best in Pennsylvania. The winters can be a bit long if you don't like the cold and snow, but the summers are fantastic. Rarely does it get overwhelmingly hot, and in there are evenings esp in late August where you might need a light jacket.
Coudersport has a good hospital. I worked in the kitchen as a teen and it has grown alot since then, looks like alot of money is going into it, making it a better facility.
As openless said shopping is a bit tough. They have a supermarket, couple local hardware stores, and I am sure there is more. Wellsville, NY may be as close or closer than St. Mary's. Olean NY is about a 1 1/4 drive from Coudersport Boro. Olean has a small Mall, K-MART WAL-MART PENNY'S SEARS HOME-DEPOT.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:10 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,666,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplandes View Post
As openless said shopping is a bit tough. They have a supermarket, couple local hardware stores, and I am sure there is more. Wellsville, NY may be as close or closer than St. Mary's. Olean NY is about a 1 1/4 drive from Coudersport Boro. Olean has a small Mall, K-MART WAL-MART PENNY'S SEARS HOME-DEPOT.

One problem with going into NY for shopping is that you'll pay sales tax on clothing. I forgot that once, many years ago, and thought I was getting great deals on clothes that I was buying in NY - until they added 7% back on at the end of the transaction!

Old 02-28-2007, 06:49 PM

222 posts, read 1,405,251 times
its definatly a change of pace from Texas, but you'll love it if you like the outdoors. There are so many beautiful places to visit, check out the PA Grand Canyon and Kinzua Bridge, very close also to Alleghany National Forest.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:00 AM

10 posts, read 44,152 times
I grew up in Susquehanna County and watched the influx of Jersey and Philly people move in. I know the good ole days of being a pa farm boy are over, but I miss home bad. I live in southwest florida and although it is warm here, you can,t go out due to infrared sunrays. Is there any fairly decent priced property I can get there? I don,t need much. Just enough for a peaceful quiet existence. I,m one of you and miss the hills. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx

Old 04-13-2008, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,080 times
Default Patricia Blouse obit

Can anyone send me information about Tricias death and the investigation. Thanks in advance Barb

Old 05-01-2008, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 4,043 times
Thumbs up God's Country

Coudersport is the most beautiful, clean, pristine place I've ever lived. It is nestled in a valley watched over by three round hills (and many more beyond the dominant three) and by a sky completely free of pollution. There are no pinks in the sunsets. On any given day you may see hummingbirds, hawks, turkey vultures, deer wandering about. Food is excellent, wholesome, locally-grown, abundant and VERY inexpensive. Local maple products, honey and cheeses are phenomenally tasty.

Housing costs are so low that it feels to a fiscally-burdened New Englander (I was paying over a thousand a month before utilities for a tiny 4-room, third-floor-walkup, view of adjacent apt building, no parking, in West Hartford, CT) as if free! (Example: I was seriously interested in a handsome Victorian 9-room house with three-quarter wraparound porch, separate garage, beautiful condition, stately grace, on a flowery 3/4 acre lot on the river that sold in 2006 for under $100,000; rents that same year, though not plentiful, ran from 350-600/month for spacious accommodations with splendid views and included utilities!)

Downtown feels like you fell backwards into the fifties--owner-run shops, local pharmacy, family jewellers (be sure to see Scotty Abbruzzi's shop next-door to the theatre!), JC Penneys, all buildings except McDonalds circa 1861, two-three stories with nicely-maintained brick and ornamental faces, two streetlights cover the entirety. The town green boasts a magnificent courthouse in the white-steepled style and a gazebo in which local bands perform on summer Sundays and a farmer's market offers nice local fare and crafts from May to October, including several Amish booths with produce and fine woodwork and basketry for sale. Main Street also has a wonderful old-fashioned movie theatre offers a show Thursday-Saturday. The old and gracious Hotel Crittenden is a Coudersport landmark where you can dine formally in the front, more casually in the middle and catch a game of pool and a beer in the bar at back

A full grocery, The Jubilee, sits behind the Crittenden and you can get terrific pastry (and pretty much anything else you might want, including live bait), cheap smokes and, one day a week, the local newspaper 24 hours a day at the fabulous Sheetz gas station. The largest parking lot in town (not counting the old Adelphia lots) holds seventeen cars.

People are chilly at first--the town has a rough history of various industrial and corporate betrayals so there is an inherent distrust of outsiders. But be plain-spoken and non-condescending and patient and you'll come to make some friends.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:56 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,246,127 times
I spent a year in Coudersport as a kid with my aunt. Some of my fondest memories are from that year. It's a small town in the middle of no where, but that's the charm of it. It's the kind of small town where everyone knows everyone. Small Norman Rockwell Main st. running through the middle of town. Excellent place to live if your an outdoors person( a deer hunters dream). Lots of snow in the winter. They used to have a Maple festival in the fall on the town square. All in all it's a very quaint small town in the middle of nowhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania