U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 05:30 PM

2,099 posts, read 1,143,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Haha. I'm a zealot because I use the "Big Oil" terminology?
Come on, let's be honest. You know Big Oil is not a just a generic term to refer to oil companies. It is reserved for them by the left and is used to vilify them. ANything they want to smear, they stick a big in front of them. Big Tobacco? Since you could not provide a cost/benefit figure, let me get you a start. More energy is used in heating homes than driving cars(my educated guess). Are you in favor of a cap, or at least tax or fine, on the square footage of new homes to save energy and save the earth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 06:13 PM

22,736 posts, read 17,118,359 times
This is apprently the resultant article from that interview, note that coal is not mentioned once. So the questions is why wasn't it? Obviously if a presidential candidate suggests he's going to bankrupt the fuel used to power this nation it might be mentioned?

Document View

Old 11-02-2008, 06:40 PM

69 posts, read 182,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Pathetic, last minute straw-grasping on behalf of Republicans. This just happened to break the news today, right?
It doesn't matter when it appeared on the news, it's true. Obama is against coal and will decimate coal industry jobs.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:52 PM

390 posts, read 1,055,998 times
Obama: Spike energy costs to make people go 'green'

Obama Promises Skyrocketing Energy Prices

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eZxnT5tHVIo

Old 11-02-2008, 07:37 PM

22,736 posts, read 17,118,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susquehannock View Post
Obama Promises Skyrocketing Energy Prices

YouTube - Obama Promises Skyrocketing Energy Prices
LOL, I don't have to make any arguments, just let Barack make them for me:

Quote:
You know, when I was asked earlier about the issue of coal, uh, you know Under my plan of a cap and trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket. Even regardless of what I say about whether coal is good or bad. Because Im capping greenhouse gases, coal power plants, you know, natural gas, you name it whatever the plants were, whatever the industry was, uh, they would have to retrofit their operations. That will cost money. They will pass that money on to consumers.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:22 PM

Not smart to argue coal with thecoalman.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:31 AM

11,169 posts, read 8,080,611 times
McCain is definitely the guy with the energy plan. Between drilling, new nuclear plants and coal, we can achieve some real energy independance as well as create new jobs and it can be done responsibly. Obama has Gore leading him astray and we'll either go backwards or nowhere energy wise, which is what many on the left want.
Why Biden isn't pelted with rotten eggs and garbage when he goes home to Scranton is beyond me. The SNL skits of him trashing his hometown and its people is so real its sad.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:19 AM

2,906 posts, read 4,157,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Couldn't agree more, it's been well documented that climate change has happened since the dawn of time. What isn't clear is what causes it.
Incorrect. Taken directly from the website of the Environmental Protection Agency:

The Earth's climate has changed many times during the planet's history, with events ranging from ice ages to long periods of warmth. Historically, natural factors such as volcanic eruptions, changes in the Earth's orbit, and the amount of energy released from the Sun have affected the Earth's climate. Beginning late in the 18th century, human activities associated with the Industrial Revolution have also changed the composition of the atmosphere and therefore very likely are influencing the Earth's climate.

Basic Information | Climate Change | U.S. EPA

Now, if you think the EPA is somehow blatantly biased on this matter as a government organization, then I really don't know what else to tell you. Apparently a couple of reputable scientists who oppose the notion of climate change outweigh the vast majority who do accept climate change. That doesn't make too much sense:

The scientific consensus is clearly expressed in the reports of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). Created in 1988 by the World Meteorological Organization and the United Nations Environmental Programme, IPCC's purpose is to evaluate the state of climate science as a basis for informed policy action, primarily on the basis of peer-reviewed and published scientific literature (3). In its most recent assessment, IPCC states unequivocally that the consensus of scientific opinion is that Earth's climate is being affected by human activities: "Human activities ... are modifying the concentration of atmospheric constituents ... that absorb or scatter radiant energy. ... [M]ost of the observed warming over the last 50 years is likely to have been due to the increase in greenhouse gas concentrations" [p. 21 in (4)].

BEYOND THE IVORY TOWER: The Scientific Consensus on Climate Change -- Oreskes 306 (5702): 1686 -- Science

Obviously, I understand the other interests represented here. People who make a living off of mining coal are obviously very concerned about stalling the coal industry. However, as Barack Obama said, he just wants stricter standards for the coal industry, not to "decimate" or "eliminate" it. That's a part of a transition to cleaner energy.

Also, I've heard several posters decry the "leftists" and for wanting a more comprehensive energy policy, but that partisan language doesn't hold much water. I'm just a normal person who thinks we to start thinking much more about sustainability. That means that the less we have to rely on the non-renewable resources of coal and oil -- regardless of whether it is domestic or imported -- the better. It's just common sense to me that we can have clean energy, energy independence, and job creation simultaneously, but the resistance to this notion is astounding. That isn't something that is reserved for "the future," that is something that can start today.

Last edited by Duderino; 11-03-2008 at 08:30 AM..

Old 11-03-2008, 08:36 AM

You know, I was thinking. Coal at one time was the "alternative energy". The other energy was wood. Then oil became alternative energy. My question is which government program, which cap and trade, which penalty made people make the transition. How did Colonel Drake fund his drilling in Titusville? How did Oil City come about? The answer is the "alternative" energy of the time all made sense and people flocked to them on their own. None of the alternate energy of today can survive outside the lab.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:40 AM

565 posts, read 1,413,078 times
Here is the whole video interview:

NewsBusters.org | Exposing Liberal Media Bias
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania