U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-04-2008, 02:32 PM

6 posts, read 15,856 times
Default Hunting in Eastern PA

I am considering a move to Eastern PA. How is the hunting? I would be relocating from Arizona. I just finihed hunting for the year and was able to score a nice size elk! I understand it is mostly deer in PA. Is most of the hunting from tree stands?

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 10:54 AM

944 posts, read 2,167,411 times
There is very little public land in Eastern PA. Unless you have permission to hunt on private land, your choices are limited. You can hunt on Game Commission land, but tree stands are not allowed. I think the same is true of some state parks. I personally gave up hunting about 5 years ago so I could spend more time steelhead fishing.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:49 PM

21,873 posts, read 15,501,452 times
I'm not a hunter but know a lot of people that do hunt, there's plenty of opportunities and places to hunt. State game lands is pretty unique to PA ans is one of the reasons it has such large population of hunters. As far as the stand goes I beleive you can use one but it has to be one of those that doesn't harm the tree, e.g no pounding nails or using spikes. You'd have to look that up.

Pennsylvania Game Commission - State Wildlife Management Agency: Where To Go? (http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=460&Q=173400&PM=1 - broken link)

Pennsylvania Game Commission - State Wildlife Management Agency: Adopted 2008-2009 Hunting Seasons and Bag Limits (http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=460&q=161003 - broken link)

Old 11-07-2008, 06:28 AM

519 posts, read 1,635,791 times
There is a lot more hunting land in central and western pa than eastern pa. Also, you can apply for an elk license to hunt elk in elk county. There is a herd of elk there, and they have a lottery every year to see who gets the elk licenses.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 6,717 times
Default hunting..

Hi Jerry, this answer is way out of your area, but I've lived in West Virginia for 7yrs (moving to PA in January) and the hunting is fabulous here,I don't hunt btw, but have many friends who do. Gun,Bow,turkey,bear and deer are very popular. Depending how far east in PA you are, the WV panhandle may be doable for you. I have a friend who is an outfitter and I can get you some info if needed.
I am currently 5hrs from Lancaster and am surrounded by 400 acres of state huntable land and the area really caters to hunting seasons with discounts on lodging, licensing and everything else you need. Many go out on horseback and camp for days.
Anyhow, something to consider!
LB

Old 11-11-2008, 08:34 AM

205 posts, read 506,400 times
Eastern PA is a large area, from Philadelphia to Pike county. I know during hunting season, there are tons of hunters all up rts 33, 476, 80, and 380. There are a lot of game lands up north of the Appalachian Trail. As for elk though, I have never even seen one in PA. We sure do have a lot of deer though.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:12 AM

1,583 posts, read 2,945,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyrocks View Post
As for elk though, I have never even seen one in PA.

Several years ago the PA Game Commission repopulated an Elk herd in of all places, Elk County, PA. There used to be Elk in PA, but were hunted out many years ago. The herd has done very well and now you can enter a lottery to hunt them if you so desire.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:06 PM

21 posts, read 33,670 times
The elk are beautiful up there, and the herd is thriving. They still have a lottery and limit the number of elk to be harvested.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:13 AM

10,876 posts, read 7,557,759 times
Road maps provided by the state show state game lands. I believe you can also hunt in state forests. I hunted down by Hopewell state park once but usually stayed on land owned by the townships. It was heavily hunted by people from Philly and Montgomery county and seeing 3 or 4 guys 100 yards from you makes me nervous. It's been 15+ years since I hunted, so I'm not sure where its still allowed. It might be easier to just hit one, I've hit two with the car.
Berks had talk about limiting deer hunting to slug guns and shotguns due to increased housing development. They seem to have shelved the idea.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:19 AM

4 posts, read 5,416 times
Default First time hunting in a LOOONG time need help please

I live in Manheim,PA and I also am looking for a place to hunt,are there any state game lands that you have a good chance of actually bagging one and not being bagged by some other hunter. Im willing to travel up to around a 3 hour radius.So if anyone has any good information I would deeply appreciate it.My father and I are trying to plan a trip. My father hasn't hunter since returning from Vietnam in 1969 and I've not hunted since 1993 on Ft.Benning and it was like shooting domesticated deer. I was wounded in Iraq in 2004 and I can only now return to walking/hiking in long distances over a series of short distances. So if anyone knows of any game lands that have good numbers or odds in the radius I mentioned above. It would be awesome if someone on here owns property and would welcome me to hunt on their property.I'd be willing to pay but it wouldn't be much as I live off of my military disability which isn't much. My Dad is getting older and its likely one of the very last times I may be able to hunt with him if not the only chance. So any assistance or advice will be deeply appreciated.
Private message me if you own property and would like to help me out, or if you have good solid information about state game land you don't want to share with everyone please private message me. This means so much to me to be able to finally hunt with my father for the first time. Thank you everyone!! I will provide proof of my service and being wounded in Iraq as I am more than familiar with the scam artists, as I spend a great deal of time at the VA hospital and their everywhere.Walkers and crutches inside but briskly walking across Home Depot parking lot carrying bags of quickcrete. It infuriates me!! Thank you all in advance for any assistance you can offer.
I remain,Respectfully Yours,
SFC.Todd C
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania