Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 07:10 AM

712 posts, read 1,971,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
I hope this question isn't too off-topic. Can anyone tell me how high utility bills are in or near Erie? Does your electric bill say how many cents per KWH it is? Does your gas bill say how many cents per CCF or whatever? And does it have various surcharges, etc.? Does anyone who has moved there recently have an impression of whether the utility costs are higher or lower than most places?
I have cousins that lives over on the east side - what they cal the burbs, and their electric bill and gas bill as the same as the state average.

I believe that they have First Energy - Penelec for electricity and Penelec has the same rate - basically for the whole state.

I also believe that they have National Fuel for their home heating fuel and National Fuel has the lowest rates in the state for Natural gas.

The problem is not with the utility costs, which is determined by how warm the summer is and how cold the winter is. Obviously - if you leave the television and lights on all day and run the air conditioning all summer - you are going to have a high electric bill and if you turn the thermostat up to 80* and open the windows you are going to have a high gas bill in the winter.

The main problem is that there is no employment opportunities. Places like GAF and Koehler beer and some of the machine shops have closed and places like GE and the shops that supports it - are also on the way out.

The tire place was going to be built where the Koehler plant was at and they were going to consume massive amounts of water and then discharge the polluted water back into Lake Erie. When you crap in your own nest, it is not long until you make your home a unliveable place to live.

Water is a key factor in life, no clean water, no liveable place to live.

There are lot's of part time employment opportunities as long as you are willing to work for min wage up at the mall. But as far as finding a place to live - that you can live on what you make and be a single person - forget it. It takes two or three paychecks just to live in Erie.

As far as Wesleyville goes and people calling it the hood, I went to dances at the VFW on Saturday nights and those were some of the friendliest people out there and I never worried about where I parked my car or even if the doors were locked.

I am a country boy and don't like cities, but there is no place in Erie where I am afraid to go. For the most part, all the people up there are nice people, they just don't make a lot of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 01:13 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet Superman View Post
The tire place was going to be built where the Koehler plant was at
Once again ... wrong. You really ought to verify your information before you post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3CardMonty View Post
With the possible exception of The Boston Store and some of the Gannon off-campus apartments, most of downtown is a dump. Almost anything east of State Street and North of 38th (Mercyhurst Campus where the 'burbs begin) is an absolute cesspit as you get closer to the lake, all the way out to, and including, Harborcreek.
That's hilarious! Have you even been to Lakeside, or Lawrence Park, or Harborcreek? All three neighborhoods are absolutely safe and well-tended. Wait'll I tell my mom; she'll get the Lawrence Park Garden Club after you.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:24 AM

3 posts, read 17,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Once again ... wrong. You really ought to verify your information before you post.

That's hilarious! Have you even been to Lakeside, or Lawrence Park, or Harborcreek? All three neighborhoods are absolutely safe and well-tended. Wait'll I tell my mom; she'll get the Lawrence Park Garden Club after you.
Lawrence Park is pretty nice, but a lot of the houses are starting to show their age. See those slate roofs on some of the older duplexes? That's not slate, it's asbestos. Harborcreek isn't much better. Is it a ghetto? Probably not, but there are plenty of people living in sub-standard housing, crammed together like sardines in their dilapidated tenement row-houses.

Last edited by 3CardMonty; 11-11-2009 at 05:07 AM..

Old 11-11-2009, 05:49 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times
Quote:
Harborcreek isn't much better. Is it a ghetto? Probably not, but there are plenty of people living in sub-standard housing, crammed together like sardines in their dilapidated tenement row-houses.
Oh My God......................who the hell are you people? Harborcreek isn't even close to "sub-standard" in living. I probably have more fingers on one hand than there are "sub standard" properties in Harborcreek Township. Some of the most beautiful farm properties and subdivisions are in Harborcreek.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:13 PM

3 posts, read 17,463 times
I might have been quick to lump in harborcreek, but I was referring more to the area around Buffalo Road and the East Way Plaza, and all the tiny little houses full of people who are no longer working for GE.

You're right, if it qualifies as farmland, it's probably more hillbilly than ghetto, but just look at Millcreek. Tons of nice houses, lots of nice people, but tucked away in between residential and commercial areas there are at least a dozen trailer parks inside of a few square miles, and at least as many dive bars full of low-lifes.

Is Erie ghetto? Yep, the city of Erie is pretty ghetto, and the suburbs really only look good in comparison.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:06 AM

Quote:
You're right, if it qualifies as farmland, it's probably more hillbilly than ghetto,
You are unbelievably clueless and ignorant.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:09 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
The Eastway Plaza is a disgrace, but that's about all I'll agree with.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The Eastway Plaza is a disgrace, but that's about all I'll agree with.
It's sad that it is so empty, but even at that, it's not run down looking.

The "hillbillies" he refers to I'm sure have more money than the poster will ever see.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:34 AM

2 posts, read 5,100 times
Harborcreek is beautiful and so NOT ghetto. My Aunt lives there and has for years. As far as hillbillies go, I think not. She is a Registered Nurse and her husband works at GE, has for over 20 years, and they make a lot of money. They own a gorgeous house and they are surrounded by beautiful homes. I have no clue where these people are getting their information from.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:41 PM

19 posts, read 57,036 times
ok i gotta ask what go yall consider ghetto cause where i live right now is ghetto and will be movin the family to erie in 6 months. y i say where i live is ghetto i get crack whores bringin their jons down to the dead end where i live and i have pulled guns on many of them to run them off.no im not in pa im in florida right now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania