Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2007, 09:04 AM

2 posts, read 1,850 times

Advertisements

The far eastern part of the state is the worst. It's just another part NY/NJ/DC. In fact, it would be great if we could change the stateline to exclude it. If you are more into the Midwestern small town attitude, then the rest of the state is perfect. Low crime, friendly people, family-oriented, great outdoor activities, and great schools. The quality of life is fantastic. My friends and family live throughout Central and Western PA. Some of them love that their towns don't have traffic lights. They would rather have that then the "sprawl". This state would be perfect except for the eastern half.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 09:51 AM

85 posts, read 249,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miragenine View Post
Thanks Dee Dee and TLA for your information. Its good to know. But are places like Coudersport, Westfield, Covington and Port Allegany around where you're telling us to stay away from? Does the snow get real bad, I mean real, real bad? And are these areas like Coudersport etc., are they the ones with the meth lab problems or do we have ourselves all turned around in the wrong direction?

Whatever you guys can help us with we'd be really thankful! But one more question about these areas if you don't mind, but we saw houses for like 15 thousand and 30-35 thousand dollars in the Sullivan County area. Would this be a nice area or one to also stay away from?

Thx!!
Coudersport does get more snow than areas like Westfield....However, snow is really not the issues with these areas. I grew up in these areas and it has gone down hill considerably over the past 10 years. The major employers in the Westfield area are the Electric Cord, Westan (a tanning factory) and The gas company in Sabinsville. The tannery went out of business a couple years ago and I think the electric cord is also out of business or atleast struggling. The gas company is a very unfriendly place to work from what I hear. Of course drugs are also around - they are everywhere. If you are looking for jobs, in my opinion......start in a different state! Currently my family is living in Wellsboro, the Tioga Co. seat....high property taxes, high school taxes, and there are atleast 3 houses listed for sale per street! And worst of all....NO JOBS!!! Sorry don't mean to sound so to the point but if I could move...I would already be gone.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:03 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
bbr,
I also do not like the Sprawl in Eastern PA and we've tried to escape it by moving to the Lehigh Valley, however, it's creeping this way too. That said, we do live in a small town that acts like a small town. Halloween parade, community festivals, many more churches then bars or even restaurants, a tiny farmers market during the summer months where local farms and orchards display and sell their produce on card tables at the local park. Most kids participate in Scouts, youth groups, sports or dance teams.And friendly people. Please don't assume that there is a massive urban area with city people all up and down the east side of PA, because it's not true.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:01 AM

3 posts, read 23,346 times
My husband and I both grew up in West Chester, love it there, and hope to move back. We've been living in Coatesville for the past year, but are ready for a change. Hopefully in the next year or so we'll be able to be ready to plunk down the money for a house in West Chester. W. C. has changed alot since I've been a kid, yet it's still home to me. After living there then moving to Coatesville, we realized how spoiled we were. Coatesville doesn't even have a grocery store in the city - you have to drive to Thorndale. There's tons of little things like that which make Coatesville not the nicest place to live. Coatesville just looks tired, worn out and beat up, compared to W.C. The stores, schools, organizations, and events in W.C. are amazing compared to Coatesville.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:03 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,353 times
By now perhaps some of you read the recent rating in CNN's Money magazine. My town, Nether Providence (Wallingford) was voted NINTH in the COUNTRY to live - based upon a particular criteria. I hope you can access this link : MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2007: Nether Providence (Wallingford), PA snapshot

Old 08-28-2007, 06:15 PM

4 posts, read 39,239 times
Default Lehigh Valley

You should check out the Lehigh Valley...
I moved here two years ago and find it appealing
to everyone....there is culture, nice weather, great
restaurants, shopping, sports, and the geography
of being within one to two hours of major cities
and the beach!
I've traveled all over PA and believe this area has
it all in terms of job growth and variety of
leisure activities...forgot to mention education!
many universities and colleges!

Old 08-28-2007, 08:12 PM

214 posts, read 241,762 times
I was born and raised in Duncansville around Altoona, then moved to the suburbs of Pittsburgh in my teen years, then State College for 5 years, then Philly for 3 years. Then left to Denver and came back to Pittsburgh. I personally love State College area. Lots of hiking, biking, fishing, etc. If you like cities then do visit Pittsburgh or Philly and make your pick. They both are very underrated and misunderstood by people who never been to each one. Pittsburgh is a gem. It is a clean(believe it or not), historic, and cool city with tons of character hidden in the foot hills of the Appalachians. Philly is old, tons of character, historic, and bigger though. The good thing about Philly is it is closer to bigger cities in the East and the shore. Pittsburgh is closer to more outdoor recreational oppertunities like the Laural Highlands to the south east of it. Just visit different towns. There are tons of cool old towns in Pa. THere are also more depressing old minning towns and industrial towns in western pa and central pa also.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:25 PM

214 posts, read 241,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealerpal View Post
It's just my opinion. I base it on my experiences there. I feel the area's going nowhere unless you count new stadiums and sports related improvements. Aside from that, there's not much there. Low paying jobs, poverty, bad roads, crime, undesireables.

Just my opinion though.
Pleaassseee. Why do you always have people who post such ignorant comments. Just sports related improvements. Haha. OK, having the most built LEED design buildings per capita(google LEED if you don't know what it is), the southside works (noticed as the country's best brownfield urban design project), the new PNC building downtown(Going for LEED also), downtown being renovated out with retail and restaurants, the north link for the light rail, and so much more. Also I am a young professional architectural engineer that came back. I love the burgh.

For your other comments (this as I came back from Denver0
Low paying jobs: (seems weird to me, because I read a article in the Post Gazette where they are paying young professionals more then most other cities and it is cheaper to live. I myself am making an healty amount more then I did in Denver)

Poverty: Have you ever been anywhere else besides you little suburb that you grew up in? Every city has poverty, and Pittsburgh has a lot less then Philly and the other eastern cities. Ever go to Shadyside, Squirell hill? I thought so.

Crime:OK, maybe more then that little two car garage suburb you grew up in, but Pittsburgh ranks very well with other cities in its crime rate.

Nothing to do: We have some of the best museums for a city our size, we got three major sports teams, we got great theaters, a good music scene, you can leave the city and go to Fallingwater, the Laural Highlands, hiking, etc. Maybe its just yourself that finds nothing to do.

Bad roads, I will give you that. We have bad roads. That is our Western Pa character though. Who cares if you have nice level asphalt to drive on? Seriously.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:53 PM

12 posts, read 57,432 times
stay away from huntingdon county blair also look in fulton county like mercersburg nice town close to hagerstown md also

Old 09-22-2007, 09:14 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,958 times
Gettysburg is not even in York County--it's about 40 miles away! There are parts of York county that are old, but have you seen the new building and housing developments? Who do you think can afford these houses? People with well paying jobs, most likely with higher education and expectations that their children will achieve the same. I find the influx, for the most part, refreshing. Sure, the traffic is worse, everything is more crowded, but we survive. York County is slow to change, it used to annoy me no end to hear "we've always done it that way." Now I just find it adds to the uniqueness of the type of people who live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania