U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-12-2008, 07:58 PM

3 posts, read 14,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by micatee View Post
Small little town in Western Pa....New Castle..........economy bad and city is dying. No where to shop other than Walmart and a few other businesses. You maybe able to get housing resonable and they did build a new beautiful high school, but jobs are pretty much at a minimum.
are you kidding about businessies...New Castle is right next to Grove City Outlet mall...a few miles away for fun is Kraynaks...a Christmas and Easter wonderland of fun that I now take my grandkids too..Daffins candies..the best chocolate made.. USIS is also close by...but you have to have skills...no training, college or tech school training needed...just know how
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 02:05 PM

35 posts, read 88,370 times
I will say after moving to Tremont Pa. from Connecticut, that this is the epitemy of small town idyllic. While New England has much to do in a small area, I find the mountains, lifestyle, and cost of living wonderful! It is also the only town in Schuylkill County with an increase in population, 4.5%. I work out of town in Harrisburg, and consider my town a bedroom community. Nice, quiet, on the upswing, and the money that can be saved on housing, taxes, and living in general is quickly becoming a draw, and allows a family more cash for home improvement, travel, or whatever. Less money needed equals less pressure, I feel this town may be the last bastion of sane housing 'bang for your buck' anywhere in Pa. People are taking pride in their homes and community after a depressed period resulting form the demise of the coal industry. Come visit our town and find the pleasant surprise that is a growing Tremont.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:55 AM

347 posts, read 795,608 times
Pine Grove PA is also a nice community in southern Schuylkill Conty and Pottsville has a very historic and beautiful city with a 1920s era central business district.

Tremont PA

Old 01-22-2009, 10:50 AM

4 posts, read 6,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miragenine View Post
We would like to relocate to PA. What would be the best town which is also reasonably affordable? And what would be the ultimate worst and areas to stay way away from?

Thanks!
Miragenine, it's my first time trying out a forum so bare with me.... I noticed date was 2006, but just curious if you did end up relocating to PA, and if so, in what general area? I was looking up best small towns in PA (moving back there from NJ) and it brought me to this forum.... I do agree re Gettysburg area and Bucks County being good areas.... I was previously living in Schuylkill County, PA.... have to travel toward reading or allentown, fogelsville/trexlertown areas for jobs (30 mins) for the most part, and major stores/malls are about 20-30 mins as well, not a real hopping area, pretty though. That's kind of what made it nice though, simpler, good schools, very affordable, great area to raise kids in.... there is a cabelas and a few fast food places/restaurants/grocery stores and they are currently just starting to build walmart by cabela's.... great old-fashioned amusement park 1 hr north called Knoebel's and Hersheypark and Dorneypark are 1 hr, train ride (WK&S) in Kempton and a funplex (Ollie's) 10 mins or so.... well, I hope wherever you landed, it is working out for you.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:37 PM

1 posts, read 5,117 times
I may be relocating to the PA area, specifically working in Wilkes-Barre. I have children and want them to go to schools with a diverse population of students and also want to live in a diverse community. What towns near Wilkes-Barre should I consider that are family oriented and safe?

Old 03-06-2009, 09:42 AM

2 posts, read 5,964 times
am looking for rlatives and those knowing the families of Sobotor{shamokin pa] and Kuzma charles and or thopse knowing any decendants] just want email pals{penpals} am 73 just trying to rekindel [email]memories.Rsobotor@msn.com[/email] now living in puyallup washington 34 miles south of seattle

Old 05-09-2009, 10:21 PM

1 posts, read 4,597 times
I can't believe you loved Lansford! Why? My husband and I are originally from Lansford, but after we got married we moved away and have never lived in PA since, but we go back regularly to visit family. Once upon a time, Lansford was a great little town. The main industry was coal mining, and when the mines were operating, the town was bustling with business. The downtown had a nice variety of stores, the town kept the streets in good condition, homeowners took pride in their property and kept things clean and well maintained. Now, there is NO industry, the town is falling apart - literally. The old Lansford High School building was just sold for $150.00. That's right - one hundred and fifty dollars! It too is falling apart. Right across the street from the school is St. Ann's Catholic Church which closed it's doors. The exterior of the church is rotting. Very sad state of affairs. Oh, the homowners who used to keep things clean and well maintained? They are either dead or have left town. Most of the houses are in very, very sad shape and are mostly owned by absent slumlords. Evidently, most of the houses are occupied by state and federal welfare recipients.
So, why did you love Lansford????

Old 11-10-2009, 02:25 PM

12 posts, read 23,525 times
carlilse pa has the worst and highest sex offenders in the whole of penslvanyia DANGER ZONE POLICE LET RAPIST GET AWAY STAY AWAY WOMEN AND CHIDREN NOT SAFE

Old 11-10-2009, 07:29 PM

12,930 posts, read 19,487,070 times
How is STATE COLLEGE, PA? That has always seemed like it could be interesting...

Old 11-11-2009, 10:51 AM

261 posts, read 429,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Unfortunately most of our fellow Pennsylvanians are too uneducated to understand what urban sprawl truly is. It's amazing to me that a state with nearly stagnant population growth can be paving over its farmlands and woodlands at the 5th-fastest rate in the nation while nobody seems to care. When all of Eastern PA resembles NJ you'll FINALLY start to see people waking up---too late that is.

It is disgusting to see what is happening to our once beautiful state. Thankfully high energy prices and the credit crisis are slowing down the suburban sprawl cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania