Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 12:44 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
City-data is mainly a relocation forum so why would they hang out here? .
City-data forums has evolved to be much more than that - but most people would only find it if they were looking to relocate. For me it's been the place to go to find good restaurants and such too. Is there another site where people do 'hang out' on locally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
What areas are you looking at? I'd recommend a place in between Harrisburg and Lancaster city so you would have either city to choose from for employment.
I won't look for specific areas until I get a job offer. Even then I'd have to rent first until I sold my house on Long Island (who knows how long that will take). I know that's going to be difficult though with my fur kids - I have 4 indoor cats and 5 birds. So for renting, I may have to take whatever I can. After that, I'd like a short commute to work (less than 45 minutes) and a little piece of land I could call my own. I don't have to worry about schools as I have no children. I would like to have a place where I can be near a stable so I could eventually board horses at. I don't think I can afford a place large enough to have horses at home, not yet anyway. And it must have good land for an extensive veggie garden! But that probably describes a pretty big chunk of Lancaster County, huh?

Right now I have a 1248 sq foot house on .21 acres, so I'd be looking for a similar sized house, but at least twice the land. I'm hoping to find what I'm looking for at around 200K, depending on the salary I can get down there. I've seen things south west of Lancaster City that seem to be reasonably priced, but I'm not sure of the area. Would have to do some searching in the area once I was ready to move. Renting might give me the time I need to really find out where I want to live. I don't want to move too much. I hate packing and unpacking!

Thanks for all the info. I have another question for you. What local paper would give me the best local flavor for the area? Do they have an online version?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 01:15 PM

558 posts, read 1,835,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
Thanks for all the info. I have another question for you. What local paper would give me the best local flavor for the area? Do they have an online version?
LancasterOnline.com: Your Lancaster County News, Sports & Weather Source

Central PA Local News, Breaking News, Sports & Weather - PennLive.com

Merchandiser - Elizabeth - Mount Joy Edition

EngleOnline Home

Old 11-26-2008, 02:54 PM

371 posts, read 938,306 times

Saved these...Some interesting reading here!!!

Old 11-27-2008, 07:26 AM

955 posts, read 4,089,728 times
My wife grew up in Lancaster County - Elizabethtown. Until just a couple years ago we had a house there, we sold it when our daughter who had been living there moved to Colorado. We still get over there occasionally. I guess we are still thinking about moving back after we retire, but my wife really would like a place at the shore.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:42 PM

24 posts, read 109,355 times
I was born and raised in Lancaster County, graduated college, left for a couple years, and found myself back here. I can tell you anything you want to know - or at least I can try!! I do have to agree with Lakeland Yankee, you do long to come back here when you leave - which I NEVER thought would happen. I also was very unemployed for over a year in Rhode Island and then the Reading Area, I came back home to Lititz and had a job within 3 days - actually, TWO jobs. As for why we don't post often: I only come on here when I have a question about another state, then I go to their forums and always end up checking out PA's just to see if I can help someone else. (looking for good Karma maybe?!) I'd be happy to answer any of your questions. I also wanted to add - I went to Bloomsburg, which is up there, and I found a lot of people up in NEPA were the opposite of out-going and friendly. Sort-of in a Hill-jacky kind of way. But that could just have been because I was a college kid too...

Old 11-30-2008, 08:09 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrisweel View Post
I was born and raised in Lancaster County, graduated college, left for a couple years, and found myself back here. I can tell you anything you want to know - or at least I can try!! I do have to agree with Lakeland Yankee, you do long to come back here when you leave - which I NEVER thought would happen. I also was very unemployed for over a year in Rhode Island and then the Reading Area, I came back home to Lititz and had a job within 3 days - actually, TWO jobs. As for why we don't post often: I only come on here when I have a question about another state, then I go to their forums and always end up checking out PA's just to see if I can help someone else. (looking for good Karma maybe?!) I'd be happy to answer any of your questions. I also wanted to add - I went to Bloomsburg, which is up there, and I found a lot of people up in NEPA were the opposite of out-going and friendly. Sort-of in a Hill-jacky kind of way. But that could just have been because I was a college kid too...
Thanks for the offer. What's a hill-jacky? Guess I'm going to have to learn a new language when I move!

I just applied for a job this evening, and I'm hoping something will come of it. I'll be down that way in less than two weeks to do a little Christmas shopping with a friend and see the sights for the holidays. Maybe I'll be down again for an interview or two. Seems like the job market is still doing well down there and the job offerings that I've seen with salary information are dang close to what I'm making up here, and we have a much higher cost of living so the same money will go further there. I pay $6500 in taxes for a 1200 sq foot house on .21 acres! And it should be higher because I added a room where the old garage used to be and a deck, but never reported it. I'll have to do that when I sell and it will probably jack up the taxes to close to 8000.

Once I get a position, I'll be looking for information on specific towns to avoid or seek out when trying to find a rental with pets. I'll have to rent until my house in NY sells since I won't be able to afford two mortgages. If God smiles on me, perhaps I can find a place to rent until I can buy it when my house closes. I was able to do that with my first home and it was great.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:08 PM

24 posts, read 109,355 times
Hill-jacky, or Hill-jack, is just a slang word for a hick. I just didn't want to come right out and say it!

Old 12-02-2008, 01:22 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,287 times
Default Crime in Lancaster?

Isnt crime a issue in Lancaster county though? I havent been there in some time but those i spoke to from Lancaster said Lancaster city gets worse & worse yearly. I heard about a large latino community with gang issues. Any truth?

And overall how is the current job market in Lancaster County? Has the economy hurt Lancaster much?

Thanks!!

Old 12-02-2008, 03:29 AM

371 posts, read 938,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Isnt crime a issue in Lancaster county though? I havent been there in some time but those i spoke to from Lancaster said Lancaster city gets worse & worse yearly. I heard about a large latino community with gang issues. Any truth?

And overall how is the current job market in Lancaster County? Has the economy hurt Lancaster much?

Thanks!!
This I would be interested in hearing more about...
Whats the local gun laws like for a law abiding person such as myself also...
Places to shoot legal and such???
Am I an outcast right away because of my hobby???

Thanks

Old 12-02-2008, 06:22 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRed View Post
This I would be interested in hearing more about...
Whats the local gun laws like for a law abiding person such as myself also...
Places to shoot legal and such???
Am I an outcast right away because of my hobby???

Thanks
Owning a gun here is not an issue. A friend of mine owns several and he goes to a range nearby. Alot of people go hunting as well so you won't be shunned for that. As far as crime is concerned, let's face it, it's everywhere. My wife and I witnessed a drug deal in the Wal-Mart parking lot in Ephrata last Saturday night. The key is to find out where the trouble spots are. I'm not sure of the Webpage but there has to be one so you can check it. I can only speak for Lititz and the crime here is low. We get mostly vandalism, DUI'S, petty thefts, etc. No matter where you live there are always bank and convenience store robberies. Based on my experiences the closer you are to a big city the better chance you'll be a victim of crime. Not always but a fair chance. Certain parts of Lancaster City have major crime issues and some gang activity but it's isolated. The western part of the city is beautiful. State College and Lancaster County have the lowest unemployment in the state. Jobs are still available, despite the nation's economy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania