U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Are you Buying or Renting?
Buying 8 44.44%
Renting 10 55.56%
Living With Family (Not Renting) 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 10:27 AM

463 posts, read 973,136 times

Advertisements

I was just curious how many of us live in places we own or are just renting?

I'm renting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 10:59 PM

3,191 posts, read 3,974,038 times
We rent..........we hear it all the time, "blah blah blah, you should invest in a home".

We love to live a carefree lifestyle. My wife has a great career and has the usual Monday through Friday hours, while I have a very strange work schedule, so our time together is extra precious. We love to travel for pleasure and like to just pick up and go. Plus another good example....yesterday she sent me a text saying that the sewer had backed up.................................not our problem. We've had other problems in our year here and it's so nice to know that it's someone elses problem and expense.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:05 AM

97 posts, read 240,290 times
Buying is the only way too go. Why pay the landlords mortgage? Love the tax benefits

Old 12-02-2008, 08:10 AM

7,939 posts, read 9,702,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
We rent..........we hear it all the time, "blah blah blah, you should invest in a home".

We love to live a carefree lifestyle. My wife has a great career and has the usual Monday through Friday hours, while I have a very strange work schedule, so our time together is extra precious. We love to travel for pleasure and like to just pick up and go. Plus another good example....yesterday she sent me a text saying that the sewer had backed up.................................not our problem. We've had other problems in our year here and it's so nice to know that it's someone elses problem and expense.

Sure, but your rent will keep going up, my mortgage payment will always be the same, plus my mortgage payment is an investment in something that I own and will make money on at some point. Your rent payment is doing this for your landlord. My mortgage payment for my house that I bought 6 years ago is already lower than what I would pay to rent a small apartment today.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:06 AM

519 posts, read 1,705,837 times
Where I live, it is cheaper for me to buy than to rent. Last year, I bought a nice ranch house and my monthly payment for mortgage, taxes and insurance is $632. The rent alone on a similar house would be about $800.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:19 PM

61 posts, read 123,899 times
I'm with Scott.. I like renting.. if something breaks I call the owner.. no lawn work, no maintenance, no raking leaves. i can pick up and leave with a couple months notice. Home is where the heart is.. not the "investment".

Old 12-02-2008, 09:31 PM

463 posts, read 973,136 times
I rent currently, but I'll try to buy once I have an income level that allows be to do so.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:12 AM

3,191 posts, read 3,974,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoMatt View Post
I'm with Scott.. I like renting.. if something breaks I call the owner.. no lawn work, no maintenance, no raking leaves. i can pick up and leave with a couple months notice. Home is where the heart is.. not the "investment".
We have a beautiful apartment, but one of my goals in life is to see as much of the world as possible, so I could care less about investing hundreds of thousands of dollars in to some castle.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:43 PM

160 posts, read 403,574 times
I am buying, but would really like to be selling soon. I want to downsize -- the townhouse I have now (2-3 bedrooms, 3.5 bathrooms) is just way too big for one person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania