Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 06:33 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelingman View Post
I love outdoor activities.
If you come any time of year, there's plenty outdoors to do at Presque Isle: hiking, biking, birdwatching, fishing. In the summer there's swimming, or course, or renting a canoe or a kayak and paddling through the lagoons in the park.

Waldameer now has a first-rate roller coaster as well as a water park.

Here's some info to get you started:

Erie Pennsylvania ...Feel the Lake Effect

Pennsylvania State Parks - Presque Isle - PA DCNR

Waldameer Amusement Park Water World, Water Park Erie, PA vacation near Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh

Welcome to the Erie Zoo!

You don't have to be a kid to go here:

Home

If the weather's crappy, you can always hit the slots parlor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 07:24 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Is the municipal golf course still there? That's the only course I ever played that was surrounded by a neighborhood on all sides.
It's still there, but I think it's been closed because of budget shortfalls.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:30 PM

55 posts, read 189,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Is the municipal golf course still there? That's the only course I ever played that was surrounded by a neighborhood on all sides.
There are 3 municipal/city-owned golf courses in Erie (though Erie Golf Course has been closed for the past year after extensive renovations and a budget mess/real estate deal with Millcreek Township where it is actually located). Downing and JC Martin (aka Glenwood) are the two others. JC Martin sounds like the one you played... only a little 9-hole mainly used by kids.

Erie actually has a wide variety of great courses in the area to choose from. The major country clubs in the area are Kahkwa, Lakeview, Lawrence Park, and Lakeshore. Of those, Lakeview is the most challenging course. But you need to member for any of those. There are plenty of other nice courses open to the public though. The Erie region was actually ranked one of the top places in the nation a few years ago by Golf Digest for quality golf courses open to the public.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:08 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
^ Yes, 9 holes and I was a kid when I played. It was exactly like Oakmont.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:18 AM

55 posts, read 189,899 times
^ That first hole is actually quite challenging... a narrow 580 yd par 5. Hook one to the left and you're OB into the Erie Zoo (the fairway broders the bison). I think there is still a sign that says "Beware of Bison - Do Not Climb Fence to Retrieve Lost Ball".

Old 12-18-2008, 12:28 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
^ I was 16 when I played there and recall the course as being fairly easy. The only hole I remember specifically was a par 3 I think was 175 yards and the green was near a sidewalk/street. I hit the pin on the fly and thought I had a hole-in-one because a little kid was down there jumping up and down making a fuss. No hole-in-one yet it was always a fun course to play.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:25 PM

7 posts, read 9,456 times
Thank you, PeterRabbit. That "place that sells good sherbet" is Sara's. An Erie absolute must-see. They sell Smith's Hot Dogs, the best hot dogs in the world. Presque Isle (better known to locals as "The Peninsula") is also another place you have to go to. You can swim in the lake, walk across the bay in the winter when the ice is thick enough or rent a bike and go on the bike trail there. In the region is the Allegheny River, the perfect river for canoeing and kayaking (I should know, I've done it before). If my report was detailed enough, you may be surprised to know I'm not from Erie. But my mother is, which is why I always visit it so often.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:11 AM

44 posts, read 44,051 times
To hell with I-90, when driving to Buffalo from Erie take either state route 5 or US Route 20 and see the best that both NW PA and WNY have to offer. Plus you will save some money because Route 90 is a toll road. The NY Thruway is mediocre road anyways in terms of pavement conditions and the heavy truck traffic makes it unpleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania