U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 12-21-2008, 10:45 PM

6,652 posts, read 8,586,641 times
Default Need directions to Hooversville Reformed Church Cemetery

I know -- but apparently all my Kocher relatives are buried there. And I'd love to have pictures. Which I can take when I go home in October -- but I can't find an address to the place (I'm betting the church is long gone, but the cemetery remains), so I can't find directions.

It's just a shot in the dark....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-23-2008, 07:02 PM

1,313 posts, read 2,805,899 times
Hi, I tried to do a little research for you but couldn't find an actual address. It seems to be located in Quemahoning Township in Somerset County, PA, but some sites mention Shade township.
I found a site that seems to list everyone buried there...Hooversville Ref Cemetery but can't find the person who submitted the info.

Also, seems like that name and St. Paul's Lutheran Reformed Church come up together often, and the name Weigle Lutheran Church also...

Good luck finding it! Perhaps just call a church there....a pastor may know exactly where it is!

A site called Rootsweb.com has a message board that may help you.

Unread 12-24-2008, 10:52 AM

Thank you for trying -- that's exactly what I was finding, too. Whole lists of Kochers and not one address! I did find a possible historical society... I'll try there. I also found a funeral home. SURELY -- they would know.

Since my trip is in October, I've got time to plan. I've also got three or four cemeteries to go to.....

Unread 01-04-2009, 03:39 PM

Default Found it!!

There is a Hooversville Historical Society, and I wrote the lady who is in charge. Ms. Griffith replied, very quickly!

The cemetery is located off Barn St. (Rte 403). The Church was founded in 1837 and is on the historical registry (I haven't located that yet). it looks (on Google Maps) to be at the corner of South and Sugar, although above Barn St. there looks to be another cemetery on South and Clarke. Google gets real close, I can see headstones in both places.

Can't wait for October. My mom is going to get her sister in on this, so it'll be two crazy old ladies and me -- one crazy NOT so old lady, driving around Somerset and Bedford counties, walking through graveyards taking pictures, doing rubbings and lots of yelling! Everyone's hard of hearing so the volume does get raised!

Unread 01-04-2009, 04:08 PM

1,313 posts, read 2,805,899 times
That's wonderful! I'm glad you found it. Here's another idea for you...my dad, who is a genealogist by hobby, now goes online to http://www.findagrave.com/, and downloads info and photos of graves for his research and for other people. Seems like you can contact other registered users and request someone who lives near a grave site to go find your relative and take a pic. My dad does it all the time, and has found sites for other people.

And no, you're not crazy. I've been doing cemetery rubbings for my dad since grade school, all over the country. Some of us just get it more than others!

Unread 01-04-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightermom View Post
That's wonderful! I'm glad you found it. Here's another idea for you...my dad, who is a genealogist by hobby, now goes online to Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records, and downloads info and photos of graves for his research and for other people. Seems like you can contact other registered users and request someone who lives near a grave site to go find your relative and take a pic. My dad does it all the time, and has found sites for other people.

And no, you're not crazy. I've been doing cemetery rubbings for my dad since grade school, all over the country. Some of us just get it more than others!
Findagrave.com is the coolest. I found one of the other cemeteries I want to go on there, and some dear person made my day.

My paternal grandfather's lineage was always the talk of the family -- jumped ship in Baltimore in 1911, worked his way around the country, VERY RARELY talked about his family or homeland, and yet would say something that would be this absolutely delicious clue and then clam up and deny he said it -- so when I got into amateur genealogy, of course -- Grampa S. was the FIRST place I went digging.

And then one day as I working, it hit me -- Grandma Blanche's family. And while I was looking for the grave of a dear uncle who was buried in the Cooks Mills Cemetery -- I stumbled on a TON of Masons.... who apparently are my relatives. And this dear person named Kat took photos of some of the Mason graves. An uncle, Shannon O Mason died in service during WWI, but there is no notation that he died from the war. Knowing that name helped me find another Uncle that I had heard of on census records around the time I needed.

That's when I found out as tightlipped as my Grampa was -- Grandma Blanche was WORSE. Her own kids never knew their grandparents names. Blanche's mother died when Blanche was very young, and she and her brother were fostered to relatives, I figure since the dad had to work, he couldn't take care of tiny children... on his remarriage apparently he left them where they were for some reason. His second wife and he had three children and not one of Blanches kids had ever heard of them either. So my uncle was amazed to find out -- at the age of 76, his grandfather's name is Charles. Still haven't found the grandmother.

I do love doing this though....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania