Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 09:37 AM

2 posts, read 9,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandb View Post
Can anyone tell me what areas where the Amish don't live - no personal problem, just want to avoid driving around buggies and tourism traffic West side?

Car insurance costs? Utilities?

I hear schools are decent - Hempsfield, Manheim Township - umm, how "fast" are these kids growing up - I was just in Florida and have heard scary things like oral sex on the middle school buses, sex in general by 8th grade, problems with myspace (parents don't know what kids are into and writing about, sexual predators online etc.) Drugs? Alcohol? Respect for authority? How are the schools in Mount Joy/Marietta - I read "average".

Any info on neighborhoods, where to avoid, lower taxed up and coming areas etc. is appreciated... Thanks!
I've heard you want to stay away from Ephrata schools because of drugs. I went to Lancaster Catholic and loved it. (You don't have to be catholic) No fighting - etc.

I went to Hempfield for one semester (granted 20 yrs ago). Kids were very advance with drugs and sex. Butthat could be in every school district now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 10:00 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,707 times
Default Please Help

Thanks, best to you too, keep in touch when you get to Lancaster!

And yes can others from Lancaster County please fill us in on info on ---

shopping -

new stores/communities going up-

traffic areas-

roads being widened/changed--

Things for kids to do--

Good Restuarants-

And add any other helpful info you wish!

Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandb View Post
Positiveone,

We leave here June 27th and will be near family awhile - the house is up for sale and we have 2 potential buyers right now. Will ship a container mid June. (Gee, wonder where we'll live in between?!) Looking to actually buy in Lancaster in October or so. I feel for you with getting your home sale-ready - wishing you strength! Great school thread started by the way!

Can anyone out there give nitty gritty about the area - shopping, new stores/communities going up, traffic areas, roads being widened/changed, and things for kids to do!

In advance - thanks again!

Old 04-17-2007, 10:27 AM

266 posts, read 1,195,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurenut View Post
I've heard you want to stay away from Ephrata schools because of drugs.
If you've "heard" this, is it truly reliable? I have talked to many people who have very positive things to say about Ephrata schools- I LIVE in Ephrata, so these are folks whose kids have gone through the whole system. Did you know that Ephrata School district is one of the highest in the nation for giving out scholarships? Second only to some district in Texas. This was told to a group of parents by the principal of my daughter's school at a board meeting.

I have nothing but positives about my daughters' experiences in Clay Elementary as well (Ephrata school district).

Old 04-17-2007, 11:17 AM

64 posts, read 276,207 times
Question Case in point

It seems some of you are very enthusiastic about Ephrata schools, but why then does greatschools.net rate them only so-so (more like 6's and 7's), and another real estate website lists them as only "average"? I really wish I could find a site that would rate the "atmosphere" of the school, not just what they spit out on test scores. (test scores that rank where - against the county, the state, or nationwide - too complicated!)

Anyone? An opinion?

Old 04-17-2007, 03:15 PM

Default atmosphere

Honestly, I can say that the atmosphere of my kids' school is what I am most impressed about. The teachers all know the names of all the kids. There is a friendliness and respect among the kids that I am still surprised about - I had certainly been teased and/or bullied by the point my daughters are at - but there seems to be a strict no tolerance policy. The teachers are communicative and open, easy to contact and willing to talk to you ANYTIME. You can stop in and visit the class anytime.

I have a hard time believing I will find anything as good when we move, even though where I am moving to the schools are ranked VERY HIGH, some of the highest in the state of NY. I wish we could take our Clay school with us

I'm not sure what else to say to describe the atmosphere. Of course my experience is mainly with the one school, but like I said I have acquaintances who know about the others, and even a friend who is a teacher in the middle school. I do believe that the middle school may be where some of this negativity is coming from - it is HUGE, and a large socio-economic mix. At risk of sounding snobby, the kids destined for college are streamlined to the advanced classes and have little interaction with kids who are exhibiting some of the problem behavior.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:14 PM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty71 View Post
Honestly, I can say that the atmosphere of my kids' school is what I am most impressed about. The teachers all know the names of all the kids. There is a friendliness and respect among the kids that I am still surprised about - I had certainly been teased and/or bullied by the point my daughters are at - but there seems to be a strict no tolerance policy. The teachers are communicative and open, easy to contact and willing to talk to you ANYTIME. You can stop in and visit the class anytime.

I have a hard time believing I will find anything as good when we move, even though where I am moving to the schools are ranked VERY HIGH, some of the highest in the state of NY. I wish we could take our Clay school with us

I'm not sure what else to say to describe the atmosphere. Of course my experience is mainly with the one school, but like I said I have acquaintances who know about the others, and even a friend who is a teacher in the middle school. I do believe that the middle school may be where some of this negativity is coming from - it is HUGE, and a large socio-economic mix. At risk of sounding snobby, the kids destined for college are streamlined to the advanced classes and have little interaction with kids who are exhibiting some of the problem behavior.
Kitty,
How do the residents of Ephrata feel about the newer housing developments springing up? Any resentment? THe area around the hospital reminded me of my area of LI, older capes in well kept streets. Also, how is the area just off Walmart on Main Street? It looked a little seedy, but I'm not sure if it was just because these homes were very old.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:41 AM

Well, I'm probably coming from a biased place as I live in one of the newer areas - but I have never heard of anyone taking any flak for the developments. I have to admit myself it is a little shocking to see what has sprung up even in the past 5 years - more and more houses! - but as much as some may not want to admit, this has raised the median income etc. etc. and all these things do contribute positively to the schools - higher socioeconomic group usually means the schools get better and better. tough but true.

Yes, the area near Wal-Mart is definitely seedy. The more eastern part of Ephrata (probably starting behind Ephrata Hospital where you saw and beyond route 272 is generally the better area... less rentals etc. although there are other pockets of nice areas - Lake street from downtown Ephrata leads to a nice development, etc.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:29 PM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty71 View Post
Well, I'm probably coming from a biased place as I live in one of the newer areas - but I have never heard of anyone taking any flak for the developments. I have to admit myself it is a little shocking to see what has sprung up even in the past 5 years - more and more houses! - but as much as some may not want to admit, this has raised the median income etc. etc. and all these things do contribute positively to the schools - higher socioeconomic group usually means the schools get better and better. tough but true.

Yes, the area near Wal-Mart is definitely seedy. The more eastern part of Ephrata (probably starting behind Ephrata Hospital where you saw and beyond route 272 is generally the better area... less rentals etc. although there are other pockets of nice areas - Lake street from downtown Ephrata leads to a nice development, etc.
Thanks for the info. Hopefully, I'll still be able to stay on LI, but as healthcare dives in NY, its good to have a plan B. Me and the family will be going over to the area during the summer for our annual vacation.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:03 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,707 times
Default Pricey LI

We are originally from Long Island, we left the Island 10 years ago to get away from the crazy taxes and pricey homes. We moved to Vegas, but now that we have kids we are making a move to Lancaster PA to bring them up in a much better place then here.

The majority of the people I know on LI are just getting by, most have debt troubles and cant afford a house. Long Island is forcing out a lot of good people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Thanks for the info. Hopefully, I'll still be able to stay on LI, but as healthcare dives in NY, its good to have a plan B. Me and the family will be going over to the area during the summer for our annual vacation.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:20 PM

49 posts, read 217,863 times
What is Elizabethtown like? Is it a quiet suburb or a lot of suburban sprawl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania